Bring a car to belize

has anyone brought a car or truck to belize from the us.

I am moving to Belize (same area) under the Qualified Retirement Program. The program costs $1250.00 but it is worth it....it will be extra for your wife. 
Duty is the #1 source of revenue for Belize.  I spoke to a customs broker from Big Creek (closer than Belize City).  He informed me the duty on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler would be....ARE YOU  READY??.....79% of the value of the vehicle. 
You have one year from the time you join the QRP program to bring your belongings into the country Duty Free.

I am curious as to when you were approved for the QRP. I thought cars had to be 3 years old or newer.

The 3 yr rule changed recently.  I contacted The Belize Tourism Board myself & verified the change.  I was advised the vehicle has to be in good condition.  My vehicle is in excellent condition..however, I asked if I could send photos of my Jeep to the BTB for pre-approval along with my application. They liked that idea.  Make sure you have a customs broker as well.

Did you have the vehicle shipped?
What is the Approx cost for this?
Do you know if anyone has driven from the US to Belize?

Yeah.... several. Check Hyde shipping in Medley Florida.

People drive from the US often but Mexico is getting more dangerous which increases the risk. Shipping through Hyde is about 700US depending on the size of your vehicle.

Thank you!

Since you are in Texas you can check the port at Houston, I believe Sea Board does shipping to Belize from there.

Good call.
How long you been in Belmopan?

I'm originally from Belize City but have lived in Independence and San Ignacio.  Been working in Belmopan for 7 years and live here for the past 4 1/2 years.

Well thank you for your input to questions people like myself have. We are sooo looking forward to visiting Belize. We are not much for the Tourist places, but want to spend our time on the vacant beaches and visiting the mayan history,  etc.

You are welcome! Hope you and your family enjoy your stay.

What's the blue book value of that 2009? That's what they base the value on. I'd triple check that duty rate. There is a government list of the duty charges for any vehicles brought into the country and I think 79% for yours is wrong.

Terrymcq wrote:

What's the blue book value of that 2009? That's what they base the value on. I'd triple check that duty rate. There is a government list of the duty charges for any vehicles brought into the country and I think 79% for yours is wrong.

You are replying to an old dead thread from 2013.  ;)   Lots of good info in old threads, but often the folks have moved on. If that Jeep had a V8 that rate sounds correct as V8 SUVs have the highest rate

There are recent threads that have links to the the duty rates. I have not imported a vehicle but there are recent threads here that suggest they do NOT use any american rate book, rather they have other guidelines to set value.

I was reading a comment a while back where the lady lived in Placencia (I think)
Her husband owned a used car dealership and shipped fro Florida regularly. If I'm not mistaken, they shipped their vehicles to Placencia instead of Belize City? Does that sound right. I remember her saying it was a lot simpler getting things done and that they would load the vehicle down with other goods and customs was a lot easier to deal with. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

There are only two Ports in Belize, Belize City, and Big Creek. Big Creek Port is directly across the lagoon from Placencia.  So yes it is possible to ship to that area.

I recall hearing that there not as many ships that go from the USA to Big Creek, so that might be a factor. Miami and Houston are the main US ports shipping to Belize.

You need to check with shipping brokers to handle it rather than trying to handle all the details yourself.

MCW shipping out of Mobile,AL ships to Big Creek in Belize. They don't ship until they have enough to make it worthwhile, so not usually weekly, but you would have to call them to get times/dates. Woodson also ships to Belize, but not sure about Big Creek.
Hope that helps.

Thanks to all of you had input recently on my question about shipping to Big Creek. Has anyone had experience lately as far as dealing with customs there? I definstely.plan on getting a broker. Any suggestions on that subject?
Thanks again,
Jerry