Buying Alcohol in Mauritius

Dear All,
I was wondering if anyone on the forum may be able to help me!
I'm getting married in Mauritius in August of this year and the hotel have agreed that I can bring in my own alcohol. This could work in my favour and I'm looking to source good champagne, wines, and also some premium brand spirits and also not forgetting Beer! I've been trying to do some research but am drawing a blank on the web. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some shops that they have used or know of and would recommend. We are getting married in the Grand Bay Area however distance around the island to collect or get it delivered wouldn't be an issue.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As the soon to be husband I have been tasked with this one job and I don't want to get it wrong!!! :)

Many Thanks Ian

Well, for convenience's sake, the SuperU "Hypermarket" (we'd call it a supermarket in the US) has a location right in Grand Baie. The prices are fairly standard for Mauritius, and the location would be hard to beat.

http://www.superu-grandbay.com/portailu … in_accueil

If memory serves correctly, the largest concentration of well-priced choices that I've seen is at the Bagatelle shopping center, which has three different supermarkets to choose from. I'm afraid that I am ignorant in terms of standalone liquor stores.

Yes Super U is the biggest supermarket in Grand Baie. Get all our wine here. Don't think champagne's that cheap (or decent wine)though probably a lot cheaper than hotel prices.:)

Hi
I guess it's cheaper to go to the supermarket to get the wine but I have a vision of you rushing down the aisles trying to find the wine you want and not being able to find the quantity you want.

Sometime ago someone came to dinner and she was talking about Oxenham, who import wine. Suggest you look at the web site www.oxehman.bz and contact them, as part of your research.

Also, I suggest you post your question on the French forum for Mauritius.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your responses so far it's much appreciated! Keep them coming, the more information and places the better... :)
Browsing the suggested sites so far there would appear to be limited selections of branded products, i.e. moet champagne etc. Is this driven by the type of products that are imported into Mauritius or just no demand for it. I would have thought if the hotels are able to source it then it would be available from suppliers on the island.

Thank you again and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers Ian

Ian,
Super U's website isnt very good re product listings but I've seen champagne there just not sure of the brands.
There's also a wine shop in Super U's precint and I've also seen one in a small complex just outside Grand Baie on the way to Pereybere.....just can't recall the name!
Krissy :)

We used Oxenham for our wedding and they will take back anything you don't drink and refund you, which could be useful. The web address given above is wrong though. Try: http://www.oxenham.bz.

I think they are the biggest importer of wines/champagnes/spirits in the country, so will be your best bet.

Hi

Someone told me you should take a look at:

www.grays.muwww.thewinestore.mu

He has bought wine from a company called Eastern Trading. 5 outlets for this company on the island. The email for Eastern Trading in Grand Baie is [email protected] and the telephone number is (230)263 1815.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi,

In Mauritius you will find 2 big beer manufacturers :

Phoenix beverages and Stag Beverages

The companies hereunder are the main actors on the local market in terms of imports and distribution of wine and spirits:
1. Grays
2. Oxenham
4. Phoenix Beverages

Each of them have the exclusivity on certain spirit brand.
For example in terms of champagne, Grays represent Moet in Mauritius. At oxenham you will Laurent Perrier.
Maybe you will have to look at different suppliers if you are searching for specific brands.
Also Grays and Oxenham have their own retail shop. For Grays it is Vin/20, Oxenham it is Le Connoisseur and Phoenix Beverages it is Kote vin.
Also in Moka you have a shop called In Vino which sell only the best selection from each of these main importers.

Hope this will help and congratulations for your wedding.

Hi Ian, Congratualtions and good luck for your upcoming wedding. You are fortunate the hotel has agreed to allow you to bring your own alcohol in as this is where they make huge profits.

As already mentioned Super U has a large selection of alcohol. They have a large wine selection, mostly from South Africa and France but also from a variety of other countries as well.  Well known brand whiskey's, rums and vodka's etc along with many local rums are available and the price will be pretty much the same at any supermarket on the island. They have champagne like Moet and other up market brands are available for around $75 to $100 per bottle. Then you can get very reasonable sparkling wine for around $15 to $20 per bottle or even for around $10 a bottle depending on what your want and what your budget is.  Super U is self serve and you won't get any good advice on the best wines to buy.

The wine store (right next to Super U) also has a very good selection of wine, champagne and spirits and the people there can advise you on what to buy to suit your tastes and budget.  They also have some spirits like brandy, that are not available in Super U.

As for beer, you will get the local phoenix beers which are ok and a few speciality beers like Heineken but not many other choices.  If you are looking for premium beers you need to go to Port Louis to Lambic - www.lambic.mu.  They have hundreds of different beers from around the world and a great restaurant.

I would also buy your own water and soft drinks and mixers as the hotel will also charge a premium for them.

Have a fabulous time in Mauritius.

Ian congratulations. If you need vodka for the cocktails or shooters, I can offer you one of the best vodkas on the Island. Good news Russian Hut just recently received first pallet of Black Sea - vodka from Ukraine. It is currently available in Russian Hut and Beach House only but we are negotiating with one of the wholesalers. For the wedding you can get a wholesale price from Russian Hut. Let me know.

I remember I tried to help you but wasn't able too and I was in reunion the time of your first marriage !!  last year

Hello,
I think much information has already been given by previous posts, however I came across an ad for a new supermarket, Much better life (mauritiusdream.com/) which sells spirits, wine & beer at rather advantageous prices. Try to check them, I don't know where they are located though.

Hi Ian
Congratulations on your wedding.
I wanted to know if you did manage to get some champagne for your wedding?
We are also getting married in Mauritius and wanted to buy a fair number of bottles for our guests?
Thanks
Romila