Becoming tax residents of malta

Good day, I am a Canadian currently living in France with my French wife and we are thinking of emigrating...have been considering England, Canada, Switzerland...but just heard about Malta.. Would like to talk with someone who is expert in aiding individuals such as ourselves to make that move, and learn what is entailed.
Thanks  Barry Lando

Welcome to Expat.com Barry Lando!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Hi Barry,

welcome to the forum.

Take some time to read previous posts on living in malta and so on. In the end it is really quite simple -))) You apply for residency,get a tax number and sort out health insurance issues.

What makes Malta seem attractive to you ? Will you be working?

Feel free to ask any questions that remain or are not clear.

Cheers
Ricky

you become tax residents by being here for more than 6 months in a calendar year

ps you can be tax resident without applying for residency as tax residency and residency are different things, although the two in most cases go hand in hand.

hi All,

I think that by 'tax residency' in this case we understand the situation when the person pays this 15% flat rate and to be on this low rate there's a number of conditions one needs to satisfy.

Otherwise, if you come here to Malta and get a job (you can do that since you're from EU) you'll be paying taxes and other contributions so in that sense you'll be a tax resident anyway, but the tax rates will be the same as most of us is paying.

Google it, there's a lot of info on internet.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info..to be a tax resident are you required to spend 6 months in Malta?  Is your presence actually checked? Thanks Barry

Yes
No, unless audited

Bear in mind can be tax resident in more than one country

hi,

I doubt they check if you're present in Malta, of course it would be impossible to keep track of all the people.

As one of the conditions to be on the 15% tax flat rate is to have the apartment in Malta or to rent it in Malta so if one rents or buys the apartment, then they're sort of expected to live in Malta (of course if you rent you must have a proof like the agreement or electricity bills that you paid etc.)

When buying or renting the apartment, to qualify for this tax residency scheme there's some price requirements as well - i.e. the cost of rent must not be lower than X or property value that you'd buy must not be lower than Y - not sure about the exact figures in this case.

I suggest you speak with some lawyers and they'll explain you everything, however they charge a lot. Once I had to sort some basic question and it was 200 EUR for a 1 hr consultation.

Well, good luck. Hope I helped a bit.

The 15% flat tax rate has some very financially burdensome restrictions, which makes it of interest to practically no EU citizen. The scheme is called High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI)

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/busines … s-20120229

"Under the new rules, applicants must purchase a property of over €400,000, or rent at €20,000 per annum....

Applicants will also go through a 'fit and proper test' by a foreign investigation company, to keep out "undesirable individuals".

Successful applicants benefit from a 15% tax that allows the possibility to claim double tax relief, with a minimum tax cap of €20,000. The scheme will also apply an additional minimum tax of €2,500 per dependent of the applicant."

Hi all, can you help me with this question;

I am currently living in Malta and working full-time in a company registered to Malta. I'm planning on moving to another EU-country and will continue on working in that Maltese company from abroad (it's via internet, I do not have to be present at the office in Malta). My question is, can I still pay my taxes to Malta?
I will not stay on the island and don't own any property here (also going to end my long let agreement). I am not talking about the High net thing here, just regular tax rates. The reason I would like to pay my taxes to Malta is simply the lower rates than the country I'm planning moving to.
I am not Maltese but I have an ID card, sosial security number etc. Anyway I am a citizen of another EU- country.

In general, you will be liable to taxation in the country you live and work in - you need to check the law in your new country of residence

agree with GnG - you must pay taxes in the country you physically work in.

Is it 6 or 3 months / calender year that I must stay at Malta to be able to pay the taxes here? Assuming that my new home country has this double taxation agreement -thing?
Someone asked earlier, do they check if I actually stay here long enough or not...?

6 months to pay tax in Malta. However, you could also be tax resident in another country as well...

you are confusing two things - Malta will be delighted if you pay tax. That doesn't stop your other country also demanding tax as well. The double taxation treat doesn't mean you only pay tax in one country, but that you can offset one against the other.