Getting married in Belgium

Hello!

I'm visiting my bf in May and I'll be there on a tourist visa. I contacted the city hall in Leuven asking what's required to get married as I'm American. They replied back needing

Certificate of residence and current marital status (divorced an not remarried) via declaration under oath at a notary in USA

I'm confused what the certificate of residence is and where to get it? Also well as the martial status? Has anyone gone through this process?

Once married I'll apply for an orange card and then an F card. Which I think I understand what I need to do for those. But I have a 4 year old daughter. Has anyone applied for an orange card then F card with a minor child?

Thank you for any help! This is all a bit daunting but I'm excited.

😊

@oregonauden

you request for a "certificate of no impendiment to marriage"(CNI) I don't know if you call it the same in the US.you contact the Local County Clerk's office and request for it.

@oregonaudefor certificate of residence you can check online from the state you have permanent residency.maybe ask the county clerk's office.then you can have a way forward.all documents have to be certified be the ministry of foreign affairs.

@oregonauden
you request for a "certificate of no impendiment to marriage"(CNI) I don't know if you call it the same in the US.you contact the Local County Clerk's office and request for it.

-@wipopoo88

There is no such thing in the USA, nor a national marriage registry . 

The declaration can be made at the American embassy in BE, which will satisfy the requirement.  I did the same thing (in Romania)

Reference https://be.usembassy.gov/marriage/

Romaniac