Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

What are your favorite wellness and self-care rituals in Canggu?

Living in Canggu can get surprisingly intense between work, traffic, workouts, surfing and always having somewhere to go :) Curious what everyone here does when you need a proper reset or a bit of self-care?

Could be anything - yoga, sauna, massage, a particular class, a quiet place, a beauty ritual, or even something simple you do regularly.

Would love to collect some good recommendations around Canggu and Berawa beyond the usual restaurants and beach clubs. What are your favorites?

See also

@Dana Kaz


So you have been living in Bali for 7 years. Have you met up with any Ukranians yet?


Surf, Pilates ( making a comeback I hear with all the beautiful people in Canggu). God forbid you accidentally experience something that isn’t instagrammable. At least the tan along with the job is working overtime  smile.png

I used to surf at Canggu quite often back in the early 80's when there were no buildings, just rice fields and a few wooden shacks. It was paradise back then. Now it's full of posers from Eastern Europe and completely spoilt. Such a shame really...!

2 members reacted to this post

I'm a child of the sixties, a time were wellness was not falling off your bike too often, and not caring about all the blood from your skinned knee when you did.

Emotional health was telling the bloke who pissed you off to go $&^@ himself, and not giving a flying rat's arse about as much as possible.


I got a 7 stitch cut over my eye from a really well executed spinning reverse heel kick - I had a pint before walking to the hospital.

I fell off a horse, sans helmet, head first onto concrete, so I asked the local quack to sew up the bloody flaps of loose skin on my cranium quick as I had a load of work to get on with.

I had a hole in my leg almost down to the bone - I lost two hours of work because I has to go to the hospital,  but I arranged follow up visits for times that didn't mess up my work.

I fell off a chair that I had balanced on 4 tables (I didn't have a ladder). That saw a partial fracture to my left tibia. It swelled up like mad, but it didn't hurt much so I tried not to walk any distance for a couple of weeks.

I'm dragging my kid up the same way. If it hurts, ignore it - if you die, walk it off.


Wellness rubbish is great for wimps, and a great money maker for canny operators who separate the foolish from their cash.

2 members reacted to this post

@Fred

Hi,


Everyone is of course entitled to their own views on wellness and self-care. 😊


That said, let's keep the discussion friendly and respectful of members who may have a different approach.


The purpose of this thread is to share wellness and self-care routines, activities and recommendations in Canggu and Berawa, so let's try to keep the discussion focused on that.


Thanks,

Bhavna

Expat.com Team

2 members reacted to this post

@Dana Kaz


Living in Canggu can get surprisingly intense between work, traffic, workouts, surfing and always having somewhere to go


Yes life can be so intense. I wonder how our Ukranian friends manage..

1 member reacted to this post
@Dana Kaz
Living in Canggu can get surprisingly intense between work, traffic, workouts, surfing and always having somewhere to go

Yes life can be so intense. I wonder how our Ukranian friends manage.. - @Lotus Eater

Your first sentence appears to be the answer to wellness- Avoid an intense life and you don't need the rest. After all, yoga is an extra place to have to  rush to.


The second is slightly odd.

1 member reacted to this post
I used to surf at Canggu quite often back in the early 80's when there were no buildings, just rice fields and a few wooden shacks. It was paradise back then. Now it's full of posers from Eastern Europe and completely spoilt. Such a shame really...! - @wyngrove60

I gather, since the somewhat dodgy (and very setup) war started, a good number of Eastern Europeans have settled on the island. However, the south at least was already ruined by the rubbish end of tourists.

Bali, certainly in Kuta and similar areas, is a very stressful environment that is geared up to extract money from tourists. That might very well be more so for Ukrainian males as they are might very well be there illegally as Ukraine refuses to renew fighting age men's passports.

To Canggu, a place I have never been to and wouldn't bother with unless I was paid a stupidity large amount of money to be there.

Traffic and so on appears to be a lot lighter that Kuta suffers from, but the area is all set up to welcome the clueless,  or at least their cash.

What is being sold as paradise, has been ruined by the salesmen's success. Nightlight adverts and all the rest of the stuff aimed at tourists have created a stressful environment where the wellness industry can thrive,  when the real answer to wellness is to look beyond the advertising  and get out of the place.

Wellness has gone from a word used as an antonym to illness a few centuries ago, at a tiny money-grabbing industry in the 1990s, to a massive business that extracts billions of dollars from people today.

The clear answer to the OP' question is to get out of places designed to get your cash, and move to an actual paradise - Indonesia is full of them.

Sadly for the multi-billion dollar wellness industry, there are no wellness businesses in these areas because nobody needs them.

2 members reacted to this post

@Fred

The clear answer to the OP' question is to get out of places designed to get your cash, and move to an actual paradise - Indonesia is full of them.

I discovered Lombok many years ago, an island next door to Bali. A complete contrast. The locals as yet have not suffered from 'Bogan' overload or the criminal underworld where many in the OP's country come from.


Am looking forward to my stay in Senggigi next month. Give me a decent book and a comfy sunbed next to a pool and I'm as happy as a sandboy. 'Waiter another Gin & Tonic with a slice of lime please. Oh and heavy on the ice'

2 members reacted to this post
I discovered Lombok many years ago, an island next door to Bali. A complete contrast. The locals as yet have not suffered from 'Bogan' overload or the criminal underworld where many in the OP's country come from. - @Lotus Eater

Lombok is amazing, and I love it. It's what Bali was before people there needed wellness stuff in order to cope with the stress of living in paradise.

I'm more into simple routines than fancy wellness places.  Morning walks a decent massage once in a while and getting enough sleep make a big difference for me. Would definitely be interested to hear some local recommendations aroun Canggu and Berawa

I'm more into simple routines than fancy wellness places. Morning walks a decent massage once in a while and getting enough sleep make a big difference for me. Would definitely be interested to hear some local recommendations aroun Canggu and Berawa - @nuris0987

You just cracked the thread.

Welness is, in my most humble of opinions, down to your lifestyle.

If you have lots of stress in your daily life, spending cash rushing to wellness rubbish simply adds to the stress, so has the opposite effect.

My adult married daughter went to Bali on the way to Perth WA from Vancouver BC. 


It was a stop over. 


Upshot was, don't bother. It's overrun with dodgy types on the make.


It's off my "must do" list. 

Further reading