Maybe not moving to Mauritius

I've always lived in one country and got used to moving freely anyplace within it's borders. Now that I've retired (early) I'd like to live in other places different from what I'm used to. But after studying the immigration laws I begin to realize that living on foreign shores for more than a few months at a time may be just a dream. I don't have the financial resources to buy my way in and wouldn't want to do that anyway. I don't care for staying in hotels, and eating in restaurants. I like to settle into a place that will be my home but if I have to leave too soon then I don't see how I can sign a long term lease or even have my belongings shipped in. 
   Immigration laws have there purposes and I agree with the need for them but those laws may make it difficult or impossible for me to enjoy my later life the way I had intended.
  So I'd appreciate it if some of you kind people with knowledge of relocating to different countries would give me a bit of advice or examples of your own experiences.

Have to agree that it looks like an insurmountable obstacle with long delays and a lot of worry about having 'missed something'. It doesn't help that rules seem to change all the time.

I traveled and worked, albeit several months at a time, in numerous countries and run the gamut of government administration more times than I can count. That's from po-faced Swiss immigration officials (who were actually very helpful) to Smiley faced Thai immigration officials who gave the impression you were only one step away from the 'Bangkok Hilton'. (The infamous prison)

You often find that countries are more welcoming of older potential immigrants. Ive just completed my occupation-permit run and generally found the government staff to be helpful.

Is it all worth the effort? Absolutely! It is scary, intimidating and worrying but once that paper in in your hands then its done and dusted. Now where's the beach?

Id recommend the effort of checking out the requirements, finding out what they want and give it a try.

Don't spend your days thinking about what might have been. Grab your dream with both arms and live it. Lots of people here ready t help and welcome you. Good luck to you.

No pain no gain! Adjustments must be done. You wont achieve anything without compromising. Life is not a 365 days win situation. Flexibility is equal to happiness, rigidity is equal to sorrow & loss.

Hi,

In my opinion the best place to retire is either New Zealand or Mauritius. The laws are easy in both these countries provided you have the funds. I dont know if there are loop holes in the system if you dont have the required retirement category funds. You can always ask some reliable Expat.com relocation agents in both these countries.
All the best
Terence

Thanks Phil and Kevinson. Terence, I had long wanted to live in New Zealand but I believe it is too cool for me and too expensive.  I am comfortable with a modest lifestyle and don't want to try to live beyond my means. At some point I will come to Mauritius and speak to immigration. I can always stay for three months, six if I can extend it and then go elsewhere for what's left of the year if that's the only choice I have. But as I get older travel interests me less and home is the place I value most. That's why I'm looking around for a spot I can enjoy living for the next dozen years or so.  Thanks, Tim

hi time1, i'm doing some research and came across this:
http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid2.aspx

it's not much, i'll keep looking, maybe there are other ways. immigration laws sometimes make it near to impossible for a person to live and reach out for their dreams, which is a real shame :(

however, i do like your idea, whereby you mentioned you'd come over for holidays, extend your visa, and speak to immigration regarding a residence permit. that sounds like a very good idea and at the same time, you get to experience Mauritius firsthand.

Good morning Nerolife, or afternoon I guess for you. I had seen this information elsewhere and each time I read it I think Mauritius may not be quite what I'm looking for. I wonder how a wealthy person spending at least a half million USD on a house will benefit the people of Mauritius. Whether it's retirement or any of the government's schemes they just sound like a shake down that creates a two tiered society. I am having some difficulty finding a home in a nice climate that doesn't cater to the resort community since these are places people go for vacation. Where I live now is like that. Overcrowded, expensive.
  I do agree though, I will have to come for a visit to see Mauritius for myself, then find out how long I can stay or what I want to do.
Thanks for the link. Tim