Car seat laws in Costa Rica

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica with my family.   My kids are ages 8 (45 pounds) & 10 (60 pounds).   Can they use a backless booster or do i need a full booster?

Thanks!

Hola Mottern,

As long as they are in a child car seat, strapped in, no one is going to say anything.  Unfortunately, child restraint laws are rarely if ever enforced here.

Common site, especially outside the cities:  3-4 people on motorcycles/no helmets, just the other day we saw a guy with a maybe 3 year old on the back of a motorcycle holding on for dear life with an adult helmet on - in Escazu.  Common to see small kids standing in the front and/or back seat of cars.  Sad to see.

- Expat Dave

Up to 5 years old in a child car seat, from 6 to 12 on a booster as far as I know.

I hope this article is helpful. The article gives guidance about what kind of car seat to use based on a child's height and weight. What is important vis a vis your question is that the article recommends that a backless booster only be used in a vehicle that has a head restraint. I would recommend, when you rent a car, that you make sure that the car you are going to get has a head restraint, even if you have to call the Costa Rica office of "Budget" or whatever and have the rep go out and check the specific car. If you are uncertain, bring full boosters (borrow from friend?). You can do it. By myself with three children, I flew from NY to Indiana with three booster seats. One of my petite slim daughters was still in her booster till age 16. Like Dave says, the CR drivers aren't the best. http://safeseats4kids.aaa.com/faqs/when … ster-seat/

Based on my experiences here, I'd say that best place is sitting on your lap so they can steer while you text.  :D

Buckle Up.

"Children aged between six and 12 years must travel with a booster, but the back rest is optional.

All devices must be suitable for the specific height and weight of the child being transported. Each car seat and booster specifically states the minimum and maximum height and weight safety requirements. This ensures for example, that a child's head does not go above the top of the device.

Some older children can exempt out of these guidelines based on their height, said Calderón. A child over 1.1 ms for example, even if he is 5, can use a booster without a backrest. And a child who is 11 years old, but is at least 1.5 ms tall, and the soles of his or her feet lay flat on the vehicle floor when seated no longer needs to use a safety device".