Thailand - confused about visas...surprise!

Hi

I will be visiting Thailand (as a tourist) very soon and will be staying there for 6 weeks. 

I recently went to my local Thai consulate in the UK and obtained a double entry visa (in the event I want to visit neighbouring countries and return to Thailand).  This visa lasts until the end of Dec.  So the visa for this trip is for 6 months (June to Dec 2012).

If this trip to Thailand works out and I decide to stay for longer, say for 1 year, what is the easiest way of doing this?  I will be a tourist for the full duration and have no intention of working whilst there.

Bearing in mind the local Thai consulate in the UK granted me a 6 month (tourist) visa, if I were to relocate some time in the future, can I simply ask them a 12 month (tourist) visa? 

There's no mention anywhere on FCO website or elsewhere about a 6 month tourist visa, yet that's what I got when I visited the Thai consulate.  Will they grant a 12 month one? 

The aim is to minimise any visa runs.

Thanks in advance to any replies to this query.

Hello ScottishSmiles.

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you will soon be adviced.

Aurélie

To my understanding, there are no 12 month tourist visas.  However, there are other alternatives, including 4 hours of study per week, etc.  Some of the expats who hang out at www.thaivisa.com are seriously competent in the visa area.  You may want to go there and post your detailed questions at their visa form.

You Tourist visa is valid for a period of 6 months which means both entries must be used before the "enter before date" that is on the visa.

On your first entry you will be given 60 days and you can usually extend that at immigration for another 30 days if done before the 60 days end.  After that you will have to leave the country and return before the "enter before date" that is on visa issued by Thai consulate in UK to make use of your second entry.

You can get another six months transit visa at the Thai embassy in Laos or Malasia. If you think your extended six months might in fact, turn into a year, then just get the educational visa. It's like $700 and you don't ever have to show up for your Thai language classes so don't worry about it.

the best way is to apply for a student visa. many thai language schools can do this, with a cost of about 20.000 thb. you'll have to make 1 visa run, and then you won't have to move from the kingdom for 9 months. in most cases you'll have to follow the courses