Relocating to Germany

Good evening, I'm a middle aged American with 28 years working for a major bank before having to retire to a back and hip disability. I'm receiving Social Security benefits and can support myself. Would I have problems receiving a Visa from the German government to live in Germany? Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Brian

Good evening, I'm a middle aged American with 28 years working for a major bank before having to retire to a back and hip disability. I'm receiving Social Security benefits and can support myself. Would I have problems receiving a Visa from the German government to live in Germany? Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,
Brian
-@althoffbrian

Once one retires the major issue will be level of guaranteed income. So the question will be how high are your retirement benefits. Some countries really orientate themselves to attract retirees. Germany is not one of those countries. Traditionally people from countries like Germany tend to go south for warmer climates; not for foreigners to come to Germany. You will be too old to get a public health care option if over 55. Private health insurance will be based on level of coverage, age and known conditions; likely rather expensive. On a personal level, one can survive with English but to have a decent social life and manage everyday life, one really needs to know the basics of German. If one is not able or willing to learn the local language, I would not suggest they move here - or to any country for that matter.

I don't think there is a (long-term) visa type for non-EU self-financed retirees.

But you can visit for up to 90 days!