Living as a retired but only 31 years old... Help please!!!

Hi all,

I new to the forum and have read many very interessting threads. I have a question that I hope someone has an answer to and I also hope the webmasters put it in the right category if I get it wrong.

Me and my wife, both Swedish nationals, aged 31 and 32, are in the progress of moving to KL after living almost 7 years i Thailand. The main reason for us to move to Malaysia is the higher quality of the international schools avalible to our now 4 year son. But also to be able to live more "civilized"...

Now to the question: As we are not interessded in working in the country, only enrolling our son in school, will it be ok to continuasly staying and renewing the 3 month tourist visa? We can of course everytime we do a visarun present bank documents with valid and sufficient funds to pay for the "coming" 3 months.

As we have done in Thailand to make the situation as easy as possible and due to the extreme corruption, we are the whole family residing in the country on business visas whom we pay for out of our own pocket.

So please, any tips or pointers to how we can stay in Malaysia legaly but by paying as little as possible...

Best Regards

Kent

Are you eligible for MM2H?

lorgnette01 wrote:

But I am not interessded in investing... As me and my wife are retired the only thing we are interessded in is, without big investments, stay in the country legally when our son attends an international school. If this means I need to open a company for a small fee and apply for a work permit... fine, no problem! Or if we can show sufficient funds at the border every time we do a visa run and get a 3 mont stamp... if that's legal...

Hello Kentonell,

Well the answer of your question regarding 3 months visa reneal every time is  "YES"  you can do it & most of the established middle age expat folks do like this.

I am an expat as well and recently open my grill bar in KL so i came to know the Pros & Cons of the that visit visa proceedure as well, thats y opened my company here.

MM2H is of no use for the age group like u & ur wife are. but a big waste of money for nothing.  the best deal would be you just make a LLC company in KL  i.e. called SDNBHD here in KL. hire a gd lawyer and they will arrange everything for me since its Malaysia :)   the total cost will be under 15000Rm as i paid.

in this way u can stay as long as u want more over u can apply for PR after 3 years.

this would be the best choice for u if u want. if u need guidence to find a lawyer i can give you the details of the person who did it for me.

Best Regards,
Ali

kingali2308 wrote:

Hello Kentonell,

Well the answer of your question regarding 3 months visa reneal every time is  "YES"  you can do it & most of the established middle age expat folks do like this.

I am an expat as well and recently open my grill bar in KL so i came to know the Pros & Cons of the that visit visa proceedure as well, thats y opened my company here.

MM2H is of no use for the age group like u & ur wife are. but a big waste of money for nothing.  the best deal would be you just make a LLC company in KL  i.e. called SDNBHD here in KL. hire a gd lawyer and they will arrange everything for me since its Malaysia :)   the total cost will be under 15000Rm as i paid.

in this way u can stay as long as u want more over u can apply for PR after 3 years.

this would be the best choice for u if u want. if u need guidence to find a lawyer i can give you the details of the person who did it for me.

Best Regards,
Ali

Thank's for your detailed reply Ali... Can you please explain to me how the company structure is in Malaysia and how the whole process for me, my wife and son will be;
i.e in Thailand I first need to set up a co. ltd., then leave the country to apply an Non B visa and then come back to Thailand to apply for the actual work permit that has to be renewed once a year. Also I have to visit the local immigration every 3 months to "report" my self.
Is the process similar in Malaysia or is it totaly different? Please, walk me thru the stages from A-Z.

Best Regards

Kent

kentonell wrote:
kingali2308 wrote:

Hello Kentonell,

Best Regards,
Ali

Thank's for your detailed reply Ali...

PLEASURE IS ALL MINE

Can you please explain to me how the company structure is in Malaysia and how the whole process for me, my wife and son will be;

PLEASE NOTE THAT 1ST YOU UR WIFE AND SON HAVE TO COME TO MALAYSIA ON A VISIT VISA (ONLY U CAN COME AS WELL) THEN U MUST HAVE TO EITHER GO TO COMPANY'S REGISTRATION OFFICE IN KL OR HIRE A LAWYER (THAT IS BETTER) 1ST U HAVE TO GET THE NAME APPROVAL OF UR COMPANY AFTER THAT UR COMPANY GETS INCORPORATED IN KL. THEN U HAVE TO HIRE AN OFFICE FOR UR COMPANY THEN GO TO IMMIGRATION SUBMIT UR PAPERS AND THEN U GET UR DP-10 WORK PERMIT VISA ONCE UR VISA IS STAMPED ON UR PASSPORT THEN U CAN APPLY THE DEPENDANT VISA FOR UR FAMILY. PLZ NOTE THAT THE COMPANY REGISTRATION PROCESS DAY 1 TO D-DAY TAKES AROUND 20 TO 30 WORKING DAYS AND AFTER THAT IMMIGRATION PROCESS DAY 1 TO D-DAY  TAKES MAXIMUM 10 WORKING DAYS. UR WORK PERMIT WILL BE VALID FOR 2 YEARS AFTER THAT IT WILL BE RENEWED FOR NEXT 3 YEARS AND UR FAMILY VISA WILL BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO UR VALIDITY OF VISA. DEPENDANT VISA COST IS WITH 600RM FOR 1 PERSON PER 2 YEARS OR PER UR RENEWAL. UR WORK PERMIT COST WILL BE WITH IN 4000RM FOR 2 YEARS AND THEN SOMETHING LIKE WITH IN 2200 FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS.  YOU CAN OPERATE AND OPEN BANK ACCOUNTS ONCE U GET LEGAL RESIDENT STATUS AFTER ACQUIRING UR WORK PERMIT. MORE OVER IF U WANT TO WORK OUTSIDE OR UR SPOUSE THEY CAN DO SUBJECT TO PRIOR PERMISSION FROM IMMIGRATION.  ONCE UR VISA IS DONE THEN U HAVE 2 CHOICES (1) TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND RE-ENTER ON UR WORK PERMIT OR (2) PAY 560RM AND THE IMMIGRATION WILL STAMP UR PASSPORT FOR IN / OUT WITHOUT LEAVING THE COUNTRY. SO ITS UR CHOICE.

i.e in Thailand I first need to set up a co. ltd., then leave the country to apply an Non B visa and then come back to Thailand to apply for the actual work permit that has to be renewed once a year. (PLEASE NOTE THAT DP-10 VISA IS FOR 2 YEARS TERM)

Also I have to visit the local immigration every 3 months to "report" my self.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO NEED TO VISIT IMMIGRATION PER 3 MONTHS. (MAY B THAI GOVT LIKE THE FACES OF EXPATS THATS Y CALL THEM BEFORE REGULARLY  :) LOLZ)     THERE IS NO SUCH RULE IN MALAYSIA.

Is the process similar in Malaysia or is it totaly different? Please, walk me thru the stages from A-Z.

Best Regards

Kent

I hope i have given the answers of all ur question to my optimum knowledge.

Have a gd day and feel free to ask anything u want, since i have been through this whole process and can understand the headaches of expats going to relocate for the new era. so i am here for u friend.

Best Regards.
Ali

kingali2308 wrote:

Have a gd day and feel free to ask anything u want, since i have been through this whole process and can understand the headaches of expats going to relocate for the new era. so i am here for u friend.

Best Regards.
Ali

Ali,

Thank you very much for detailing the prosess for me... a couple of extras for you to answer if you dont mind ;)

So, when the 2 year long work permit expirees, what are the options then i.e. extension, permanent recidency? And how long would the extentions be valid for and would the same costs apply?

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread; we are not looking to work at all, but if the company and work permit solution is the way to stay legally in the country... so be it. However, I presume this means for me to be able to keep the actual work permit the company has to be "active" at all time. What do you estimate the monthly running cost of the company beeing, accountant, lawer etc? And what would I be expecting paying tax on a yearly basis?

As it works here in corrupted Thailand I can have a work permit on a "resting" company and that costs me around 1500 RM/year...

Again, thanks for tahing the time Ali!

Best Regards

Kent

kentonell wrote:
kingali2308 wrote:

Best Regards.
Ali

Ali,

Thank you very much for detailing the prosess for me... a couple of extras for you to answer if you dont mind ;)

Answer:  My Pleasure to help u Kent. i dont mind at all :)

So, when the 2 year long work permit expirees, what are the options then i.e. extension, permanent recidency? And how long would the extentions be valid for and would the same costs apply?

Answer: When the 1st 2 years Work permit expires (means ur stay  in KL is 2 years) then u must have to apply for the extension in it. u can not file a claim for ur PR in KL unless ur legal stay in KL is 3 yrs old. after 3yrs of reside in KL u can apply for PR. OR  if u dont wanna claim the PR u can renew ur working permit extensions 1st after 2 years and 2nd extension (if ur company is active and u have a family with u) u can get for direct 5 or 10 years depending upon immigration officer incharge there. the renewal cost for ur visa is with in 600Rm and ur family with 400Rx approx.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread; we are not looking to work at all, but if the company and work permit solution is the way to stay legally in the country... so be it. However, I presume this means for me to be able to keep the actual work permit the company has to be "active" at all time. What do you estimate the monthly running cost of the company beeing, accountant, lawer etc? And what would I be expecting paying tax on a yearly basis?

Answer: Yes, at the time of renwal u need to prove the status of ur company as ACTIVE. and for this purposeif u hire a experienced lawyer it will cost u around or with in 3000Rm a year to sustain ur company status as active. or if u dont wanna hire a lawyer then annual accounts report u can get from a registered Audit firm with in 400Rm a year but then u have to submit all the tons of paper by ur self and get to rush there to SSM (company's registration office in KL). Regarding the Tax, it depends upon ur Accountant how intelligent he or she is ;)   but nominal charges are like 200Rm to 300Rm per month not more than that for sure.

As it works here in corrupted Thailand I can have a work permit on a "resting" company and that costs me around 1500 RM/year...

Answer: By the Grace of Politics Corruption is well managed and maintained in Malaysia as well lolz :) so anything u want to be done, will be done dont worry just u have to have some coins in ur pocket.

Again, thanks for tahing the time Ali!

!!!!!!!!!!!Dont say Thanks every time man  :)

Best Regards

Kent

Best Regards,
Ali

Wow, super information Ali! Our move will probably be at the end of the year, so you have given me a really good start of point!!! If I have any more questions I will send you a PM.

Best Regards

Kent

Btw mm2h is not an option until 40 and above. You can I think get a dependent visa if your child has a student visa (needs one to enroll legally)

Wow Kingali 15k for company setup of a business ..... But that is Malaysia money overcomes all issues. Good luck with the grill!

I am interested in this discussion. Please let me send you PM.

Excellent contributions, there, Ali.

We also don't have to do that foolish 90-day reporting here that we do in Thailand, either.  Thailand, for all it offers, is not very foreigner-friendly.  Much better for foreigners in Malaysia.

I was just wondering about this --- "will it be ok to continuasly staying and renewing the 3 month tourist visa?"

Ali says it is ok and many retired expats do, but does this work for everyone? Even young people?

yes it does Dice. but everytime you need to pay a certain cost for travelling or visa if ur passport is not visa free. so better go for the company setup

Hi Ali,
Seek your expert help!
I took my MM2H in Oct, 2012 with my family by depositing 300,000MYR and now I am not staying in Malaysia. Is it necessary for me to visit Malaysia periodically?
Can I start a new company in Malaysia on my own without involvement of a Malaysian Partner?
How much I 'll have to pay to register the company as MM2H?
Thank you in advance
Saeed Mirza

HELLO DEAR SAEED,
I am from Algeria, aged 56 and very interested to apply for this matter, I read the procedures in the net but seemed so long and complicated for me.
If you have  shorter procedures to apply for this, please advise and let me know all details

tks

mr salah

saeedmirza wrote:

Hi Ali,
Seek your expert help!
I took my MM2H in Oct, 2012 with my family by depositing 300,000MYR and now I am not staying in Malaysia. Is it necessary for me to visit Malaysia periodically?
Can I start a new company in Malaysia on my own without involvement of a Malaysian Partner?
How much I 'll have to pay to register the company as MM2H?
Thank you in advance
Saeed Mirza

In order to set up a company in Malaysia,a private limited company,you need at least one of Malaysian citizenship to be one of your director.

kingali2308 wrote:
kentonell wrote:
kingali2308 wrote:

Hello Kentonell,

Best Regards,
Ali

Thank's for your detailed reply Ali...

PLEASURE IS ALL MINE

Can you please explain to me how the company structure is in Malaysia and how the whole process for me, my wife and son will be;

PLEASE NOTE THAT 1ST YOU UR WIFE AND SON HAVE TO COME TO MALAYSIA ON A VISIT VISA (ONLY U CAN COME AS WELL) THEN U MUST HAVE TO EITHER GO TO COMPANY'S REGISTRATION OFFICE IN KL OR HIRE A LAWYER (THAT IS BETTER) 1ST U HAVE TO GET THE NAME APPROVAL OF UR COMPANY AFTER THAT UR COMPANY GETS INCORPORATED IN KL. THEN U HAVE TO HIRE AN OFFICE FOR UR COMPANY THEN GO TO IMMIGRATION SUBMIT UR PAPERS AND THEN U GET UR DP-10 WORK PERMIT VISA ONCE UR VISA IS STAMPED ON UR PASSPORT THEN U CAN APPLY THE DEPENDANT VISA FOR UR FAMILY. PLZ NOTE THAT THE COMPANY REGISTRATION PROCESS DAY 1 TO D-DAY TAKES AROUND 20 TO 30 WORKING DAYS AND AFTER THAT IMMIGRATION PROCESS DAY 1 TO D-DAY  TAKES MAXIMUM 10 WORKING DAYS. UR WORK PERMIT WILL BE VALID FOR 2 YEARS AFTER THAT IT WILL BE RENEWED FOR NEXT 3 YEARS AND UR FAMILY VISA WILL BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO UR VALIDITY OF VISA. DEPENDANT VISA COST IS WITH 600RM FOR 1 PERSON PER 2 YEARS OR PER UR RENEWAL. UR WORK PERMIT COST WILL BE WITH IN 4000RM FOR 2 YEARS AND THEN SOMETHING LIKE WITH IN 2200 FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS.  YOU CAN OPERATE AND OPEN BANK ACCOUNTS ONCE U GET LEGAL RESIDENT STATUS AFTER ACQUIRING UR WORK PERMIT. MORE OVER IF U WANT TO WORK OUTSIDE OR UR SPOUSE THEY CAN DO SUBJECT TO PRIOR PERMISSION FROM IMMIGRATION.  ONCE UR VISA IS DONE THEN U HAVE 2 CHOICES (1) TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND RE-ENTER ON UR WORK PERMIT OR (2) PAY 560RM AND THE IMMIGRATION WILL STAMP UR PASSPORT FOR IN / OUT WITHOUT LEAVING THE COUNTRY. SO ITS UR CHOICE.

i.e in Thailand I first need to set up a co. ltd., then leave the country to apply an Non B visa and then come back to Thailand to apply for the actual work permit that has to be renewed once a year. (PLEASE NOTE THAT DP-10 VISA IS FOR 2 YEARS TERM)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO NEED TO VISIT IMMIGRATION PER 3 MONTHS. (MAY B THAI GOVT LIKE THE FACES OF EXPATS THATS Y CALL THEM BEFORE REGULARLY  :) LOLZ)     THERE IS NO SUCH RULE IN MALAYSIA.

Best Regards

Kent

Best Regards.
Ali

Hi Ali,if you still need to pay for the work permit few thousands ringgit for every 2-3 years,how could you mention that applying MM2H is a waste of money?From what i know to be an MM2Her,one just need to put RM300,000 into one of the bank in Malaysia and goverment dont even take a single cent of the money from you(and the bank still giving out interest) until you quit the program and you can withdraw your money back completely.

And by having MM2H visa in hand,one doesnt need to register any business here because this visa mainly for retiree.
And if you want to set up a business here,you can just do it with the whole process same as local people which without having to pay the work permit few thousands for every 2-3 years.

hi kingali,
   would appreciate the contact details of your lawyer as i'd like to do this arrangement for my fiancee.

many thanks

Hi Ali ,
Could you pm me regarding lawyer and the process of starting a company

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Should recommend in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
kentonell wrote:
lorgnette01 wrote:

But I am not interessded in investing... As me and my wife are retired the only thing we are interessded in is, without big investments, stay in the country legally when our son attends an international school. If this means I need to open a company for a small fee and apply for a work permit... fine, no problem! Or if we can show sufficient funds at the border every time we do a visa run and get a 3 mont stamp... if that's legal...

I don't get it why would you do visa runs and risk being stopped on one of them if you have the option. If you want to stay legally the MM2H is the best and easiest method. You said you are retired in your 30's then the 350k deposit shouldn't be that big a deal (you even get 3% interest on it).

And once you want to leave Malaysia you get it back again.