Dependent Visa Cancellation

Hi,

I have moved to Kuala Lumpur two month back on Dependent Visa and now received an offer letter from the company who is ready to apply for My employment pass.

I wanted to know to how much time it will take to cancel my dependent pass and get the employment pass and what is the procedure for same.

First step is for the employer to apply for the employment pass. If this is successful only then is the DP cancelled. They will indicate whether the application will be accepted.

The EP process can take 2-3 weeks if done online through ESD or MDEC.

DP cancellation should take about 10 days. You will need a no objection letter from your husbands employer who sponsored your DP.  It's basically so they can confirm they are aware of the change of immigration status.

Hi Gravitas,
Thanks for the reply.

so basically it may take a month once my EP application will be submitted?

But my company wants to hire me soon so is there any way that they can process the EP application fast?

I don't know whether the EP/DP already processed are under MDEC or ESD but I believe there is a walk in service available so check accordingly. However some employers insist an agent is used.

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/faq/myxpats/

First step is the employer must make the application to immigration for the EP to see if they can employ you.

Be careful of employers rushing you to start work without an EP because it is for your own protection.

Hi Gravitas,

I got email from my employer that my EP has been rejected and asked for some changes to made on my CV as some information was not updated.

Now I am little worried how further process will be carried on. They confirmed that they will reapply for EP application. I wanted to know is there any difference between reapplying with same documentations or an appeal for rejected visa.

How long will it take to reapply and also to know the final status for EP?
Is there any chance that the application will get rejected again?

An Appeal is the normal way to challenge a rejection. It's an opportunity to provide additional documents or arguments for why only you among the applicants can do the job (I assume there was the required competitive process) Updating a CV is fine as long as the changes are compelling, can be supported and are not just edits.

The time line is 2-3 months for an appeal. It's quite rare for appeals to succeed.

Ask what reason was given for the rejection. Based on this whether an appeal is relevant.

For example if the reason was the job can be done by a Malaysian then the employer should be able to prove the skills were not available. They could readvertise and you can apply again.

Check the job description matches your CV closely. The qualifications and experience must be 'relevant' to the JD.

Edit - just saw the final posting in this discussion which may be relevant to your situation https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 66#4522152

Hi,

I got email from my employer that my application has returned as the immigration wants my dependent visa validity to shorten due to change of pass type and category.
Currently it is valid upto Dec 2020.

Can anyone please help me with the procedure of shortening my Dependent pass.

Also do i need to fly back to my country in order to get EP again?

Unless your husband 's company will process the shortening perhaps they can recommend an agency. I think they have to provide a no objection letter for the cancellation.

Hi,

I am not understanding the fact that my EP is yet not approved and they are asking fo shortening the Dependent visa.

What if my EP gets rejected later and I won't be having much time fo DP as well.

What is the ideal situation in this case?. I am not sure if my husband's company will help in shortening my DP.
I am really confused how to go further and what to do. Please someone help.

Immigration can't approve as only one visa at a time is possible. Perhaps they have indicated to the employer that situation will receive positive consideration.

It may be possible to shorten DP at walk-in Xpats service centre with no objection letter from husbands employer and offer letter stating future start date. Check with the helpline

If you look at the ESD website under Downloads section there should be a checklist for shortening passes

Hi Gravitas,

I have shortened my Dependent pass and now my EP application is approved as confirmed by HR.

But they are asking me to travel back to my country and come back.

Wanted to know if it is necessary to travel or EP can also be stamped on the passport staying in Malaysia itself.

Thanks

Is it immigration that says you must leave and return on a Visa with Reference? VDR. If so that is bothersome so double check. If a VDR is required then full approval is not completed. You should not return on a tourist visa as it cannot be converted to an EP only a VDR can

I Know this is am old post , but i am in same situation now , i want to know how did you manage to cancel the  Dependent pass ?