Registering a Canadian vehicle driven to CR

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am planning to drive to CR all the way from Canada. I guess, the registration in Costa Rica should be different from when you ship it (I may be wrong here) since I drove it in. Any details on how to register my Canadian vehicle in Costa Rica in this situation (I'll be applying right away for pensionado temp residence) assuming I arrive alive?

Wow Dude that is a brave road trip
You are attempting you may want to read more on attempting that joy ride
I hear it's almost impossible for a gringo to make thru Mexico and if you have a nice chariot you odds are slim to none of making it alive
You may want to look into selling your whip in Canada and just purchasing in here

Good luck Fella

Henry.............Are you on the lam ? Its like,you gotta get out of Cana-putas,like now, to take those risk.

Mexico is a bit risky, but honestly only near the US borders do you need to be really careful. Once you're to San Luis Potosí area and further south it's pretty calm and safe.  I've recently driven pretty much the whole country including almost to the Guatemala and Belize borders.   

I'd be far more concerned with El Salvador and Honduras/Nicaragua than anything in Mexico. 

Generally you will be fine on México's toll roads even near the boarder but Monterey to Laredo/Matamoros/Reynosa lately has seen a dramatic uptick in abductions. 

If you are going to do this only drive in the daytime and have it all mapped out- where you are going to stay each night etc and leave enough room in your day for the expected traffic, construction, and just generally stupidity of drivers.  The Waze app and Google maps works well on mexico.

jcc2823 wrote:

Mexico is a bit risky, but honestly only near the US borders do you need to be really careful. Once you're to San Luis Potosí area and further south it's pretty calm and safe.  I've recently driven pretty much the whole country including almost to the Guatemala and Belize borders.   

I'd be far more concerned with El Salvador and Honduras/Nicaragua than anything in Mexico. 

Generally you will be fine on México's toll roads even near the boarder but Monterey to Laredo/Matamoros/Reynosa lately has seen a dramatic uptick in abductions. 

If you are going to do this only drive in the daytime and have it all mapped out- where you are going to stay each night etc and leave enough room in your day for the expected traffic, construction, and just generally stupidity of drivers.  The Waze app and Google maps works well on mexico.

Thank you. There are people who made it and still alive. With all this airline craziness in canada, this is my backup plan. Will sell my Ford Edge to buy something smaller and junky. I'll be driving with my dog. We all eventually die, it is just a matter of when, how and where. All advices help. I am interested in how to register my vehicle if I make it to CR.

JCC2823, Google shows directions all along the east side of Mexico, along the Golf of Mexico almost to Guatemala. San Luis Potosí  is located in the middle of the country. Why is this route better?

Here is a link to Importing a vehicle into Costa Rica,however you need to find out if the age of the vehicle is eligible for import. You are required to pay all duties and taxes within the 90 day window.

I drove with my son, 2 dogs and a cat in a RV from NV to CR.  My advice is to have lots of extra money for the bribes at the borders.  We had no problems.  We did get inspected at every border and a slight problem with the animals extra costs to bring into each country, but other than that, no problems at all.  Oh yeah, and don't travel with a gun.  I had a flare gun on hand in case of an emergency with bad people.  With it, a have both bear and flare ammo.  Again, no problems with the exception of bad digital maps which got us into some nasty roads along the way.

kohlerias wrote:

Here is a link to Importing a vehicle into Costa Rica,however you need to find out if the age of the vehicle is eligible for import. You are required to pay all duties and taxes within the 90 day window.

Thank you. I believe Costa Rica has finally approved the law relieving those who immigrate from duties and taxes. I need to clarify how it works for those who applies for the temp residence.

Ginger, so, a flare gun was not a problem at the borders?

It will take the government a while to sort out these new tax proposals, but you still need to confirm about the age of your vehicle. What year is it?

kohlerias wrote:

It will take the government a while to sort out these new tax proposals, but you still need to confirm about the age of your vehicle. What year is it?

I can't take my 2018 Ford Edge to CR, not practical, so I'll sell it and buy some midsize of small SUV in the 2012-2017 range. I've read the article. I have to confirm if this tax free importation law is now active. It's been in discussion for about 5 years.

OMG YOU ARE MAKING A BIG MISTAKE.
I HAVE OWNED A BNB for 30 yrs and could tell you some horror stories..some potential  guests were kidnapped in   Hondures after being robbed in many other of our DANGEROUS neighboring countries..THAT family trying to come t my bnb and others were never heard from again.....they did not heed our warnings....
I worry MORE about your poor dog whose  brain does not even have any idea what he is in for..not just the many bribes and kidnappings BUT OFTEN THEY WILL KILL YOUR DOGS TO SCARE YOU...
i suggest you FORGET THE EXPENSIVE DRIVE...and LIVE to tell the tale..obviosly Ginger was lucky..but as they say ""they cant get us all "
Whomever said Mexico is ok is living life through rose coloured glasses.
i used to go often to Mexico..now u could not pay me to go there  even for a short visit..
Am i the only one who has seen how the Mexican drug lords  hang headless corpses of tourists on freeway bridges to show what happens when families cannot come up with the exhoratant Ransome /
That planned trip will not only cost you more $$$$ it could cost yu your life..and your poor  dog i pity...THINK AGAIN...PLEASE...take it from someone who knows many who tried to make that trip..left everthing there that was stolen from them cars,campers etc....and all valuables and miraculously  managed to get here by the grace of God..don't try i i warn in sincereity..flying wiyh your dog with all vets injections clean health in the long run you will at least arrive safe..good luck i hopr you change yur mind,,many on this site we call 2 weekers who suddenly know everything...ask those of uswho really know the dangers even in parts of costa Eica...
pura vida can turn into a hell if you settle in a cheap desolate area....good luck god help your dog.... many here will think i am just a worry wart..but askthem how many people they know who have driven here without major problems..

Thank you Pebs. This is my backup plan, as hysteria with inoculations continue in canada. I definitely take into account your warning.

Tamaulipas is one of the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous state in Mexico.  It's generally best to avoid it though I did it once in daylight doing about 160 km/hr lol. The more inland and yes more far routes tend to be safer though as I was saying abductions have increased between Laredo and Monterey recently.  Though for you headed to Guatemala you'll want to be more on the pacific side eventually to cross anyway. 

Depends where you want to cross US/Mexico border really but generally people cross at Laredo, take toll roads to Monterey and on to San Luis Potosí. You could cross further west but I'd avoid Juarez for sure. Maybe in Arizona- I don't know those routes.  From there down to Mexico City and then depending on where you want to cross the Guatemala border, you can go the Mexico City to oaxaca route then on to Tuxtla Gutiérrez. Since I think the only real roads into Guatemala are leaning towards the pacific side, from Tuxtla you go to San Cristobal de las Casa's and on to Comitan. From there you cross towards huehuetenango. I guess you could run along the pacific after Tuxtla but I haven't been on those roads in mexico.  I've been past comitan to visit Montebello nature preserve. That's very close to Guatemala. I haven't crossed. 

You can also jump on some fb groups for expats in Mexico.  See what the current vibe is on which crossing. 

Good luck.

I do agree it's not worth it to take the trip but mexico isn't the worst problem by far.  I love here and have driven the country from top to bottom, east to west…. You've been watching a bit too much sensational news.  There aren't headless corpses hanging from bridges on a regular basis.  Lol

jcc2823 wrote:

Tamaulipas is one of the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous state in Mexico.  It's generally best to avoid it though I did it once in daylight doing about 160 km/hr lol. The more inland and yes more far routes tend to be safer though as I was saying abductions have increased between Laredo and Monterey recently.  Though for you headed to Guatemala you'll want to be more on the pacific side eventually to cross anyway. 

Depends where you want to cross US/Mexico border really but generally people cross at Laredo, take toll roads to Monterey and on to San Luis Potosí. You could cross further west but I'd avoid Juarez for sure. Maybe in Arizona- I don't know those routes.  From there down to Mexico City and then depending on where you want to cross the Guatemala border, you can go the Mexico City to oaxaca route then on to Tuxtla Gutiérrez. Since I think the only real roads into Guatemala are leaning towards the pacific side, from Tuxtla you go to San Cristobal de las Casa's and on to Comitan. From there you cross towards huehuetenango. I guess you could run along the pacific after Tuxtla but I haven't been on those roads in mexico.  I've been past comitan to visit Montebello nature preserve. That's very close to Guatemala. I haven't crossed. 

You can also jump on some fb groups for expats in Mexico.  See what the current vibe is on which crossing. 

Good luck.

Thank you! Than helps.

Henrych... It's scary being confronted with hysteria. Bad decisions are made when one is under duress. Stay calm and you will make the right decision.

Blessings to you and your pup.

BRAVE ? or STUPID  just kidding not wise is kinder...lol

/

Please, please keep us posted on your journey!  Stop a couple times and update with a blog or something for 2 reasons:  1)  What a blog!!!  2) Safety.

Best of luck!!!

THANK GOD  whew..hope you take plan B just make sure to get your dog to a vet and be sure to tell him/her you are leaving for Costa rica and need paperwork assuring your dog is in good health..rabies i don't know about here ..had no problem years ago but better ask..dogs vet i think will ork.. because usually it takes 6 months for rabies to surface...Thats why in my home country England has a 6months quarantine at the Airport for all animals entering ..reason..they have not seen a rabies case in mny many years.. i even wrote to he Queen who is a dog lover with 14 dogs..i did not expect an answer but God bless her she gave me some helpful hints...God bless our Queen a fellow dog lover ... she read my email because she said alas ypu live in Costa Rica where animals are not taken care of so full of
deceases rampant here... ..she is right i rescue them..or did when younger
i  have only 4 now and a cat on my 3 acre farmette...lol..
but i never had a problem bringing in my pets,   justa letter from my vet saying my pets had had their shots and were in good health.If things have changed contact Airlines they know if tey transport pets..or pay for a private pet relocater onn line google..good luck if you need a monthly fun suite let me know...pick my brain for freee great home base while you go explore other areas..leave luggage here safe..cheers good luck on plan b...pebs Debbie.
.i am rarely here fo messages so look up my profile for email..i will try and code it for you without the AT  sign
i will try to ms you but may not get yurs if time does not allow email better

https://www.costarica.com/travel/driving-to-costa-rica

time you googled crime in mexico...most is kept hidden for tourism..but yu stay in you bubble of dreamworld ..safer ..for a whil..oh an please take a trip driving through
Mexico..and if we dont hear from you we will just have to imagine haha
o

I drove from Ontario to Mexico last
Month.i was with my family.It took us 5 days to arrived in Mexico.
We had problems at the US Canada border and US Mexico border.If you will drive through USA, you need a custom declaration documents for you pass for US customs allow only essential travel during this convid 19.
If you need my help to avoid troubles you can contact me on WhatsApp  1 631-204-8089

Thank you. The times are uncertain. I'll definitely be in touch.