ATV and UTV licensing, ownership and driving on roads

Hi,
I have been doing some research into bringing my ATV with me when I buy a house in CR. I understand you need a motorcycle license to legally operate an ATV on the roads in CR. Reading one review online you have to go to San Jose, get at least 20/25 on the written test and then pass a practical test, both in Spanish.

If I get my motorcycle license in Canada before I move it sounds like I just have my license "transferred" at the CR DMV. But if I only have a regular driver's license for cars that is all that the CR license will give me. Has anyone gone through this? What other options are there?

I believe you have to have the ATV inspected every year "RITEVE”, and have paid the vehicle road tax, “Marchamo” based on the vehicle's value.

Do you need a motorcycle license for a side by side (UTV)?
We were never required to use other than our driving license.
Yes, you must go to RTV and pay the Marchamo every year and your vehicle must be 'legal' meaning it must have windshield, lights, horn, etc.

Personally, I would advise not going long distances on the highway either on a ATV or UTV
just in case anyone is interested I was able to confirm you can drive an atv and side by side in Costa Rica with a regular driver's license. Here is a link to the govt. website.

You do not need a moto license for ATV. You do need current Marchamo and retrieve and you will have to get ATV there but you cannot drive it on highways. You can drive on paved roads but I don't recommend it, at least I don't feel comfortable doing it and I only do so to get gas or go shopping.

A new Honda ATV here will run you around 12-14k in red, more if you want a different color, used anywhere from 6k on up. Keep that in mind and check the cost of shipping yours to see if it's worth the price.

Definitely cheaper than owning a car but no fun during the 6 months of rain
Thanks for the reply. It was odd but I found several references online stating you need a motorcycle license to drive an ATV.
With the new laws allowing for 2 vehicles to be imported when you move to CR I will bring my 4Runner and ATV to save money. Vehicles are crazy expensive there. I definitely would not be using an ATV as a primary means of transportation.
Yes, cars are crazy expensive in CR if you buy from a dealer but if you buy from a local you can get a deal. You just need to have it checked out by a mechanic and make sure the Marchamo and retrieve are up to date. Encuentra 24 lists cars, housing etc…. And you can find almost anything on there. Where are you moving to?
We still need to do some exploring. Most likely north of Santa Teresa. Hermosa is my favourite beach. If we can build something north of ST or up in the hills above would be ideal. This winter we will spend more time down towards the Osa peninsula.

@Blackwatch anywhere near ST has gotten crazy expensive. Expect to pay close to 1,000,000 for land with a view there. OSA is a better bet money wise or if you like ST and don't need to be near the ocean go inland to San Yisidro or inland from Manzanillo to Betel… much better prices and only a few minutes drive to the beaches.

Yes, ST is way over priced. We love eating out though so being 10-20 minutes away from good restaurants and a great beach is important to us. ST has some pretty good places to eat and the beaches along that stretch were amazing. If we don't find something down towards Osa that is similar to the ST area we will have to look inland like you said around Betel.
@Blackwatch
I do not see anyone pointing out the fact that, yes, you can use your US or Canadian car license or motorcycle license in CR but only for 90 days after you enter the country.
After that, you need to get out to renew your 90 days visa and the cycle starts again.