Pregnancy in Turin

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Turin?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Turin?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice !

Christine

Hello Christine,
I asked Debra to ask her Italian office administrator about your question. Here is the response she received.

A recommended gynecologist is Simona Sdei and her office is in Corso Re Umberto 56, phone # 011 505593. She's a little bit expensive but very competent. She has all the devices for ultrasonography.
I don't know if she speaks English. She works at the same time at the Sant'Anna hospital, one of the best in Italy in this sector.

At the same hospital, they make all tests during pregnancy (blood, screening, etc).

In Italy, you have to make blood and urine tests every months.

During pregnancy, it is recommended not to eat prosciutto, salami, lardo, etc and raw meat (I don't know if US gynecologist give this recommendation considering that you don't eat raw meat in the US),  nor uncooked eggs. You should wash with baking soda or similar products fruits and vegetables. All this measures will help pregnant women not to contract toxoplasmosis.

Debra Palmer
Maybe this is good information. I hope so.

Ciao,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Hi, I see that you got already a very good answer from Gary. I would add not to eat cheese from row milk. We have a lot of them in Europe. The guidelines given in Italy are pretty standard in (at least mainland) Europe.
I am now living in the US, but have a lot of family in Turin. Some of them doctors. If you are unhappy with the doctor that Gary suggested you, let me know and I will ask them for advice. Which kind of insurance do you have?

Thank you for this info, amgallin! :)

Christine,

I gave birth at Sant'Anna hospital in Torino and it was a nightmare! Italians refer to it as the "baby factory". I would seriously look into giving birth at another hospital!

Sorry to be so blunt. I only wish someone would have warned me!

Shelly

I've just had my 2nd baby a month ago so, everything is still fresh in my mind.

Hospitals- Most DO NOT offer Epidurals so, if that's what you're looking for, Sant'Anna is your best option. (I believe the hospital in Moncalieri offers it- as well as water births) I truly believe that your nearest hospital is the best option and will treat you well. I had both of my girls at Ospedale Martini and I loved it. The staff is wonderful and some do speak (broken) English. After a natural delivery, my required stay was 4 days. Afterwards, I walked home feeling rested.

Once you find your hospital, I recommend getting all of your exams (if possible) at that hospital. That way everything is on record and if you forget something, they can easily look it up. Also get a tour of the facility and a list of things to bring for your stay.

As of last year, 3rd trimester sonograms are no longer mandatory unless your pregnancy is a High Risk. However, if your doctor still wants you to get one (like mine) you will have to pay out of pocket. Reserve it immediately since a lot of hospitals won't do them anymore. I had to go to ANCED (an ambulatory clinic) to get mine because the wait was too long at Sant'Anna, Maria Vittoria, and Rivoli... and going to Orbassano was not something I wanted to do.

I don't have any information on Doctors. I know a lot of OB/GYN will make you do blood/urine test every month. My OB/GYN is my General Practitioner. I only did the required test and nothing extra. I've heard many ladies complain that their doctors are strict about weight gain. Most only want you to gain around 10kg. Any more and you may get yelled at!

As far as food.. Here's the run down. As Gary's post mentioned, raw meats are out. No salami, prosciutto crudo, etc... nothing with raw eggs (tiramisu). When you're out to eat, you'll have to stay away from sandwiches and salads and anything that has fresh fruits and veggies. ALL fruits and veggies must be washed in Amuchina (sterilizing solution) before eating... if you're going to eat them raw. AND/OR you can peel the skin off the fruits. If your fruits/veggies are going to be cooked then you don't need to wash them in the solution.

Hope this helps and if anyone wants/needs more info, you can always send me a message and I'll try to help.

Sonia

:one

Hello Christine,
I am 7 months pregnant :)
How well do you speak Italian?
I have a gynecologist to recommend but she doesn't speak English.
Just in case, I will give you her name: Dottoressa Cavanna in Santa Rita area, 0113241321. Call after 4 pm to  make an appointment. She is a private doctor and fees are 80 euro without a receipt, 120 with.

As far as a hospital in Turin, Sant'Anna is the best hospital to deliver a baby. They are a university hospital and do everything.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Rachel
An American in Turin

Thanks for helping okainer ;)

Armand

Hello,

We are a couple from India and planning for Family.
We live in turin and looking for some English speaking Gynecologist.
Kindly help us in finding English speaking Gynecologists.

We can speak very little Italian

Abhinav
+393895942508

Hi Christine,
as you've seen most gynecologists will take from 80 to 120 euros for a visit in Turin. Mine really doesn't insist on monthly visits... so I guess it depends on a doctor.

Sant'Anna is a huge hospital and it is indeed refered to as a 'babies factory', but it is also the best equipped hospital for newborns emergencies in Turin.

If you have a Codice Fiscale, you've got a right for 'Agenda di Gravidanza' which is a totally free folder with all appointment cards that you'll need during your pregnancy, including the chromosome anomalies screening (developed by Piemonte Region). So 95% of all pregnancy exams are free of charge, and with this agenda you don't even have to go to a doctor, you just fill it out yourself and than go to the closest ASL (pregnant women have a right for a priority tickets in hospital lines). 

You can get this Agenda in any Consultorio close to where you leave.

You need to make your exams every month only if you don't have antibodies to Toxoplasmosys or Roseola, because these diseases have no symptoms and are very dangerous for a baby.

The same with food, if you already have antibodies to Toxoplasmosys you actually can eat salads, raw meat and raw vegetables.

So pregnant women can still enjoy life ))

Elena