Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Oslob to Siquijor Ferry/Swimming With Whale Sharks

I have planned a trip to see my girlfriend in Cebu for November and now have most things booked. We intend to spend the first 3 nights in Cebu before travelling to Oslob for a 3 night stay, then on to Siquijor, back to Oslob by ferry and on to see friends in Moalboal before returning to Lapu Lapu.


I would like to know if anybody has used the ferry between Oslob and Siquijor and if tickets for the ferry can be purchased in person at the departure point within a day or 2 of travelling. I am also trying to find out if tickets can be purchased in person 1 or 2 days in advance for swimming with the Whale Sharks in Oslob.


I have messaged the resort we are staying in in Oslob and they will arranged our transfer from Cebu City to Oslob and said they can help with ferry bookings and booking the Whale Shark swimming experience when we arrive but I do not want to find out that the ferry is fully booked  a day or two before we are planning to travel. Same with the Whale Shark swimming experience.


Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you

See also

@Cherryann01


I would like to know if anybody has used the ferry between Oslob and Siquijor


CA I respect a guy who does his extensive homework before travel. To use the British scout motto 'Be prepared' .

Presumably you are aware of the appalling record these passenger ferry's have in the Philippines? Last month a ferry near Coron caught fire resulting in 76 deaths with people still missing many of whom were tourists.


If you decide to travel on a RoRo remember to take out a life insurance policy. I hear that poms are a favoured delicacy of the whale shark..

Maybe I will just do as Jack Sparrow did in in Pirates of the Caribbean - strap 2 sea turtles together using rope made from the hairs on my back and crossing that way.

2 members reacted to this post

@Cherryann01

On the tickets question, from what I could find (please check current details with the operators or your accommodation, because ferry schedules in the Philippines change often):


Whale shark watching at Tan-awan, Oslob: you register and pay at the site and get a short briefing before going out, so it does not normally need advance booking. The activity runs in the morning, roughly from early morning until late morning, and the common advice is to arrive early (around 6 am) before the crowds. Tours booked from Cebu City are the pre-booked option, but if you are staying in Oslob you can usually just turn up early.


Oslob to Siquijor: I could not find a regular direct service that is reliable year round, so check these options:

- Road to Liloan (Santander) port at the southern tip of Cebu, then the Liloan to Sibulan ferry (Negros), then a bus or van to Dumaguete, then a Dumaguete to Siquijor ferry. The Liloan to Sibulan boats run roughly hourly. The Dumaguete to Siquijor boats are less frequent, so time that leg first.

- Some sources list a Liloan to Larena (Siquijor) car ferry on certain days and a newer Oslob to Larena service. Treat those as "check before you plan around it", as I could not confirm current timetables.


Tickets: for the short Liloan to Sibulan hop people usually buy at the port on the day. For the Siquijor boats, buy a day or two ahead if you can (at the port ticket office or the operator's own page or Facebook page), especially around the All Saints holiday period at the start of November, when boats and buses fill up. Ask your guesthouse in Oslob to phone the operator for you, as they usually know the latest times.


Also leave a buffer day between the whale shark morning and the ferry trip, so a cancelled boat does not wreck your next booking.

Further reading