Should I give up before I've started

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum and I'm so glad to have found a place with so many people ready and willing to help with just about anything :D

I've been thinking seriously of applying for teaching (English) jobs in KSA and was motivated by a friend who made it seem like the easiest thing in the world. Given my individual circumstances and having done some research online, I now wonder if that's the case.

I have a degree (not in English), a CELTA and a PGCE along with 4 years teaching experience in the UK. This all seems fine when I look at the vacancy requirements but I'm a married woman with 4 children and not many of the ads make mention of family contracts.

I just wanted to find out how likely it would be for a woman to sponsor a family (and a large one at that!) in KSA and whether recruiters might be put off by this in the first place.

I'm not normally defeatist but this time I'm wondering whether to give up before I've even started :(

never know till you try

'Single' contract, it means just that--they won't sponsor your family.

I know that in the beginning, a few years back, recruiters for PNU used to promise teachers they could bring their families over and many women came here to teach based on that promise, but it never materialized so many of them left.

I don't know if this is still the case (promising that families can come) or not, but do be extremely careful.  Recruiters can say anything they want to get you here (for this they get a fee), even if you don't stay (but in the meanwhile, your life has been turned upside-down).

First, are you only looking at KSA?

Alternatively, this was pointed out yesterday:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/educ … s.20014690

UAE jobs requiring PGCE.

or something someone was sending around (only mentions spouse and 2 kids):

SECONDARY ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHERS - BRUNEI:
Nationwide
Salary - From £22,000 to £44,000 per year
Apply now
Job description:
** Postions start March 2013 (Contract till December 2014)
** Cheap cost of living. Tropical climate all year round
**New positions just made available
**Attractive packages for teaching families
Academics provide western trained secondary teachers the opportunity to work on this exciting English language project in Brunei.
The twin aims are to raise the general standard of English in the schools, as well as improving the performance of the students in the national and international examinations. This is in line with Brunei?s bilingual education policy. You will teach years 7 to 11 following the Cambridge English Language curriculum. One can expect a working week to include up to 30 contact hours. Students will conduct normal lessons but come to English language classes run specifically by western trained applicants. Over 180 secondary teachers work on this Ministry of Education project.
Criteria
* Hold a western teaching qualification (M.Ed, B.Ed or BA+ PGCE/Dip Teaching
* Western passport holder from the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada or Ireland
* Hold three years full time teaching experience. Includes full time in the last 12 months before applying.
* Candidates holding a ESL qualification or with experience teaching/developing curriculum and assessing ESL children are preferred
* Under the age of 55 years prior to starting the contract
* In a position to start a contract from March 2013 to December 2014
Package
* Tax free salary between £22K to £44K ($33K-$60KAUD) per annum (depending on experience/qualifications)
* Furnished accommodation and or accommodation allowance
* Allowances for accompanying spouse and up to two children until they start primary school*
* Private health care
* Heavily subsidised private education for up to two children (three children for a teaching couple)
* Interest free car loan
* Return flight and baggage allowance (also for a married spouse and 2 children for those travelling with family members)
* $500BN - $1500BN settling in allowance
* In country orientation (includes Malay language training and Cambridge ICELT course)
* Professional administrative, housing and welfare support
* Work visa
To submit your CV for consideration of a place on the Secondary project in Brunei then please email Michael Smith on the above address. Alternatively call Michael in our Australian office on + [contact details removed] for a confidential discussion on the role in question.
Adfinder code: Ref 30787933 Job Ref: 787605

Hello :) Welcome to Expat.com!

I know a colleague who brought her 4 or 5 kids with her no problem,  I'll ask her for you today and let you know what her experience with it was...meanwhile do some research about the country,  the schools you might need for your kids, stuff like that.

Also, dont rush. This is a hard decision to make so take your time..and know that we are here to support you :)

meem0 wrote:

Hello :) Welcome to Expat.com!

I know a colleague who brought her 4 or 5 kids with her no problem,  I'll ask her for you today and let you know what her experience with it was...meanwhile do some research about the country,  the schools you might need for your kids, stuff like that.

Also, dont rush. This is a hard decision to make so take your time..and know that we are here to support you :)

Wow, and she's an ESL instructor at PNU??  I am stunned--but pleasantly so.  Things apparently have improved!

I do believe I've seen some ads on Dave's ESL Café mentioning that they would sponsor families, but it's been a long time since I've actually looked at the job ads.  As Allie mentioned, it's one of those things you have to be cautious about.  If you find someone willing to sponsor your family then I would make sure to keep on them about it and get it in the contract to ensure they keep promises.

And welcome :)

day_dreamer wrote:

I've been thinking seriously of applying for teaching (English) jobs in KSA and was motivated by a friend who made it seem like the easiest thing in the world. Given my individual circumstances and having done some research online, I now wonder if that's the case.

I have a degree (not in English), a CELTA and a PGCE along with 4 years teaching experience in the UK. This all seems fine when I look at the vacancy requirements but I'm a married woman with 4 children and not many of the ads make mention of family contracts.

I just wanted to find out how likely it would be for a woman to sponsor a family (and a large one at that!) in KSA and whether recruiters might be put off by this in the first place.

I'm not normally defeatist but this time I'm wondering whether to give up before I've even started :(

One of my colleagues sponsored her husband (he works online), but it's just the two of them---her children are adults and reside in the UK. However, most of the women I work with are here on their spouse's iqama and are considered local hires.  (For the employer, this is less costly than bringing an entire family from abroad.)  As such, these locally-hired teachers are not the primary breadwinner in the family, yet these are two-salary households that share all the expenses. 

It would probably be doable if you were a Phd holder with years of experience, but...  Anyway, Beakersful's suggestion of teaching in the UAE seems like a more realistic choice for you and your family.

smurfette wrote:

It would probably be doable if you were a Phd holder with years of experience, but...

I agree--that's been my experience.

As for ESL teachers (of whom there are thousands these days), it's just too costly to pay plane fare, provide housing, schooling stipends, etc., etc.

BUT ... what the hell?  Why not apply (costs no more than the click of a mouse) and see what happens?

Day_Dreamer welcome to the blog.... My brother in law is teaching in Manarat ul Riyadh School & he was given family visas so he can shift his wife & sons from Pakistan. If you want I can discuss the matter & ask him if there are any jobs in his school in ur preferred subject...

A million and one thanks to everyone for your warm welcome and helpful comments.

I guess it's true you never know until you try but I want to make an informed decision and make sure that I don't rush into anything if I'm going to uproot my family.

The only reason I was looking at KSA was because it seems that most of the job offerings seem to be coming from there (may be I'm looking in the wrong places). I figured I would have more chance getting a job in KSA than UAE. Having said that, I gather from Alliecat's comment that there are lots of teachers available to take up these jobs in KSA so they're highly unlikely to take on a family contract if they can easily get a single :(

I teach in London at the moment and my job is fairly secure but it's a struggle to get a decent work life balance (the difference in hours I put in and what I actually get paid for is ridiculous!)and we find it very hard to save any money so KSA looks quite appealing.

Thanks for all the advice guys :D I might just bite the bullet and try but do so with caution and knowing that all that glitters is not gold :cool:

@day_dreamer  But if you're a certified teacher, you're in a different category!  You don't have to do the university ESL thing.

There are lots of opportunities for primary and secondary school teachers in the ME(I don't know about them sponsoring your family but I do think you're treated far better than a PYP English instructor).  In fact, I met a woman recently who is teaching in Shanghai but is negotiating for a new teaching position in Kuwait.  Same good money and stability as KSA but with many far social restrictions.

You might want to check out Sabis, for a start (not a recommendation, per se, but they have a strong internet presence).

Good luck!

There's Teachaway, which primarily hires licensed/certified teachers.  They're one of the better recruiting agencies for the Mid East region.

By the way, assuming your husband would be going with you, does he have some sort of job where he'd be able to keep working, or is he expecting to find work as well?

@day_dreamer I had a word with my brother in law & he informed me that in case of foreign female teachers, they are not issueing visas so there family can come along & stay in country & day by day things are getting difficult for expats here due to government new rules to employee saudis in majority & tightening of rules for expats. There was a time when UAE & KSA was known for jobs in Banking sector & u could find alot of foreigners working in Saudi Banks, but now expats are being fired & its been more than a month that I have come here & hunting job in Banking sector as I hold 7 Years of Banking experience from Pakistan.

Why don't you try to explore Canada or any other European countries like France. Where you can make a much better living than what u r having now.

So I spoke to that colleague.

She said that you just have to give them the names of your children (on your application) and their passport numbers, and they will take care of the rest of it for you. She said theres no major hassle for married women.

but I guess you'll never know till ya give it a go!

Thanks guys!

@Mohsin82 I've heard about there being more of a drive to encourage Saudi nationals to work. I hope your luck changes soon :)

meem0 thanks for the info, it's very encouraging.

I currently teach ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and have QTLS status (qualified teacher learning and skills). I work in a post secondary environment (16+) and just figured I wouldn't be able to teach in secondary schools in the middle east. After some research though, I realised that the secondary system in the middle east goes all the way up to 18 so there's no reason why I couldn't apply since I already teach 16-19 year olds. Thanks guys, you've opened up my eyes to a whole world of other opportunities, and by the sounds of it these would be better than working in ESL.

Thanks for directing me to Teachaway smurfette, they have some great opportunities. My husband would most likely be wanting to find work as well, but I've read that this can be difficult in most Mid East countries if you're on a sponsorship visa(?). He'd be quite happy to study online if he couldn't work but I don't know how the Mid East would be about 'house husbands', even if they were studying :lol: