Where would you look for the best option?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and am so happy to get all this info! I'm in Toronto, currently and for the past 10 years have worked in Corporate Communications in the financial industry. Before that, I worked in ESL/EFL teaching/consulting in Toronto and abroad (China; Ethiopia; Cuba).
I'm recently divorced with an 18 year old son - I'd like to make a change and make some money doing so. I have a BA Economics, TESL certificate, Masters in Education, have also done ESL training in the corporate world.
Question - anyone know where I'd do the best moneywise? A company or university ESL teachiing? Any specific orgs you'd recommend? Any idea what I could expect in salary?
Finally - will being a divorced/single woman be a strike against being considered for jobs?
Thanks so much in advance!

Hi there,

I personally think companies & corporations pay more then institutes. Some universities have good pay package aswell and it depends on # of years of experience that you can show on your cv ;) and the major you teach. Generally pay scale for Language classes would be anywhere 2.5k to 7k a month. (Please Confirm with others too).

Lastly, I don't think these guys here mind personal relationship. Infact these guys prefer single people, cuz this way they will be processing less documents for family sponsorships and all :). in otherwords, Job App. isin't weighted based on your status.

Do you already have a job offer from here? which placement agency did you use?

The best option to work for would be international companies in Arabia after Aramco and Sabic. There are very few Canadian companies here, i only know of one that is "Lavalin".

Thanks for the response Rizwarsi. I don't have a firm offer but am under consideration by a private training co. called Alsrooh Alzkieh that apparently supplies instructors to many public universities. No salary info until they review my qualifications. I will keep looking! Also - do you have any opinion on Jedda versus Riyadh?

No worries at all. btw earlier i meant 2.5k to 7k Canadian dollars.
i guess, if you ask anyone who's been here or from here, will tell you to choose any city over Riyadh.
My opinion... I moved to Khobar (Eastern Province/Dhahran) it's only about 20-30 mins from Bahrain and Bahrain is a nice country, so i can always go across and they have nice malls, events & activities, upscale launges, live performances and Movie theaters. So if i were ya, i'd surely go for (1)Khobar if not (2)Jeddah and (3) last option Riyadh. 
Riyadh is known to be the boring city so the salaries are slightly higher, compared to the other cities here. feel free to send me a message anytime if you need more info.

Thanks,
Riz

Hi - I've also received an offer from Alsrooh Alzkieh and also living in Toronto right now.

Can I ask why Riyadh is to be avoided? It seems that more expats would mean more things to do, and Riyadh being the capital would have the most expats...

But I don't know so I'm asking :) Any more insight?

Thanks!

Hi J.A. - I've been reading whatever I can online and from what I've read so far, Riyadh is described as the most conservative city - therefore more 'boring'. Jeddah is described as less conservative and of course, it's on the sea so diving is a draw. But of course, I have no direct experience so maybe Riz can comment.
As a woman, I'm assuming it wouldn't matter much where I'd be based given the restrictions in place...

Thanks Toronto 2012 - that definitely makes some sense.

Hi again J.A. in Toronto,
I have been sitting on the fence on the offer from Alsrooh but wondered if you're going ahead with it. If so, and with all due respect to your privacy, can you share any details of your offer - e.g., # of hours per week; # of days off for the year; how the salary compares to any other Saudi job ads you've seen?