Single Permit and D Visa Help

I'm not sure if anyone here has maybe been in a similar situation and may be able to provide advice; I have reached out to my employer's representative that is handling my single permit, as well as the immigration office with no answers yet. My husband and I are moving to Antwerpen from the US in one month. He already has a D visa as a student, and I have a job offer and a pending single permit application. Since single permits are taking and extremely long time, I will not be getting my approved permit in time to apply for a D visa before we leave.

I have read conflicting information on the IBZ website that I need a long stay D visa to enter the country. One one page, it says that I can be exempt from a D visa since I can stay for up to 90 days and the address where I will be living is already known, in which case I can apply for residency from within the country. Here is the link to that page: https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themas/onderdane … gle-permit

On another page, it says that to enter for work and obtain residency, it is necessary to have a D visa before entering the country. Here is the link to that page: https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themes/third-cou … -9bis-9ter

I really just want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly to make sure that our move goes smoothly. It is difficult to figure out what I can and can't do from the conflicting information on the immigration site. Any help is greatly appreciated!

If your address is in Belgium known (lets say your husband managed everything and you are in BE) then you are fine with visa C . After your application authorities can extend your staying period in BE.

As you read in another page you do need D type of visa (its up to 180 days)

As far as i know both visa types are taking more ore less same time period.But in US Embassy things can be different. Good luck.

@maharaji1984 Thank you for your reply! So it sounds like I can do either? Since I'm from the US, I am exempt from a Visa C, so I wonder if I can just do a status change from a tourist to a single permit or if I need to leave the country and then go back. But from what you said, it sounds like I can choose which to do. We do already have a lease signed, and that address was included on my single permit application.

I'm not sure about if what happens non eu visa exemptions cases.

But normally authority is asking to non eu citizens  valid enterence document. În most case it's c or d type of visa.

Once you applied for residence permit authority don't recommend you to leave country.

If I were you I would go with any type of visa, and after if  residence permit issue took so long, get an extension and wait for your Id card.

Another option is call ibz and ask most precious info.

As you are going to live in Antwerpen, write to Stad Antwerpen foreigner's desk. Usually they are responsive.

https://www.antwerpen.be/

Q:

You say your husband has a visa D as a student. Do you have a visa D as his dependent ? OR Are you planning to come here on visa waiver and then register as his partner ?

@Aneesh I plan on going on a visa waiver, and then registering once I receive my single permit. We unfortunately did not have the funds up front to pay my solvency into a blocked account at his school in order to do a family reunification visa. I do have enough for solvency for up to 90 days for a short stay, though. From the date of my single permit application, it's looking like I will receive it back just a couple weeks before my 90 days would be up.

As a starting point, I believe there wont be any issue in you both arriving here, settling down. For the change in status as an employed professional (after your SP approval), do write to Stad Antwerpen and get their guidance,

@Aneesh Thank you for your help! I've sent an info to Stad Antwerpen, so I'll see if they can provide some clarification. I reached out to IBZ a week ago and haven't heard anything from them yet either. I feel a bit better knowing I should be safe to at least go with my spouse for up to 90 days, so he won't need to be by himself.