Planning for a marriage and accepted for a PhD in Belgium

Hi

I was planning to marry my girlfriend, and I got acceptance from a Belgian University for a PhD. I do not even have my visa at the moment.

So which is the quickest way to move to Belgium with my partner: applying for a short term "Visa with the purpose of marriage or cohabitation in Belgium" then change it to long-term residence or marrying in my home country then apply for a "family reunification visa"?

In addition, I would like to ask if my partner can come to Belgium with a tourist visa issued for another Schengen country then apply for a family reunification visa in Belgium when she arrived in.

Thank you for your time and answers.

You should apply for a student visa for yourself. "Visa with the purpose of marriage or cohabitation in Belgium" is meant only for those who are moving to Belgium to marry someone who is already in Belgium, so not for you. DEFINITELY marry your partner before you apply for the student visa and then for the family reunification visa for her, otherwise it will be nearly impossible to bring her if you're not married before relocating.

Also to the best of my knowledge, spouses of student visa holders will not be permitted to work while in Belgium, and phds are included under "students" (do check for this), so take this in account if your family budget will require two salaries.

@dodevskaiva thank you for your answer!

So you say that I should not follow the path: applying for student visa, then marry her, then apply for a family reunification visa for her? Cause I was planning to do so. I should be married when I apply for my own student visa then. To be specific, marriage first, then I have to go to Belgium first with student visa, open a bank account, register a rental contract, and apply a reunification visa for my wife, i guess.

I will look for the second thing you said, if a working agreement with an institution or an acceptance for a masters programme for her will change it. Thanks for bringing it to my notice.