Blacklist Vietnam

Hey all, I see there's a few posts about blacklist but wonder if anyone can give me some advice on my situation.

I worked in Vietnam previously for a few years. I left my previous employer under not the best of terms. I left about a month before my contract end without leaving notice . I had my reasons. They claimed I owed them a bunch of money and sent me pretty threatening letters about being 'blacklisted'.i ignored all. This was about 2.5 years ago. This included owing tax which was complete b***sh*t as it was deducted at source and I was a valid tax resident.

I know generally the whole blacklist thing is a scam for sleazy agents to make money out of foreigners. I want to return as a tourist and concerned I will get stopped at immigration because of this somehow.

Is this possible? I'm not applying for any visa or looking to work. Just simple entering under visa exemption as a tourist and leaving again in a short space of time.

My previous company is a large employer. But I always worked legally here and followed correct procedures always. I never overstayed or broke any visa laws.

Could they deny me entry for this or request that I pay some sort of fine?

Or is this a completely different civil matter from immigration?

Can they stop you from leaving the country if there's some sort of dispute with a former employer?

Regardless of the answer I'm still coming and will take my chances 🤣🤣 but appreciate any peace of mind!

Thanks for any advice 👍

John

You didn't break any immigration laws so you shouldn't worry too much. Do you have anything to show that you paid the tax, that may be the only thing to worry about. Companies can't legally have you blacklisted, you have to break the law in some way for that to happen. Ceasing your contract early doesn't really apply here. You could contact an agent that will check it for you.

Yeah I still have my original contract and all my official payslips. I was going to bring all of that as a precaution.

I didn't want to contact an agent as I was concerned I would be giving someone an opportunity to scam me .

Thanks

junkbox1987 wrote:

Yeah I still have my original contract and all my official payslips. I was going to bring all of that as a precaution.

I didn't want to contact an agent as I was concerned I would be giving someone an opportunity to scam me .

Thanks

When you apply for a visa a red flag will come up and you wont be issued a visa. Companies cant have you blacklisted unless you break the law.

Ah ok understood.

I'd confidently say I haven't broke any laws.

I have definitely upset my previous employer though 🤣

I wasn't going to apply for a visa. I was just going to use the visa exemption.

Wasn't sure if anything may show once my passport was scanned in the airport.

junkbox1987 wrote:

Ah ok understood.

I'd confidently say I haven't broke any laws.

I have definitely upset my previous employer though 🤣

I wasn't going to apply for a visa. I was just going to use the visa exemption.

Wasn't sure if anything may show once my passport was scanned in the airport.

Much cheaper to apply for a visa than pay for a flight.

Yeah good point.

So if I apply for an evisa/visa on arrival and it comes through then there's nothing to worry about?

And if it gets rejected them I'm on some sort of blacklist?

junkbox1987 wrote:

Yeah good point.

So if I apply for an evisa/visa on arrival and it comes through then there's nothing to worry about?

I doubt very much you are on a blacklist.

junkbox1987 wrote:

Yeah good point.

If you are really concerned about blacklisting why not pick up a visa from the Embassy in Paris?   When you do so, don't even mention the word "blacklist."   The worst case if they deny you is you are out time and trouble.  If you have a visa glued into your passport, issued by the government, you won't be turned around at the airport in Vietnam.   A visa on arrival is set up by a third party company and does not guarantee that a visa will be issued.   It could mean getting back on the same plane back to France.

Yeah I thought about that, but it's a long journey for me.

Thanks for the info I never knew that. I don't like to apply for anything through an agent. Very difficult to trust them.

So evisas are also only applied through third parties?

I am probably not on any blacklist and will be absolutely fine.

junkbox1987 wrote:

Yeah I thought about that, but it's a long journey for me.

From your home to Paris can't be nearly as long as a round trip to Saigon and back.  The key difference is that the Embassy gives out a government document.   Visa on arrival gives you a letter that you present at the airport in Vietnam in order to (hopefully) receive a visa.

I checked and was surprised that Vietnam has no consulates in France beyond the Embassy in Paris.  You may have already read this but here is the Embassy visa page in French.   It details how to apply by mail.  You can apply for a loose visa if you are reluctant to mail your passport.   Personally, I like my visas firmly glued to my passport page so that no petty border guard can take them away.

Yeah I meant to Paris. But yeah, you make a good point no way near as far as Vietnam ha!

Appreciate the advice and the research on that.

I will apply through mail, seems easy enough

@THIGV I was recently issued a visa exemption. I was a previous overstayer but paid fines when I was there. Do you think it is possible that I have been issued an exemption, but could still possibly be on this list?

A good question for this thread if anyone can offer their thoughts. I was

@THIGV I was recently issued a visa exemption. I was a previous overstayer but paid fines when I was there. Do you think it is possible that I have been issued an exemption, but could still possibly be on this list? -@EL Capitaan
A good question for this thread if anyone can offer their thoughts. I was
-@EL Capitaan

It doesn't sound like a question at all.

It sounds as if you are sharing an anecdotal experience.

You have a valid VEC, but you are also on the blacklist?

That's the way I read your slightly cryptic posts.

O.B.

Vietnam Forum advisor

expat.com team

@THIGV I was recently issued a visa exemption. I was a previous overstayer but paid fines when I was there. Do you think it is possible that I have been issued an exemption, but could still possibly be on this list?
-@EL Capitaan

May I ask why you opted for the 15 day exemption, rather than a 30 day eVisa? Had you applied for the 30 day but were rejected/received no answer?

This is from another member who arrived on a 15 day Visa exemption, after having paid for yet not received an eVisa approval.

@junkbox1987 Lawyer up!

Just a reminder to all about the sometimes (often?) confusing acronyms/nomenclatures used by VN Immigration.

A 15 day Vietnam Visa Exemption (also known as Vietnam Visa Waiver, or Vietnam Visa Free) should not be confused with a Visa Exemption Certificate (VEC).