Moped Laws

Hi everyone...does anyone know if a moped (scooter) requires licensing in CR.

Thanks

The law here, now requires that you do have a license. Get one at home, if you don't already have one .
It will be valid though, for only 90 days or within the time stamped on your passport. If you don't have legal residency, you will have to exit the country to renew both your tourist visa and the license.

Thank you. I've been trying to calculate the overall cost of shipping my car but have found that it's pretty difficult to determine the overall cost. If I were to go with a moped, would you recommend buying one here in the States or purchasing one in CR?...Thanks

meliiv wrote:

Thank you. I've been trying to calculate the overall cost of shipping my car but have found that it's pretty difficult to determine the overall cost. If I were to go with a moped, would you recommend buying one here in the States or purchasing one in CR?...Thanks

Hola Meliiv,

I would say that depends on what you're looking for.  I had a 250cc Vespa in the States that I really wish I had brought with me to CR.  That I know of, there is no Vespa dealership here.  Needless to say, with Vespa you get what you pay for.  There are many used ones in Florida and that would be the least expensive State to ship from.

If you want an off-brand scooter, there are dealerships in every town in CR.  I would not recommend buying a used scooter here.  The vast majority are very cheaply built Chinese scooters that won't last long on the best of days.  At the same time, they don't cost much.

For shipping a car or moto, I still recommend Michael with shippingcr.com.  You get a set price in advance and it includes everything.  Michael's number is 011 506 7241-8772.

- Expat Dave

ExpatDave wrote:
meliiv wrote:

Hola Meliiv,

I would say that depends on what you're looking for.  I had a 250cc Vespa in the States that I really wish I had brought with me to CR.  That I know of, there is no Vespa dealership here.  Needless to say, with Vespa you get what you pay for.  There are many used ones in Florida and that would be the least expensive State to ship from.

If you want an off-brand scooter, there are dealerships in every town in CR.  I would not recommend buying a used scooter here.  The vast majority are very cheaply built Chinese scooters that won't last long on the best of days.  At the same time, they don't cost much.

For shipping a car or moto, I still recommend Michael with shippingcr.com.  You get a set price in advance and it includes everything.  Michael's number is 011 506 7241-8772.

- Expat Dave

Thanks Dave...I appreciate your knowledge about many facets of CR expatriation! It took two weeks for a response, but I finally got one from shipping.cr. He asked vehicle specifics (to which I responded with all relevant information). I also provided contents information for possibly shipping a 20ft. container. Awaiting responses now.

I looked on line at a 300cc IceBear manufactured in China...your opinion that this is most likely a piece of junk?

Thanks again...Martin

Michael is probably going to be slow on getting back to people for while.  He was in ICU for 6 weeks, lost 50 lbs. and is just now starting to get back to being among the living.  At the same time, he's the only shipper that I trust in CR.  I would recommend calling rather than emailing.

Very hard to say if that would be a good scooter or not.  China does make good scooters; however, you just never know if it's a good one or not.  Personally, I would not buy a scooter in CR.  If I did, I would only buy new.  I bought a Chinese built scooter before I bought my Vespa in the States.  Literally, it would run for a few weeks and then another problem would pop up.  Absolute junk.

Before I bought my BMW here, I bought a new UM 200cc moto. (UM is United Motors)  It was half the price of a Honda and I was very impressed with it.  Never had a problem with it in the three years that I owned it.  IF I was going to try an off-brand scooter, I would purchase a UM.  There are dealerships all over the country and part are available and cheap.  Again, I would not buy it used.  Cost here would be about $1,500 total, licensed and out the door.  If you want, I can run in to the dealership in San Ramon and find out how much they are if you're seriously interested.

After I wrote that last post, I looked at Vespa's on South Florida Craigslist.  You can get a very nice 250cc-300cc for a good price.  The cost is about $3,000 plus you would pay that again for taxes and fees upon arrival.  All depends on how much you want to spend.

- Expat Dave

I assume the Craigslist price is for used?

meliiv wrote:

I assume the Craigslist price is for used?

Yes

A new 300cc Vespa is about $7,000, base price new.  Yep, they are expensive - but they last forever.

Hello

Can someone please confirm whether you can drive any kind of moped with a valid car license?

Also whether you can drive a car with a valid license, or would I have to get an international license to drive in Costa Rica?

Thanks

Luke

You are allowed to drive a car with your foreign driver's license.  You are allowed to drive for 90 days from the last date of your entry into Costa Rica.  After 90 days you would have to leave and re-enter Costa Rica in order to be able to drive for another 90 days.

A somewhat related question...can you avoid paying the crazy high tax for importing a vehicle to CR by leaving the country every 90 days?

LukeGH wrote:

Hello

Can someone please confirm whether you can drive any kind of moped with a valid car license?

Also whether you can drive a car with a valid license, or would I have to get an international license to drive in Costa Rica?

Thanks

Luke

Hola Luke,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Car license is as noted above by TerrynViv.

No, you cannot operate a motorcycle legally here with only a driver's license.  A motorcycle license/endorsement from your home country/state is required to ride a moped or motorcycle here in CR.  The same 90 day rules will apply.

If you relocate to CR, you can obtain a motorcycle license here as long as your license from your home country shows that you have a motorcycle endorsement.  No tests are required.

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

Meliiv, if the vehicle is not registered to you in CR after paying duties etc., it can only stay in the country a max. of 90 days. However after that, although you must exit then, as does the vehicle you can return more or less immediately... the vehicle can't return for an extended period.