Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Passport renewal

Hi,Β 

Great to have somewhere to go and get some genuine help.

Thank you for the warm welcome msg.

Does anyone know anything about or used the

MyBritishPassport' online agency to renew their British passport while in Cyprus .?


They seem very proffessional, but just need to know whether it's an online scam?


Thanks

See also

It's easy you don't need anyone to do it for you .. honestly I did mine and my wife's recently and it's so easy...

1 member reacted to this post

is not a literal criminal scam, but a private third-party agency that charges extra fees to handle UK passport applications. They are not affiliated with the British government, and you can apply directly through the official GOV.UK Passport Service without paying their heavy service markup.


It is so simple, I did mine last year in December, from start to finish took about 10 working days.

2 members reacted to this post

This is a great help, thank you.

I was reluctant to pay the extra fees, and started to ask the question when I saw they were working out if South Africa.

Thanks again SimCityAT.

2 members reacted to this post

@Toon

Thanks @Toon

1 member reacted to this post

@evansclive

I would just use the official government website,Β  it is very simple, just in process of doing mine

1 member reacted to this post

@graham6

Just use the UK goverment web site, it is very easy

2 members reacted to this post

@graham6

So, the last time I renewed my passport was just underΒ  ten years ago, in the UK, is there any extra online forms, extra fees or any pitfalls now I am a resident in Cyprus,? And do i have to arrange my own delivery to Cyprus, Thanks.

1 member reacted to this post
@graham6
So, the last time I renewed my passport was just under ten years ago, in the UK, is there any extra online forms, extra fees or any pitfalls now I am a resident in Cyprus,? And do i have to arrange my own delivery to Cyprus, Thanks. - @evansclive

There are no extra application forms; you complete the standard digital overseas renewal form on GOV.UK.


Fees: The standard adult online fee is Β£102 (plus courier fees).Outbound Shipping: You must arrange and pay for sending your old physical passport to the UK yourself. Many Cyprus residents use DHL or Cyprus Post (noting that local post may require an online customs declaration form first).

Everything is found here> https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

1 member reacted to this post

@SimCityAT

Fantastic...thank you all so much, I've been worried about this for weeks and putting it off. Great response from all concerned. Regards.

2 members reacted to this post

I’m in the UK at the moment and have just renewed my passport. I have a UKW3 issued when I had my old passport.


I take it I have to let the Immigration Authority know my new passport number? If so do I need to make an appointment at Immigration or can it be done online? In the meantime I propose to travel with my old and new passport to avoid any problems. Has anybody done this?


Thanks in anticipation of any help.

I doubt that anyone has or will do that.. I have had three UK passports in the 12+ years here

1 member reacted to this post
I’m in the UK at the moment and have just renewed my passport. I have a UKW3 issued when I had my old passport.
I take it I have to let the Immigration Authority know my new passport number? If so do I need to make an appointment at Immigration or can it be done online? In the meantime I propose to travel with my old and new passport to avoid any problems. Has anybody done this?

Thanks in anticipation of any help. - @lee a kada


Yes, you must update your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account with your new passport details. You do not need an in-person appointment at an immigration office; the update is handled entirely online or via the official

smartphone app linked to your digital eVisa status.

1 member reacted to this post
I doubt that anyone has or will do that.. I have had three UK passports in the 12+ years here

They are cracking down on things now.

@Toon

I’m assuming reading all the posts here ref UK passports it’s fairly straightforward to re-new whilst living in Cyprus?

@karenselsea

Yes it's very simple from here in cyprus

@SimCityAT

Possibly they are trying..but this is Cyprus and nothing ever goes the way we expect it to.


Am simply saying it's not something I have ever done and never been asked to do and not had any issues .. but having said that.things and processes do change........ Regularly and eventually lol


I guess bottom line the advice is do.what you think is right for you to be happy


NB funnily enough we should and I guess are expected to do updates to addresses etcΒ  forΒ  residency documents and drivingΒ  licensesΒ  and car registrationΒ  documents. And lots of other docs too .If everyone did that one could guess what.would happen

@evansclive

Hi all, just sent my online passport application , surprised they didn't ask for a copy of my 'permanent residence document'?

Thank you all for your input.

1 member reacted to this post

If you're applying for a British passport, all they need is proof of your UK citizenship, e.g. a birth certificate or expired passport; they don't care where you're currently resident or even whether you have dual nationality.

2 members reacted to this post

@Peter Ty

Thank you...so it's just a British passport renewal with your Cyprus address instead of your British address?

@evansclive

Or should I say instead ofΒ  your old British address on the application .

1 member reacted to this post
@evansclive
Or should I say instead of your old British address on the application . - @evansclive

They just want the address where they will send your new passport to.

1 member reacted to this post

The primary difference comes down to right of abode, immigration status, and how the passport is acquired. While both are official travel documents issued by HM Passport Office, they grant drastically different legal rights.


Key Takeaways

Right to Live in the UK: A standard British Passport gives you unconditional residence. A BN(O) passport allows you to visit the UK visa-free for up to 6 months as a visitor, but it does not grant automatic permanent residence or employment rights.

The BN(O) Visa Route: Holders of a BN(O) passport can apply for the BN(O) Route Visa, which allows them and their dependents to live, work, and study in the UK. After 5 years on this visa, BN(O) holders can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and subsequently full British Citizenship.

Origin: BN(O) status was created specifically for residents of Hong Kong prior to the handover of sovereignty to China in 1997. If you do not already hold BN(O) status, you cannot apply to get it now.



Gemini chat gpt

Further reading