Importing Electric vehicles

Has anyone imported an electric vehicle?  We would like to get an idea of the cost of taxes.  The cost will depend on whether we ship or not.
Hello jochsenfeld59,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

Thank you for asking your question here.

Could you please tell us from which country exactly you would like to import electric vehicles?

The more details you provide us, the chances of getting an answer will be higher. 1f60a.svg

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
We own two Tesla model 3 which we would like to bring from San Diego California.  We're getting mixed cost of import taxes.  If too costly, we plan to sell one or both before moving next month to Quepos.

Hybrid or electric vehicles have ZERO import tax. However, if you have a full-blown gas or diesel engine, there is a spot of good news. When you first get your car into Costa Rica, you'll have up to three months to pay taxes and get the proper permits.

@MauroN from where? US or Canada? Where can we find the link for this info?

@jochsenfeld59 - Please keep this group informed (cost, time to transit, which ports you depart/arrive, etc).  I'm in AZ and curious also as we're discussing doing something similar in summer, 2023.  I know laws/requirements may change but it'll provide a good measuring stick for what to expect.

@lgoodwin  from any where. https://news.outlierlegal.com/2022/05/1 … used-cars/

Does anyone know the situation overall with EV charging stations in Costa Rica? How plentiful? How costly? Especially around Tilaran, Tronadora, Nuevo Arenal, La Fortuna and Cañas?

Also, what about home charging stations? Are they similar in cost to similar units in the U.S.? Is it best to import a home EV charging unit or buy it in Costa Rica?

Here is a link to a map of CR showing the charging stations here. There are a few around Uvita where I am and plenty in the San Jose area.  Hope this helps!

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=lf:1, … 957652;mv:[[10.215514778207265,-82.8040328345196],[9.021322154159625,-85.02601769780085],null,[9.618945749327553,-83.91502526616023],9]

Thank you for the information.

I also found a useful map of EV charging stations on the website called electromaps