Any one living in hurghada?

Hi, just been on holiday to Hurghada and it blew me away! so much so i am now in the process of purchasing a property and plan to move out there over the next few years.

i am looking to see what life is really like there day by day, crime or corruption.

What to look out for etc

hi there,

it gives many nice places in Hurghada for all the ages, for crimes and corruption you will find it every where all over the world , so wish you good luck :)))

)es Whalid, I'm aware there is crime and corruption all over thge world. That wasn't the question I asked!

you can go to Facebook , there is many groups like
facebook.com/groups/newhurghada2012/?bookmark_t=group
these are many groups in hurghada, you may find some it it useful for you,

Thanks, I will check these out when I get home to my laptop.:cool:

Have fun amiga :))

I go to Hurghada frequently for business. Honestly, the situation is not that good lately in terms of business and touristic life. And i do recommend you to wait some times to see what is going on in Egypt, not only in Hurghada.
I was there three weeks ago and i really chocked. Life is dead there more or less. This is not Hurghada we used to know few years ago!

OMG please be careful buying property here - there are many people who will try to help you part with your money

crime - very low

corruption - very high

downsides - flies, cockroaches, and egyptians who try to scam you

they will all love you as long as you buy them a car, lap top, flat - NEVER put your property in the name or half name of an egyptian - even if they try to persuade you that this is the only way you can purchase it is a lie

popular scams - mom,dad, aunt etc need an operation

anything that really gets you to part with any money - lol

good luck - contact me anytime you need anything i have lived here for 8 years and kind of know my way round all the bullshit x

Listen to fawny.. everything she says does go on.

It doesn't matter how sincere some people sound or look.. you don't trust anyone or anything you're told.. in time you will get wise and know who to trust.

Beautiful Country and lovely kind genuine people.. just a minority that spoil it.

Good luck

Hi
It is a great place
I am also buying in Hurghada, where abouts are you buying?

Peace and Blessings,

Like any other place, there are good spots and bad spots. Overall however, It is a beautiful place. My family have been out here a month and have pretty much had good experiences here. I would say definitely don't move in the city unless you like the congestion.

As far as corruption, It seems to be moreso on the presidential side hence the latest revolt in Cairo/Alex. We have found day by day life generally to be peaceful.

Hope this helps
Brother Ahmawan

littleenglishmiss wrote:

Hi, just been on holiday to Hurghada and it blew me away! so much so i am now in the process of purchasing a property and plan to move out there over the next few years.

i am looking to see what life is really like there day by day, crime or corruption.

What to look out for etc

Hi Mee1966.  I am buying in Hurghada.  Not sure which part yet until i get out there and have a good look round.

Regards
Sandra

Hello

My wife and I are living in Hurghada...... we have been here since March... so are relative newbies, one thing we have heard lot about is property problems.... if you are buying I hope you are wise and worldly.... promises that a building will be completed, lifts, swimming pools etc by a certain date are not even worth a pinch of salt.... involving a lawyer is no guarantee the paperwork will be correct, many people have lost their investment... also, I don't know your background, reasons for buying levels of cash involved etc. but my question is why buy? A rough calculation suggests that you can rent for 10 years, including utilities.  Renting also means no management and maintenance charges.. (depending on agreement of course) 

Here is sobering thought.. there are, we have been told, 30,0000 empty apartments in Hurghada, if anything this feels like an underestimate.. not that we've been going around counting them   

Crime the only crime we have come across is petty street stuff pickpockets etc. same as anywhere, fraud as mentioned regarding property….. there isn't much to do here apart from beaches, diving and sun lounging, we aren't into night life so can't comment but  there are a you might already know several clubs here

Noise is apartments is a problem,, we have moved out of one block because there were two incessantly yapping Alsatians on the balcony 10 feet from our window, people come and go all night, and will shout scream, slam doors, etc at all hours of the night, the buildings have no soundproofing at all, in fact they seen to be constructed as soundboards, echoing sounds up the stairwells. 

That all said we love it, just hope you have your eyes open and haven't been talked in to this by a local property agent….. it's all right if you have savvy friends who are Egyptian, and you know well…

Good luck….

Peter

Hi Petergypt.  The decision i have recently come to regarding property ( Buying ) is to rent first and go from there.

I have for 2 years  done my homework into every aspect of living in Hurghada.  Although i have visited regularly over the 2 years, for perhaps 1-2 weeks at a time.. it is obviously going to be different living permanently. " Challenging ) hahaha!  I'm looking forward to it.. I need a focus in life since the children flew the nest.

Of course any advice is well received, no-one is better placed to offer help and advice than an expat!

Best wishes
Sandra

hi there,
just let me help you for your request,tell me more details for your vision about it maybe i can handle

Hi all.

My reply was in respose  to  littleenglishmiss

What to look out for etc

so not necessarily relevant to others

Just be careful who you get involved with..... much is posted here... there are many sharks....... all of whom as as been said above will be your bossum buddie etc.  but will take you to the cleaners and back again....... I know people you can trust but then why would you trust me???

its a minefield

I agree... do not trust anyone. It is even hard to find a lawyer here that you can trust.

But having said that there are some amazing people here... it just takes a while to find them

yes, that of course is the problem, you can' tell the good ones from the bad ones, the guy we met in a bar and who found us our first apartment (full story on my blog at hello-hurghada.blogspot.com ) is now a friend and a champion chap….. on the other hand another man in a bar started talking to us… he was, he said a chef, worked in England, seemed to know what he was talking about.. told us British Airways had lost his luggage, a very believable scenario, that he had just come back from the UK and had bought lots and lots of prescription drugs back for his ailing mother. He seemed like a nice guy, he gave us a lift, to as it happens, the passport office; we were waiting for our visa extensions. Oddly for someone who professed to be a local in the know he had to ask directions. We swopped phone numbers so we could meet for coffee, so we thought, a few days later, he rang us that  night, three times,  I had left the phone in the flat, the next day twice, we ignored it.  Our guess, we would be asked to pick up his case from the airport……. Whatever he wanted it wasn't just a friendly chin wag and a cappuccino……..

Truly shocking.  I am well prepared. My egyptian son-in-law has told me about most of the things to be aware of.

He said at times he feels very ashamed to admit that people in his country could behave in that way.

If you need any help or advice on moving don't hesitate to ask

Hi Fawny,

Wow, thanks for your opinion.

Personally ive travelled the world and I don't think there is a scam I have not seen hun. When I was there last I went out on a date with a very handsome Egyptian guy. The next time I saw him he asked for £7K to help pay for his mums hospital bill!! he was told very politely to do one! I know what the men are like seen it all before.

I have stayed in contact with a guy I met there only as friends he is proving to be a good friend now but he did try it on at first, He now seems to respect me for being smart.

I am happy with my property purchase I have a very good UK based property agent and the only UK embassy registered Egyptian Lawyer looking after me and they are superb so far! The developers are in contact also with me and I am reassured.

I would really like to stay in touch as your experience will give me an even deeper insight to life there.

I am coming out early October with my teenage son so maybe we could do dinner and drinks! :-)

Thanks brother A, I have fallen for Egypt for sure and you are right good and bad every where. The laws are very strict in the areas I want them to be so the black market and corruption stuff can float over my head.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for replying. Yeah I pretty much worked a lot out about the people when I was there. I have fallen for the place and it where I wanna be eventually therefore I am sowing the seeds now!

I will be out every three months or so and all summer so I can really get to grips with the place before I make the final move. I also wanna find where I wanna live. This apartment I have bought is for rental income only really and somewhere to stay when I am out there - until I decide on where to settle.

Yeah I agree it can be hard to sift out the good from the bad. Most of the Men come from Cairo/Alex and have wives and families they support there. They send most of their money back to them and western women are easy targets for quickies and if they are naïve and gullible and fall for them, they can get extras and scam money etc. Still there are some good guys too.

Good on you guys for making the move!

Hiya tigerlilly,

Yep I agree, I have found a good Lawyer very open and transparent. It helps that I am legally qualified here as well so I have a good grasp on legal issues although Egypt is based on French/Islamic law I still understand it.

Yeah there are some amazing people for sure!!! ;-)

Thanks love! I will ask as and when. You living out there?

Hi Sandra,

We meet again! :cool:

Hi littleenglishmiss.. Yes, here we are again.

Hi Mee,

Magawish is my place, its not where I want to live but for initial holidays checking everywhere out and rental income when I live there.

I wanna live with the Egyptians and integrate properly so I will take my time working out where I will settle. I don't want to be near the centre, I prefer quiet but near enough to indulge when I want to. At the end of the day when you live there its not a holiday, I will be working full time and doing the same as here in the UK so I do like to be tucked away to kick back and relax! im not too bothered about a sea front place as long as I can walk to the beach when I want to. I am more concerned with getting a good neighbourhood with good people.

So where have you bought? Its exciting! :P

Hi Littlemiss,
                   Yes,   I have been living in Hurghada for over 7 years now.

I am in the UK at present completing the purchase of an apartment on the Isle of Bute, Scotland but return to Hurghada mid October.

Tim

Yeah, regardless of the revolt She is changing Egypt! I do believe things will change for the people but it will take time and I wanna see and be part of it!

Hi Tim,

So you will know the place quite well then, what do you think to life there?

You a scotch guy then? That's different Isle of Bute, never heard of it!

Shame you back mid-October I am there from 11th to 20th we could have met up for a chat

I bought an apartment in the town centre above costa coffee on the main Sheraton Road. It can  be a little noisy but I love being able to walk to most things.

Haha,

When you going over? I hope the house sale is going well for you hun.

I am struggling with the thought of not taking my Pug when I am ready for the move. I will have to find a way, I could not bear life without her. :)

Hi, I will be back on the 13th October. I love the life there, waking up to blue skies and  sunshine 99% of the time. No problem to meet for a chat while you are there if you wish.

Tim

Yeah it does have its benefits being centralised. I just wanna settled somewhere quiet and tucked away when I am living there but still close enough to indulge as and when I desire! lol:P

Hi, You can take your pug no problem. I brought over 3 cats when I moved here.  You just have to fly egypt air from heathrow is all.

There a plenty of places to buy, you won't have any problem finding somewhere at all.

Excellent!! yep yep for sure! It will be really good to hear all about the reality of life there from someone who knows

I look forward to it. Always happy to give advice to expats and help them with their move. I will send you my contact details in a message.  Take it easy and speak soon.

Tim

Bless you! I adore cats too! I have a passport for her as I took her round Europe with me last year.

Funnily enough I am gonna fly over from London next April, my friend is running the London marathon so I am gonna go down to London with her and others for the race and fly over to Hurgahda straight afterwards.

I know there apartments you can buy that take pets and there are dog breeders in Hurghada as they are selling them on egypt.dubizzle.com/en

What cats have you?