Import an Auto from US

I know this has been discussed prior, but over a year ago.
I want to purchase a used Rav4, or other 4WD Toyota, in the US and Import to Costa Rica for use at my home in Costa Rica.
I will be able to pick it up at a port or San Jose.
Looking for suggestions for shipper and experiences with Customs import taxes.
Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks,
lafdbuf

Read the information on this website regarding the importation of a vehicle.
Usually, the vehicle is transported to the import compound in Alajuela, where it must remain for a few days, at your expense, of course.

Thank you for the information.
Does anyone here know of a way to reduce these taxes?

It does not matter how much you paid for the car, Hacienda (IRS tico) has a table with vehicle prices and the corresponding tax.
http://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-lega … the-taxes/http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/AutoValor.aspxhttp://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-how- … osta-rica/
Transport costs varies but it usually goes from $700 (Miami). There are many companies you could get a quote from.  You can have it delivered to Limon or Punta Arenas.

I am planning to sell my 2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited Edition that I imported from the States.  If interested, you can contact me through this site.

- Expat Dave

Those are some outrageous tax rates. your better of finding something there in my opinion. i was also thinking of bring my car over, but with those rates, its half the cost of the car itself.. wow

I've decide to ship my vehicle from the US to CR, instead of looking locally. I've heard quite a bit out the quality of used vehicles for sale in Costa Rica, and I have a rockstar mechanic here in the States whom I know can address enough wear/risk issues before I leave to make sure that I will likely have 60-80k worry free miles after shipping.

I just bought a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport, 171k miles but one-owner and all service records since it was first purchased, for $1350. I'm planning on putting another $1200 in new tires and mechanical repairs (largely proactive). Here's the quote I'm working from as of right now:

Car Purchase                    $1,350.00
Repairs                              $1,200.00
Shipping                         $2,050.00
Duties/Tax                         $2,533.78
Fees/Registration/Inspection     $1,450.00

Total                              $8,583.78

So, for ~$8,500 I get a car that I can trust mechanically, that meets my family's needs, and is easy to get parts for in Costa Rica, picked up from my home and transported to close to the SJO airport. From what I've seen, I would be able to get a comparable vehicle for about the same price in CR, but it's likely to have a less documented pedigree and in need of mechanical attention.

It seems to me like a much better idea to ship in a known "good" car than to think I can buy a "good" one substantially cheaper when I arrive.

So, I hope that helps. As a qualifier, I will be in Costa Rica for the first time in about 72 hours, and I've only received a quote. So, take this with the grain of salt that it's all from someone who has never done it, just will be doing it soon!

As MauroN wrote 'It does not matter how much you paid for the car, Hacienda (IRS tico) has a table with vehicle prices and the corresponding tax' so they will check on the vehicles value on their Blue Book'.

Well then, looks like your on the right track. i guess i never thought about bring a 15 year old car. we tend to want to bring with us what we have. we forget that the whole idea about moving to CR is to live a less N.American lifestyle.

Yeah, we have a loaded mini-van and I've got a very nice luxury car. The duty on either would have been insane, and neither would be well suited for Costa Rica. I currently want something very comfortable because I commute an hour each way in traffic every day, and we have pretty regular 6-16 hour roadtrips with the family in the minivan.

Neither will be a part of our life in CR, and we're going down to one car, public transport/taxis, and we picked the Montero because it's comfortable enough, fits all of the kids, has good cargo space, and is practical where we're going. My hope is that what I'm giving up in creature comforts (do I really still need heated/cooled seats?), is offset by the fact that I'll be driving much less than my 30k miles/year I do now. I'm really looking forward to that tradeoff, and I'm hoping the lifestyle will mean more walking/public transport.

For now, we're keeping the minivan in the US to use when we visit, selling my car, which will pay all of the costs for the Montero, and saving $1000/month in car payments.

kohlerias wrote:

As MauroN wrote 'It does not matter how much you paid for the car, Hacienda (IRS tico) has a table with vehicle prices and the corresponding tax' so they will check on the vehicles value on their Blue Book'.

Right, it took me time to understand that there really is no negotiations, that it's black and white and you will pay what they say you will pay for the duty or the car won't be released.

The figure I listed for Duties/Tax, included a quoted "Registration Tax" of $88, and the duty. The duty is $2448.78, calculated as:

Import Value (set by the Ministerio de Hacienda): CRC1,857,250
Rate of Import duty (for a vehicle this age): 73.25%
Duty (CRC): 136,0436
Duty (USD): 2,448.78

73% haha outrageous.. thats crazy

sleeperwagon wrote:

73% haha outrageous.. thats crazy

Yeah, I guess I'm not one to comment/judge on their tax/duty choices. Every country makes their own choices and this is theirs. They apparently see that people that import cars privately can afford to pay for it, and they apply duties at a higher rate for older cars than newer cars. Not sure what went into the setting of the rate, but it's what they do.

I can avoid the duty if I want, and it's part of living in the country, so I guess I don't see it as either a good or bad thing...it just is what it is :)