Citizenship and Expat Affairs- New Opening Hours

Hi all,

the DCEA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) announced in todays Sunday Times - Classifieds that they are changing their opening hours for the public:

From Monday 20 th August 2012 - Friday 28 th September 2012 the Department is open on Monday,Wednesday and Friday only from 8.15 am until noon.

As from 1 st October the times will be back to the current opening hours.

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky, do you know the DCEA's hours now?  Thanks!

yes same question  i need the opening hours and the address please

Hi Designs,

here is the address:

Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs
Department,
3 Castille Place,
Valletta VLT 2000.
Tel: 21 250 569 / 2200 1800
Fax: 21 237 513 / 2200 1830
E-mail: [email protected]

The building is near the Upper Barrakka Gardens.

The opening hours should be 8.15 - 12.00 , Mondays-Fridays

Cheers
Ricky

thank you Ricky,

we went there and when we asked for the temporary residence they send us to another place which we could't find it! it's in Floriana do you know the place?
other thing,,,, is there another id card we can apply from DCEA?

Hi Designs,

you cannot apply for an ID card as a third country national until you have residency. The ID card office is somewhere else.

The only place I know in Floriana is the police depot. So I'm not sure about where they sent you? Maybe to the police there for a cerificate of conduct ?

Did you have all your documents ? Health insurance , income statements, cover letter and so on ?

Cheers
Ricky

no we just want information how to apply so we said we have an apartment in Malta they say we can't apply for an house but for income we can and they send us the place i told you loooool
health insurance i have one until June 2013 is this is ok or i should issue another one?

Hi Designs,

with the minimal info you have given on your situation it is very difficult to comment on the process.

Maybe ? you are talking about the AIP (Aquisation of Immovable Property) permit as you are not EU citizens. This is for a second home - not as primary residence. For this permit you have to go to the Tax Office in Floriana to apply. It will take up to 8 weeks.

If you are talking about a primary home in Malta it will be much more difficult.

Health insurance has to be one that offers the same conditions as the Maltese National insurance. A travel insurance would not be enough.

Applying for temporary residency has nothing to do with buying a property and buying one in Malta will not give you any rights to stay.

Cheers
Ricky

i think the employee there though that we're going to apply for the permanent residence !

any way... can you please advice me where to go to apply for temporary residence for non-EU person in Malta for personal income

Hi Designs,

you can't apply for permanent residency until you have been an ordinary resident for 5 years.

You can apply for temporary residence at the DCEA ( the same place you apply for ordinary residency). The request is decided on a case-by-case basis and is temporary.

I presume that your husband will have to apply or do you have your own income ?

Please check out the conditions before you go to apply and make sure you have all relevant documents with you.

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Citiz … -URP_1.pdf

Cheers
Ricky

thank you Ricky,, but i'm little bit confused
in another post i found out that i should apply for the id card first is this is the ordinary one your talking about?
i understood that i should apply for the id card and then i have to apply for the temporary one... can you help me to clarify this

Hi Designs,

most posters on the forum are EU citizens and they can just apply for an ID card and go the bank to open an account.

You are from Libya and as such a TCN (third-country national) for whom total different rules apply.

Without residency a TCN cannot go and apply for an ID card. You need the residence card in your passport first!

If you keep on going to the DCEA and keep changing the things you are asking about they will start wondering !

To gain ordinary residency in Malta you would need a work permit or a few other reason ( study, ...)

The other routes are either temporary residency as economic self-sufficient but this is difficult and as the name says temp.

Or you can apply under the HNWI scheme if you have around 500.000 € to spend in Malta on property and minimum taxes.

So please make sure that a post is correct for a TCN. Many respond not being aware that you are from Libya.

Cheers
Ricky