Moving to Malta

Hi everybody !

could you please give me an idea how is  life in beautiful Malta ?

I am a disappointed,greek , young lady who is searching for a
" healthy " place to move , in order to make a new start . I am qualified and experienced in Tourism industry and I am thinking to move in Malta , but I don't have a lot of information about the place and life , just some google info

I wish you all the best :)

Hi,

i am not sure if "healthy" qualifies for Malta or of any other country in Europe anymore.

However, since you are Greek do not expect any big differences with Greece. You will find many similarities with Greece.

As for the job market it depends. If you expect in getting a job in the Tourism Industry you should know that there is high competition, meaning that many, many people trying to get in the tourism sector. During the summer, i assume is easier to find something and probably you will but during the winter the things will get tough.

Concerning wages...i would say close to the Greek standards before the crisis...600-750 euros???

hello my Greek friend

thanks a lot for your response . yes you are right , everywhere is a mess...but probably better than here ?? regarding the salaries ,I have trawled a little bit in google for Malta's working conditions and salaries and , formal statistics speak about 1000-1600 monthly .Of course that seems gorgeous and too much ...

however , you should be absolutely right regarding the competition , especially if you do not speak the local  language ??

thanks a lot for your help and interest

hi,

as you may already know one of Malta's big industries is Online Gamblins and shipping. Those sectors who are mainly international companies based in Malta recruit often foreigners and high skilled employees and offer high salaries which pushes the average monthly salaries to the amount you mentioned above (1.200-1600).

On the other hand there are the low-skilled jobs, hand-work, etc and Maltese companies who pay much less.

Just keep in mind that just because you will go abroad that does not automatically means that it will better off.

I have met many people, Greeks and others who left their home countries believing that just because they went to a country with a better economy it will be easier and better. Not always the case!

In any case, if you decide to move to Malta you can always contact me.

A mess my $(#. We are living in the year 2013 people not 1942. My advice, don't come to Malta. I've got a degree and not a single person that appreciates an educated someone. Too little jobs and whatever jobs there are is looking like 500 baby fishes on a piece of bread in the sea. The work for money system is over and it is more and more coming to an end as technology is taking over the work of labour. Not the case for Malta though, I won't even comment on this place.. trust me, just go somewhere else, crowded enough at it is.

markusday wrote:

A mess my $(#. We are living in the year 2013 people not 1942. My advice, don't come to Malta. I've got a degree and not a single person that appreciates an educated someone. Too little jobs and whatever jobs there are is looking like 500 baby fishes on a piece of bread in the sea. The work for money system is over and it is more and more coming to an end as technology is taking over the work of labour. Not the case for Malta though, I won't even comment on this place.. trust me, just go somewhere else, crowded enough at it is.

:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

markusday, if you detest Malta so much, why not go home?
Serious question as what you write recently is either a moan or a whinge.
Has the 'magic' worn off?

So you have a degree - that makes you more educated / intelligent than the next man does it!!!! now i see the problem....

your best bet is to go somewhere else

toonarmy9752 wrote:

So you have a degree - that makes you more educated / intelligent than the next man does it!!!! now i see the problem....
your best bet is to go somewhere else

I didn't notice that arrogance.
Will I fit in with my 3 degrees?
When will I see you again?

Shame your dreams were so cruelly punctured and you became so tyred of Malta.
(https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 75#1162979)

:)

i had three degrees once - then atomic kitten came out and that was it never looked back.

Hi linagreek. As you are 'qualified and experienced in Tourism industry' could you not get info from those sources? Have you visited? Otherwise there is a lot of info on the blog try reading through: 

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-1-every … malta.htmlhttps://www.expat.com/forum/341-2-forma … malta.htmlhttps://www.expat.com/forum/341-5-work-in-malta.html

and

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-22-cost … malta.html

for starters to gain some insight.

Don't take notice of some who have moved here, with little or no preparation and who have unrealistic expectations.
Malta and Gozo are not playgrounds for anyone looking for a 'party-time' but places for hard-working, down to earth people who tolerate and learn from a different way of life and cultures.

although party time can be had!!!!if thats the goal. but dont expect the same as some "party" islands...

toonarmy9752 wrote:

although party time can be had!!!!if thats the goal. but dont expect the same as some "party" islands...

For sure and we know the Maltese love to party!
What I meant was don't expect everyday to be a party day, an easy ride, a 'cushy' number.

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

For sure and we know the Maltese love to party!
What I meant was don't expect everyday to be a party day, an easy ride, a 'cushy' number.

aha gotcha

Good morning to everybody

Dear Marcusday , thanks a lot for your information , you are clear and specific and for one more time , we confirm the general mess with job research and that diplomas and degrees do not count so much anymore.Nowadays , almost all young people are qualified and experienced and try to find whatever .. in order to have the basic income ..

I have  been working as an operation manager for a travel agancy here in Greece for 9 years , but I don't work for the last 3 years and no hope is shown .My husband is a well qualified electrician and if we move to a place , we both have to get a job  , as we also have a 2 years old son , so situation is not so easy.But I am thinking ... how worst situation could be than in Greece , as unemployment reaches the 26 % ???

Also , if we finnaly move , how would be the educational system for my son , when he has to start school ? we are Greeks , I assume that not any class school is available in Malta

From the other hand , what attracted us regarding Malta , was the warm attitude of people there , at least , that was what we've heared .we need a place where we can have a good life for our family

thanks a lot for all your efforts

Hi Redmik ,

I am sending you my greetings

thanks a lot for the sources given , of course I will search them thourouhly .Do you also have something regarding electricians ?

How do they work ? as assistants in companies , or also privately ? My husband here works by his own , is there any chance like this in Malta ? do you have future like this ?

now regarding the party " thing " , we also like parties ! we are still young and " naughty " :-) 

as you have a good aspect of things there , how do local people treat expats ? I suppose friendly and warm , but you should know better , that's why I am asking  you more :-)

many thanks for your support

Toonarmy , good morning

thanks a lot for your comments :-)

wish you all the best

redmik wrote:

I speak in general format about the the reality of situations today. What you want sources too?? I'm not from anywhere so I don't have a country to call my home. Your assumption that I detest Malta is not amusing in the slightest. Get yourself another coffee, put on some new age music and be informed.

your welcome Lina

markusday wrote:
redmik wrote:

I speak in general format about the the reality of situations today. What you want sources too?? I'm not from anywhere so I don't have a country to call my home. Your assumption that I detest Malta is not amusing in the slightest. Get yourself another coffee, put on some new age music and be informed.

:lol::lol::lol:  Charming, coming from someone I helped find a laundrette. I suggest you do the same as you advise me to.

guys , you are all such nice people !

don't " fight " ...in case we finally come to Malta , we wish to meet you all !!!

:-)  how the educational system could work in Malta , for a kid that will go to school for first time , especially if he is greek ?

linagreek wrote:

guys , you are all such nice people !
don't " fight " ...in case we finally come to Malta , we wish to meet you all !!! :-)

Hi, rest assured we are not 'fighting' in English we call it 'banter'

hey Redmik

that is correct !! so keep on bantering ! its ok , no worries

your help is much appreciated

Καλημερα Λίνα
Λοιπόν πάρε και μια άποψη από έναν Έλληνα που έχει 3 εβδομάδες στο νησί.
Είναι πολύ μικρό νησί, 30χιλ από άκρη σε άκρη και θες τουλάχιστον 1 ώρα για να κάνεις αυτή την απόσταση. Η κίνηση είναι απλά τραγική, πολύ χειρότερη από της Αθήνας. Οι δρόμοι δεν υπάρχουν! Η λακούβα που δεν έχεις ξαναδεί!.2χιλ μπορεί να τα κάνεις σε 20 λεπτά. Από οδήγηση δράμα επίσης, κάτι μεταξύ Σικελίας και Αιγύπτου! Από μόλυνση στα υψηλότερα ποσοστά. Από γραφειοκρατία το κάτι άλλο, για να ανοίξεις πχ εναν λογαριασμό για να πληρώνεσαι όχι κάρτες κλπ θες τουλάχιστον 3 βδομάδες ταλαιπωρίας. Το ρεύμα είναι πανάκριβο. Έχει τρελή υγρασία και κουνούπια. Σε επίπεδο ζωής και δουλείας, θα πρέπει να βγάλεις αριθμό μητρώου ΙΚΑ, να βγάλεις τοπική ταυτότητα γιατί έχει άλλες τιμές πχ στα εισητήρια, στο ρεύμα κλπ αν έχεις τοπική ταυτότητα με το να είσαι απλά ευρωπαίος ΟΜΩΣ η κυβέρνηση δεν βγάζει νέες κάρτες...
Πάμε τώρα και στα θετικά.
Γενικά είναι πιο εύκολα να βρεις δουλεία. Είναι φιλικοί άνθρωποι, είναι γενικά ασφαλής προορισμός για οικογένεια κλπ. Πολλές υπηρεσίες δουλεύουν και Σάββατα. Είναι σχετικά γραφική και όμορφη χώρα. Από τιμές κλπ υπάρχουν τεράστιες διαφορές, σε ορισμένα πράγματα είναι ΠΟΛΥ πιο φθηνοί, σε άλλα πάλι ΠΟΛΥ πιο ακριβοί. Γενικά η ζωή εδώ είναι ρουτίνα και 7 το απόγευμα δεν κινείται φύλλο, εκτός βέβαια από το κέντρο πχ Σλιεμα, Σαιντ Τζουλιενς, Βαλέτα

Συμπέρασμα. Κάθε τόπος έχει τα καλά του και τα κακά του. Μακάρι εμείς σαν Έλληνες να βλέπαμε τα καλά μας και να διορθώναμε τα στραβά μας και θα είμασταν Παράδεισος.

Αυτά απο μένα και μη διστάσεις να ρωτήσεις επιπλέον πληροφορίες.
Φιλικά

Hi paako,

please post in English on this forum.

Cheers
Ricky

Ok
Google translate below: :-)

Good morning Lina
Well take a view of one Greek who has 3 weeks to the island.
It's very small island, 30km from end to end and want at least 1 hour to do the distance. The traffic is just terrible, much worse than in Athens. The roads do not exist! The puddle you have not seen before! .2 Mm can you do in 20 minutes. From driving drama also something between Sicily and Egypt! From the highest polution rates. Bureaucracy of something else, for example to open an account to get paid cards etc not want at least 3 weeks of discomfort. The power is very expensive. Has crazy humidity and mosquitoes. In terms of life and work, you need to draw Social Security identification number, take local identity because it has other values ​​eg in tickets, etc if the stream has a local identity with simply being European BUT the government does not make new cards ...
Come now and the positive.
Generally it is easier to find work. People are friendly, it is generally safe destination for family etc. Many services also work Saturdays. It is relatively scenic and beautiful country. Since prices etc are huge differences, some things are much cheaper in other much more expensive again. Generally, the life here is routine and 7 pm is not moving sheet, unless of course the center eg Sliema, St Julien, Valletta

Conclusion. Every place has its good and bad of. I wish we as Greeks saw our good and correct our wrong and we would be Paradise.

Thats from me and do not hesitate to ask additional information.
Amicably

Well, I guess we each have our own perspectives.
I agree about the driving.Bureaucracy can be tedious, a bit like UK 50 years or more ago. Agree with all the good points and just accept what some see as bad points.
I like the conclusion, if we could but see ourselves as others see us; applies to a lot in life really.
I do feel that it takes longer than 3 weeks to get to know a new place but then first impressions make the most impact and last the longest.

Hi paako,

thanks! Your own English in your previous posts is much,much better than Google translate -)))

I would be cautious with the statement that it is generally easier to find work. It usually depends on the qualifications and kind of work and even then the pay can be very low.

Your conclusion is great and probably applies to every country in the EU!

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,
Why you don't try in US?