Need help for job application and relocation

Hi everybody
I just joined this forum to get more information about Abu dhabi average salaries;
My husband has a Phd and 4 years of experience and have just been proposed a contract as Assistant professor and as a monthly salary in Abu dhabi
1 basic salary 11000 dhs
2accomodation 8000
3 Transportation 1000
Experience allowance 8000
the contract mentions a yearly travel allowance (2000dhs) and health insurance;
as per me, as I'm still preparing my Phd they proposed me 11000 Dhs and will go to 18,000 upon getting my Phd;
We did not yet answer and my husband said it's maybe not enough for both of us with a 2 years baby;
we are Tunisians and having a comfortable life style although we can not afford big savings per year over here;
Please I need some hints and thank you in advance!!

Hi Danielle and Welcome to the Forum,

From an expat point of view I would say that the money you were offered is quite good for a small family like yours and you would be able to make a considerable savings based on your lifestyle.

The dilemma in busy cities like Abu Dhabi, Dubai even Doha at the moment is to find a decent accommodation and a reasonable rental as this may have a major impact on your budget.

Best of Luck with your move :)

thanks vidovido for your reply,
we've been going through major rental websites and actually find that this is very expensive. there is also the nursery fees to consider.
It is a very difficult decision and we don't know what to do. Can you please give me more details about life costs!
thanks a lot

Hi Danielle,

Cost of life depends mainly on your lifestyle and can vary tremendously from person to another … Here below are some info just to give you some hints:

Cars : Try to avoid using Taxis unless necessary, as it would be much cheaper for you to rent a car. You can have a Nissan Sunny or Toyota Yaris for something like $500 a month. Fuel may cost you around $75 a month.

Dining out cost: Depends on where/what will you eat. As an average, a good lunch might cost you between $25-50; however you still can find very good places for lunch below this average.

You may also have to consider something like $300-400 a month per adult for groceries and house stuff.

The above figures are just an estimate to give you an idea while planning your move, and may vary from person to another.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,

Very much grateful Vidodido for your hints, it is really helpful to figure out the whole thing.
so you suggest renting a car rather than taxis, would it then be interesting to actually buy one? maybe not the first days but upon settlement?
thks Vidodido

You are most welcome Danielle ... Glad that it helped :)

Actually buying a car in GCC countries is a very practical and desirable option if you are planning to stay for long.

Regards :)

Hi
you can find a 2 bed room appt in down town abu dhabi for 8000 the rest of your income will relay to your way of living one thing for sure you will need
1- 600 AED for each mobile
2- pay for car credit avarage 1600 for a fair car 2600 for a good car
3- pay for petrol average 700 per month
4- parking fees 600 per month
5- supermarket food not less that 4000 monthly
6 -leisure expenses 3000 monthly
7- hairdresser 900 monthly
8- unseen expenses 1200
9 house rent 8000
10 electricity and water avarage 400
dont for get you will need to buy new cloth get new stuff for home pay for car insurance and car traffic fines and different fines you cannot imagine if you step out of the line

thanks hourico for your reply,
I've made huge research and got surprising answers as per the proposition.
as you mentionned it, people were surprised we didn't get any relocation fee, and that's why we won't accept the offer. we will need to spend huge money to relocate there and without any funds we will struggle!
think it's because we are north africans not americans or britain otherwise relocation fees would be granted!!!
subject to follow more!
anyway great to read you and thks