Driving license in Austria

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Austria?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Austria?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).


Almost 1000 people have seen this post but none of them bother to reply. This is the lacking I find here on ExpatBlog, no one cares at all, they might all be being selfish. At least "Administrators" should be able to answer expats queries, rather than just moving posts from here to there.

What I have been told that I should bring an "International driving license" from my home country, on behalf of which I can drive for the 6 months in Austria and later Austrian Authority will transfer/convert this license to Austrian driving license. For this purpose I have to get enrolled to Austrian Driving School and give test anf if cleared the test they will convert my home country license to Austrian license by charging amount of around 250 Euros. Otherwise, without a home country license I will have to get enrolled in driving school, learn from there, give test, and get license by submitting charges between 1500-2000 Euros. That's all I know so far :)


Hello Osama,

Thank you for sharing this information with us. :top:

Actually, the main aim of Expat.com is actually the sharing of information; usually from current expats to new or future expats. That is because these expatriates are the one who had to go through the whole experience and will thus have more accurate information than any information one can gather randomly on a website. Thus the reason behind the creation of Expat.com.

If you have any information that you feel will be helpful to other expats in Austria, you can always share them on the Austria forum or else in our Participative Guide.

Expat.com Team

Hey, so I have a UK driving license and been driving for two years, will I be able to drive here in Austria with this license or will i need to change it to an austrian or european one?

No need to change it over as we are all part of the EU, and all licenses which are issued with in the 28 countries are able to drive in each others countries.

The biggest problem for you Leoni is getting to drive on the right, as back in the UK its on the left. I would recommend finding a a large empty car park to get use driving with the gear stick on the other side of you.

Look  here

New topic