Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Question Traveled Expats

Soon I will be flying back to the states


(1) I will land in San Francisco and then catch a connecting flight to Tucson AZ


(2) No doubt my connecting flight will be in another terminal.


(3) Will I have to go through TSA screening? and pay the $45 fee? if so will they take a debit or credit card?


(4) Will TSA accept my Passport, my only form of ID? I don't think they will take my other  secondary ID's     (13A or Philippine Drivers License)


(5) They will accept expired driers license, no more than two years expired, mine expired beyond the two years.

See also

Hi, Bob


You will go through Immigration and all you will need is your passport.


You will need to collect any checked bags at Customs and take them to a nearby area to drop them off for your flight to Tucson.  Make sure when you check your bags in the Philippines that they are checked all the way through to Tucson and make sure you keep the baggage receipt that shows that.


I always find comfort in just following the crowd to these areas.


I think you do go through a TSA screening before you get to your departing gate in San Francisco but don't worry.  All they need is your passport and airline ticket and there is no fee. 


If I recall correctly from earlier posts, you will be traveling in a wheelchair.  I believe they have attendants that will help you through this entire process.  Just contact the airline in advance.


I wish you a safe trip and all the best in your next chapter in the States.


Peace,

Ed

3 members reacted to this post

@Cyclone Ed

Thanks Ed, Your reply is helpful. . . .  and reduces my anxiety.


Everyone knows the red tape built into the Philippine. Now the shipping company I was going to hire to ship my mothers oil paintings, which she painted, now needs an export permit from the National Museum.

@Enzyte Bob

I can partly understand your reason Bob for flying the 45th ranked airline in the world namely United as it takes you directly to Tuscon where your daughter resides.


I had suggested Starlux Airlines which like United has one stop albeit in Taipei as opposed to Frisco but flies to Phoenix which is about 1.5 hours car journey to Tucson.


United has a 3 hour layover in Frisco. The Starlux flight has a 7 hour layover in Taipei. Horses for courses as they say but from my experience its much better having the layover near the beginning of your journey when you are relatively fresh rather than jet lagged as you will be on the changeover at Frisco.


Taipei Taoyuan International ranks significantly higher than Frisco International. Beyond its top-tier baggage handling it ranks highly in several 2026 category metrics. Globally it is the 6th cleanest airport in the world. Changing aircraft (same terminal) is a dream.


SFO’s Terminal 3 (international) is currently undergoing construction. You will have to go through US immigration, customs and recheck baggage/security again (as Cyclone Ed helpfully points out) to get to the United connecting gate. That when you are suffering from 12 hour jet lag is not something you want to do often. Lets hope that your recently departed wife’s oil paintings remain intact.


Phoenix Sky harbour international is a far more pleasant experience and would welcome any of our American friends who have used both airports to give their observations.


Just checked next weeks flight listings on the London based Skyscanner website. Starlux is coming in at £200 ($266) cheaper than United for the respective routes above. Wonder why that is? Could it be that unlike British Airways & United it is not a ‘legacy’ carrier with all the attendant ‘unionised baggage’ that comes with it and an entitlement culture of take it or leave it?


Could it be that Starlux is the new kid on the block and wants to put the customer experience first? Could it be that Starlux now ranks 13 on the London based Skytrax international airline performance table? Answers on a postcard.


If I may abduct a word from Bigpearl: ‘Choices’

Lotus Eater said . . . .
I can partly understand your reason Bob for flying the 45th ranked airline in the world namely United as it takes you directly to Tuscon where your daughter resides.
I had suggested Starlux Airlines which like United has one stop albeit in Taipei as opposed to Frisco but flies to Phoenix which is about 1.5 hours car journey to Tucson.

United has a 3 hour layover in Frisco. The Starlux flight has a 7 hour layover in Taipei. Horses for courses as they say but from my experience its much better having the layover near the beginning of your journey when you are relatively fresh rather than jet lagged as you will be on the changeover at Frisco.

Taipei Taoyuan International ranks significantly higher than Frisco International. Beyond its top-tier baggage handling it ranks highly in several 2026 category metrics. Globally it is the 6th cleanest airport in the world. Changing aircraft (same terminal) is a dream.

SFO’s Terminal 3 (international) is currently undergoing construction. You will have to go through US immigration, customs and recheck baggage/security again (as Cyclone Ed helpfully points out) to get to the United connecting gate. That when you are suffering from 12 hour jet lag is not something you want to do often. Lets hope that your recently departed wife’s oil paintings remain intact.

Phoenix Sky harbour international is a far more pleasant experience and would welcome any of our American friends who have used both airports to give their observations.

Just checked next weeks flight listings on the London based Skyscanner website. Starlux is coming in at £200 ($266) cheaper than United for the respective routes above. Wonder why that is? Could it be that unlike British Airways & United it is not a ‘legacy’ carrier with all the attendant ‘unionised baggage’ that comes with it and an entitlement culture of take it or leave it?

Could it be that Starlux is the new kid on the block and wants to put the customer experience first? Could it be that Starlux now ranks 13 on the London based Skytrax international airline performance table? Answers on a postcard.

If I may abduct a word from Bigpearl: ‘Choices’

*********************************

Well Jim Rockford, I chose flying steerage with United for the following reasons


I had considered Starlux but I chose United even though it was more expensive.


(1) I prefer landing in Tucson because as you say Phoenix is 1 1/2 journey away, but that is 3 hours round trip for my daughter. 


(2) I rather have a 3 hour layover with United compared to 7 hours with Starlux,


(3) Considering Starlux's  7 hour layover plus 1 1/2 car ride the total hours of dead time is 8 1/2 hours compared to three hours with United.


(4) Tucson airport is only 20 minutes from my daughters house.


(5) I decided to bite the dust and pay the United fee for the extra bag (paintings). They allow 62 linear inches and with careful packing I can do it in 60 linear inches.


(6) United website says  $300 for third bag, S.I, says $200.  S.I. the new name suggest by Trump to replace A.I.


Sincerely yours,

Detective Colombo

@Enzyte Bob

SI = Suborned Intelligence ?

1 member reacted to this post

I thank you all for the help on my exiting and I have another question.


Will my stepson be able to accompany me to the B.I. office at NAIA terminal 3?

There is no need to go to the BI office at the airport if you have your departure clearance and return permit. He can take you as far as there is the check for the ticket. This is within the terminal but outside of the check in area. You should be there 3 hours before the flight. There might be a line for senior citizens. Line up there and get your boarding pass. In case they say you need to pay travel tax you need to go to one of the counters near the entrance of the terminal. Pay 1620 PHP and go straight back to the check in counter where you checked in. They will give you the boarding pass in exchange for the travel tax receipt. Then head for international departures. Tell the staff there that you have a 13a visa. They will direct you to the right counter. The officers at the passport control will ask you for the passport, the yellow ACR card and the receipt of the immig. clearance. Usually they will not ask anything. If they ask you when you will be back, you tell them a date within the year. The RP is valid for a year.

@Andy_1963

He can take you as far as there is the check for the ticket. This is within the terminal but outside of the check in area. You should be there 3 hours before the flight.


As I recall you cannot enter the terminal building unless you actually have a ticket which you show to the security staff in the line up outside the entrance at the drop off zone. The T3 drop off zone where Bob will be arriving is always crowded with long lines. This is why I use Runway Manila accessed behind the Belmont hotel. As you walk over the bridge the pandemonium is there for all to see. There is an elevator service there to take wheelchair passengers down to departures on level 3.


I checked AI and as long as you give United 72 hours advanced notice you go to the check in desk and ask for the wheelchair/meet and assist staff. They will take you through check-in, immigration, security, and finally the gate.


Bob for his own reasons chose United Airlines🙄 Starlux Airlines published policy explicitly  describes assistance with boarding and assistance for mobility impairment on the plane rather than just getting the passenger to the gate. Moreover all the stews are under 30. You really don’t know what you’re missing Bob wink.png

@Lotus Eater

In the past you were not able to enter the building. But this has changed. No more ticket checks and scanning at the terminal entrance.

1 member reacted to this post

@Andy_1963

I can confirm that. On my last visit Nov 25, I had a change of aircraft in Manila and went outside for a quick vape and was not checked going back inside and saw no que.

Further reading