Best visa options for me arriving 20th January 2024

Hi all, 71 year old Brit with wife arriving the 20th January, previously living Thailand 18 years ago and China the last 14 years.

Considered PH but decided our preference is Thailand.

So, I'm assuming that since I am going the tourist visa route and not retirement visa and wish to 'retire' in Thailand and not PH that I would go the SETV 60 days, add another 30 days inside Thailand then go on a visa run then 'rinse and return' and ongoing ?

Is that possible ?

Or, should I arrive visa exempt and use an alternate route ?

I will also be seeking to rent good accommodation of around 50mts or plus, 1 bedroom, in a safe quiet town with a nearby beach, bars for nights out and local shops but close enough to a town or city where I can replenish my western food weekly or monthly.

I was thinking a town near either Pattaya or Patong only because I know those towns, albeit much would have changed in 18 years, but anywhere that is safe and quiet allowing a hassle free retirement in nice surroundings considered but not southern Thailand.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks Peter

Hi all, 71 year old Brit with wife arriving the 20th January, previously living Thailand 18 years ago and China the last 14 years.
Considered PH but decided our preference is Thailand.
So, I'm assuming that since I am going the tourist visa route and not retirement visa and wish to 'retire' in Thailand and not PH that I would go the SETV 60 days, add another 30 days inside Thailand then go on a visa run then 'rinse and return' and ongoing ?
Is that possible ?
Or, should I arrive visa exempt and use an alternate route ?

I will also be seeking to rent good accommodation of around 50mts or plus, 1 bedroom, in a safe quiet town with a nearby beach, bars for nights out and local shops but close enough to a town or city where I can replenish my western food weekly or monthly.

I was thinking a town near either Pattaya or Patong only because I know those towns, albeit much would have changed in 18 years, but anywhere that is safe and quiet allowing a hassle free retirement in nice surroundings considered but not southern Thailand.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.
Thanks Peter

-@petercc028

Rules have changed, cannot do anymore by Tourist visa up and down. Check on Google the Thai immigration site.

Better a NON-IMM O 3 month visa at Thai embassy before coming and then a Retirement stay permit for 1 year with multiple Re-entry stamp.

Pattaya is east of Bangkok, but have Jomtien, Ban Amphur, Sattahip going towards Rayong and Koh Chang.

Patong is in Phuket island in the south of Thailand west coast and you wrote not in south, but Phuket town is now very developed and very nice, and as well all the island has much more to offer near the airport or down Bangtao, Kamala, Karon, Kata, Rawai..... Check on map.

But there are Cha-Am, HuaHin or Koh Samui, Koh Panghan on inner side of Siam gulf

You must check on map, come see and try, then decide where to stay, is your feeling and your choice but takes time to discover.

Thanks for that my friend, sods law they change the rules just when you think you have it sussed.

I think I'll go to Malaysia for 90 days free visa first then hop across to Thailand free visa then add another 30+30, rinse and repeat, now I just need to find an airbnb or something in Malaysia and Thailand to suit my Chinese wife's budget, haha.

I commence from China on the 8th to PH then onward to wherever the 20th January, I'll also need to hop back across to the PH for a day or two per year so between the lot I should avoid any tax from Thai if it's max 90 in 180 as rumoured.

What do you think ?