DP to EP conversion, Timeline and Process

Hi Gravitas,

I tried to find the post in the forum related to DP to EP conversion, however i was only able to find posting for EP to DP
Could you please help me to get me queries cleared...

I have a DP and had performed couple of visits to malaysia, I have got an option to work in malaysia now. So,

1. How long does it take to process my EP, considering im in india also what if i am in Malaysia?
2. What all the complexities in processing the EP while i have a DP.

3. My employer said to come to malaysia on DP and he can process in couple of days to EP, how possible is it and any risks involved
4. which will be the safest and fastest way , is it if i stay in india and get processed EP and then enter malaysia to work, or is it good to travel to malaysia on DP and convert DP to EP.

Please let me know if i could brief you more.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik G

You have to get the DP cancelled by immigration so you will need to come to Malaysia as the employer suggests. (Its only possible to have one type of Pass at any one time)

However, I would suggest that the employer makes an initial application for the EP before cancelling the DP, just in case immigration are going to reject the application because a Malaysian can do the job so foreign recruitment not required. I think this is typically the way it's done, to avoid cancelling the DP unnecessarily.

Thanks Gravitas for the prompt response.

Are you aware how long will it take to cancel the DP once i reach Malaysia and process the conversion to EP and get it completed.
Also do i have to stay in Malaysia only, during this conversion process?

It's hard to say because there is such a lot of backlog in immigration at the moment. As you are Indian national the process is generally a bit longer as your country requires certain additional steps.

It's quite possible the change from DP to EP will take up to one month to complete. The process is exactly the same as for any other recruitment of a foreign national i.e. there is no short-cut just because you are holding a DP. You will need the same sectoral clearance and of course the company will be vetted to see if they have the appropriate incorporation and also a quota to hire more foreigners.

I don't know what the current situation is, about whether you need to be outside Malaysia while the Stage 1 approvals are being obtained. This was certainly the case for jobs where the salary was under RM5k previously.

What's going to be important, is that there has been a transparent competitive process which the prospective employer will need to demonstrate to immigration to get approval.

If the company makes the initial application they will then be guided by immigration as to what are their requirements. Remembering everything is changing because of the new government. The employer is best placed to make enquiries.

Great Gravitas, i do really appreciate for the detailed explanation.
yeah that cleared my queries. i will have a word with my consultants and would see how good we can proceed.

Hi Gravitas and other helpful forum members

I am in a similar situation. my wife has been on a dependant pass since Jan 2018 and she is in discussion with potential employer.
below are some queries

1. she is eligible for cat 2 visa. will it be required to leave the country when her stage 1 is being processed ?

2.  the company hr claims that the ep can be processed  in 1 week time but now after reading above post I understand this is just stories made up by the HR. it may take up to month for the EP to be issued.

3. As my wife has been in Malaysia on dp for more than 182 days will she be taxed progressively or flat 28% still apply?

if she joins in Nov then she will be less than 60 days of financial year so no tax ...what scenario is applicable ?

thanks in advance for looking into this

regards
TO.

expat0102 wrote:

1. she is eligible for cat 2 visa. will it be required to leave the country when her stage 1 is being processed ?

No

2.  the company hr claims that the ep can be processed  in 1 week time but now after reading above post I understand this is just stories made up by the HR. it may take up to month for the EP to be issued.

First step is for the company to submit the application. If it gets approved by the sectoral body and immigration (i.e. no Malaysian can do the job) then the DP has to be cancelled first and only then can the Stage 2 be processed.

3. As my wife has been in Malaysia on dp for more than 182 days will she be taxed progressively or flat 28% still apply?

The 182 days is about Tax Residency, and as she has not been earning any salary in Malaysia, she needs to qualify according to the normal rules and until about July 2nd 2019 will pay 28%

if she joins in Nov then she will be less than 60 days of financial year so no tax ...what scenario is applicable ?

As she will have a long-term EP with a validity of 1 or 2 years, the 60 day rule is not relevant.

Thanks for your reply Gravitas.

One more query:
The potential employer says that monthly tax will not be deducted at source and that the employee will have to pay tax on their own.  Is this normal ?
Also, why would the company not want to deduct tax at source ?

No its a legal requirement for the employer to deduct tax from employees and pay it to the tax office (LHDN).

Sounds like a dodgy company or one that has not had foreigners as employees. Local Malaysians who don't need immigration passes may have alternative rules. But certainly the tax should be deducted. There are fines for late payment of tax. You could check the LHDN website for more information.

Basically it is going to cost your wife money to get a tax agent to submit the required income tax, when the company should have the infrastructure to do that. Either way, she needs to make the monthly tax payments.

Hi,
This is Rajeev, would like to know is any EP Validity time frame to accept new DP request.
My EP validity is over on 2nd Jan 2019, I am planning to submit DP for my new born baby. Since My EP is valid less than 60 Days, can MDEC accept application to process DP.
or I need to get first Renewal of my EP and then only apply for DP.
Your reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Dear Karthik and Expat0102,

Were you able to convert your DP to EP ? What was the process you went through ?

Can you please share the details? It'll really help me with the process.

Appreciate it.

Thanks,

@tyler_durden999

tyler_durden999 wrote:

Dear Karthik and Expat0102,

Were you able to convert your DP to EP ? What was the process you went through ?

Can you please share the details? It'll really help me with the process.

Appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dear Tyler,

A partial yes for your query,

I have a DP which i got in Aug, later i got an offer recently and im trying to convert that DP to EP

Step 1 : The DP needs to be cancelled either Online or via Direct physical cancellation,
i prefer physical cancellation because online cancellation has some complexities(which may be a problem for the your country embassy to deal with, im not completely sure)
Physical cancellation is said to be risk free, but here you need to stay in Malaysia and get it done. and you will get a 30 days visa free stay, however you cannot travel back to your country, (if you travel , you cannot step in with your DP again).
in order to cancel your DP you need  to have return flight ticket with date, or the new employer offer letter having DOJ, so that they will amend your DP validity expiry date to the return ticket provided or the DOJ in offer letter.
Also may be required an Acknowledgement letter from your employer which has to be given by the MDEC team to your employer stating that you are agreed to work here in malaysia and to process the DP cancellation.

This cancellation process would take upto 7-10wrking days normally. however if luck is on your side a day would be more enuf :)

Step 2:
Now after the DP cancellation was done you could see your visa will be amended to the date you provided. you need to send this copy to your employer who would upload this document to MDEC and get the Stage 1 EP processing done, Once you get this approval,. you need to send in your original passport for EP stamp stage 1.

This would normally take 7-14 days of time (currently im in that process)

Once you get you stamping done for stage 1, you can start wrking .

Step 3:
Later once you have your stamped stage 1 Visa, you need to send again some more docuemnts and your original passport for Stage 2 Multiple entry Visa.

This the process for converting DP to EP.

Let me know if you have more quries on the above

Regards,
Karthik

Appreciate you taking time to respond. This information really helps me in cancelling my wife's DP and converting it to her EP.

Thanks a ton, Karthik :D

tyler_durden999 wrote:

Appreciate you taking time to respond. This information really helps me in cancelling my wife's DP and converting it to her EP.

Thanks a ton, Karthik :D

With pleasure,

Let me know how your process got started and went in lane, coz i might get to know if anything i missed.

Thank you

Hi Karthik,

My employer is not helping with DP cancellation. However, I received an authorization letter from the employer to do Physical DP cancellation. I booked the slot in MDEC using [link moderated] website for submission of passport.

1) But I am not sure what documents I have to carry out to MDEC
2)I have an Authorization letter, Original Passport, and new employer offer letter.
3) Do I have to carry any other forms?

Please advise.

Thanks Karthik for your detailed explanation much appreciated!

Hi Karthik, Tyler, Kesav, Pavan,

1. I have been staying in Penang, Malaysia for the last three months with a dependent visa. Now I've got a job, but my employer is not helping with DP cancellation. I have only an offer letter and a valid passport with a visa.

2. Could you please suggest me the DP cancellation website or office?

3. Currently, I am staying in Penang, so should I have to go to KL for physical DP Cancellation and to visit MDEC?

4. My what's app number: ***

Mobile number: ***

5. What is this acknowledgement letter and what content should be in it?

6. Do I require any prior appointment for this? Who is the MDEC team and what do I require from them?

If possible, could you please acknowledge it at the earliest?

Thanks

Samta

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct