Leisure activities

Hello,

I am an Austrian and I need some info about the life in Mauritius. I am looking for forum members who can tell me something about the everyday life in Mauritius.

How many leisure do you have? What are you doing in your free time? Are there any popular leisure activties in Mauritius?

Thx everybody,
Birgit

Hi Birgit and welcome to Expat.com!

You could browse throught the different discussions of the Mauritius forum > leisure, as a start- hope it helps!

Francesca

yes you have lot of leisure here sea leisure diving  lot of attraction  wlk with lion etc...

hey Birgit. there are many leisure activities in Mauritius, some free, and some paid for. as you mention 'everyday life' then, weekends, usually people hit the beach for the whole sand sea and sun experience and in the evenings, there are popular places to hang and chill out with friends (or colleagues after work) and just grab a drink and relax.
visiting the island of Mauritius, in itself, is a leisure activity. there are so many amazing places to discover that I'm sure when you get to Mauritius initially, you'll be busy sightseeing :) shopping is also huge in Mauritius nowadays, with many new and international-level shopping centres.

elsewise, there are paid-for leisure activities; scuba and deep sea diving, skydiving, golf, horse riding and many more.

what other activities are there for beside beach, and water sports?

if u do come, try not to come during mauritius public holidays...had an experience where all eateries, malls, petrol stations, etc were not open during new year..

well it really depends, what sort of leisure activities are you into? i'm sure there's something for everyone.
if you're a health and fitness buff, then there's the gym or any other sports activity, football, tennis, etc.
and if you're an outdoorsy sort of person, then you could always try hiking or trekking.
there are also pool and snooker clubs round the island.
and of course, by night, clubbing is huge in Mauritius as well.

but those are the more conventional activities :) is there anything that you like doing in particular?

i have been searching for bowling arena  ? any idea

oww, as far as i know, both bowling arenas in Mauritius, that i knew of, have closed down :( which is a real shame.
there was one in the Manhattan shopping complex in Curepipe and another one in Windsor complex at Beau Bassin (not too sure about this). they closed down after a few years of operating. However, you might wanna check re: the Windsor one because i'm not too sure about that one.