Transferring the registration of a car from the UK to Austria.

My wife and I have lived in Austria since 2008 as "long-term visitors" (we had to leave the country every 6 months), being registered here as at a secondary address (Nebenadresse). We have now changed our registration to permanent residence (Hauptadresse).
We brought our UK registered (2005) Skoda Octavia with us, which meant that we had to return to the UK every year for the MOT. We have driven the Octavia in Austria for over 6 years with no problems. Prior the our residence re-designation I made enquiries what I would need to transfer the car to Austrian registration. It all seemed straight-forward until I started the process.
The problem I am facing is that the department of the provincial government (Landesregierung) that has to authorise the use of the car in the province (and hence Austria) requires a written statement from the main Skoda importer in which way my car is different from those normally imported into Austria. They do not seem to be able to supply that, and without it the provincial government will not move. The stalemate has now lasted almost 3 months.

The local Skoda agency has been very supportive, and finally suggested that I enquire at the equivalent department in Vienna. They replied that all that was necessary was to change the front and rear lights to the local norm together with an affadavit that these had been installed correctly.

If we lived in Vienna the problem would be solved, but we don't. The local man will not accept the opinion of the Viennese department.

Has anybody encountered, and overcome, this problem? Any ideas?

George

Personally I would not have bothered bringing it over.  The cost is silly when you coukd have bought one  in Austria

Don't. Even bother sell the car in the UK, and buy one over here, I tried with my Stab after I came over here they asked over € 4000 for a car 22 years old then. I gave it away and bought a van. The regulations are tough enough for cars from Germany to here from the UK impossible, we just got a German Vw Passart with the same spec as the Austrian, and had a bit to pay on a 12 year old car. Someone I know brought a BMW from Germany had to pay a few thousand to change the seating adjustment since a few milometers of difference to the Austrian model then the tax. The difference is impossible plus being right hand drive. Austria is a money making racket.  Pay a visit and have a chat live near the U1 one stop before End favoriten. Also have house in Burgenland 110 kilometers outside Vienna in lovely location. Contact [email protected]

Hi George.
This will not solve your problem but is meant by way of sympathetic support.  However your local and National OAMTC should be able to clarify things for you.  Coming from NZ we were shocked how expensive 2nd hand vehicles were over here, (not to mention the insurance!!!).  We bought a SKODA new in Austria.  It was much cheaper in Germany but there's a lot of legwork and additional expense involved in registering the vehicle in Austria, plus your German needs to be top-notch.  In short they make it a nightmare to do anything other than buy your vehicle in Austria.

Dealing with local authorities on what is supposed to be a relatively  simple national matter can be a nightmare due to inconsistent information provided to them, which then has to be trained to the local Gemeinde/BH rep.  The training is inconsistent at local level both in timings and content.

So while your Gemaeinde/BH rep is wrong, nothing will convince them otherwise, and they can be even more obstinate once you try to offer help (eg from a neighbouring Gemeinde or National Body to "guide" their responses) to what is actually correct.

My example was trying to change my HGV licence to Austrian and finding a suitable and "authorised" course provider for the C95 (Driver CPC) commercial drivers qualification.  This requires 35 hours attendance at a course, covering a variety of compulsory and optional subjects over 5 days.  This is European law!.  Our rep was convinced it must be 42 hours and nothing would change her mind, even though no-one offers a course of more than 35 hours.  We tried all avenues including asking to be seen by a different member of the team "-not possible")and options with her as her abstinence grew, and eventually had to go over her head.  It took a couple of weeks longer of probing from us for her sheepish reply to eventually arrive accepting a course. 

Due to the delays, I'd missed all the Vorarlberg courses and had to travel to Tirol though the Arlberg toll tunnel every day for a week which economically necessitated the purchase of an annual tunnel pass.  The documents duly arrived and we made the appointment to go the rep to get it all changed over.  Interestingly we were seen by one of our reps colleagues as "something had come up".  We took this to mean that she had been suitably chastised by the experience and couldn't face us eye to eye knowing she had been wrong all along and had cost us a lot of extra money, stress and time in the process.  But this was the only satisfaction we got.

Hope thats of help

MarkV

2nd cars might be more expensive, but they keep their value, not like the UK. You buy a new car as soon as you drive off the forecourt you can knock a few grand straight off it. If you need any help.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No external links allowed