Accomodations on my first day and beyond: where to start?

Hi friends, do you have any recommendations on where to stay before securing housing? Secondly, what are the precise steps I should take to find housing and is the public transportation easy to navigate for a new expat?(I read the guide and perused the classifieds, but I am interested in some additional practical advice regarding Jeddah). Finally, how long can I expect it to take to move into my own place (I would like to find something between 35 to 45 thousand a year, and I am open to both compound and non-compound options). This is the only thing that I am nervous about before departing, and some reassuring information would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hello perused.

You can also post an advert in the Housing in Jeddah section. It might be useful. :)

Hope you'll get some advices from other members.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

msf43 wrote:

is the public transportation easy to navigate for a new expat?

:blink:

There is no such thing as public transportation in Riyadh.  Maybe Jeddah is different?

nope... no different ... public transport :D

westerner coming over to saudi with no compound included and thrown in on your own?

you got hosed

Actually, I messaged the school and they responded that I will be picked up at the airport, will have temporary accommodations paid for and they will assist me in finding housing (all included in the contract I just signed). As far as how much I want to spend, I was hoping to bank some instead of using it all, thus trying to find a place outside of a compound for cheaper. I've finally found some very good websites regarding housing. In addition, I prefer not to be on a compound as I am continuing to study Arabic (currently at the upper-intermediate level) and I wish to immerse myself in city live, which will not be a problem because I've lived in various Middle Eastern countries, particularly conservative parts. Of course, immersion can only be so deep, but it is of a higher concern to me than wasting my time in another country on an insular compound.

Thanks for the advice!

that sounds a bit better lol

Most welcome msf43 in Jeddah, unfortunately there is no reliable public transportation in Jeddah, you have to have own car or you can use Taxi ( but it will cost you more than the value of a car if you will go out many times per day). Regarding accommodation, of course you can hire apartment (not in compound) and of course it will be cheaper by far.

for any help or any questions you can contact me at:
[email protected]

msf43 wrote:

Actually, I messaged the school and they responded that I will be picked up at the airport, will have temporary accommodations paid for and they will assist me in finding housing (all included in the contract I just signed). As far as how much I want to spend, I was hoping to bank some instead of using it all, thus trying to find a place outside of a compound for cheaper. I've finally found some very good websites regarding housing. In addition, I prefer not to be on a compound as I am continuing to study Arabic (currently at the upper-intermediate level) and I wish to immerse myself in city live, which will not be a problem because I've lived in various Middle Eastern countries, particularly conservative parts. Of course, immersion can only be so deep, but it is of a higher concern to me than wasting my time in another country on an insular compound.

Thanks for the advice!

hi can you kindly share those websites for housing. I dont know where to start, I am sure my money wont be enough. I was told that after my arrival I will receive the housing allowance after few weeks. IT sucks. I will be in a hotel for 3 days and then I have to move in to an apartment. How will I pay if Im not given the money. I thinking of taking out a loan. Would you do the same thing? Anyways I would appreciate if you can share the web sites.