Driving to Bulgaria

Hi Everyone one
Looking for advice.. Thinking of driving over later in the year from UK..Trying to find out what new document s are required since Brexit.. Conflicting info on net or out of date...also best route to take to Yambol area..fuel cost etc...
Thanks

Hi Newlife..its a piece of cake mate..although i have been a trucker for over 50 years, and drove the middle east routes..lol..been retired a few years now, and have a place in Pomorie, a bulgarian wife, and we drive over almost every year..this year too, i ordered a new car which wont be delivered until end of june, so thats when we will travel..apart from proof of Vaccinations and boosters..most of europe will accept the NHS app
Log book..insurance, passport with at least 6 months left on it..need road tax for Austria..Hungary..Romania and Bulgaria buy it on each border..or some sell it for the next country as well..for eg..Austria will sell for Hungary..Hungary will sell for Romania, my route is normally..France..Belgium..Germany..Austria..Hungary..Romania, and Bulgaria via the new Calafat bridge at Vidin..its mostly motorway now except across Romabnia, and a Motorway from Sofia to Bourgas..depends where you live....got nicked 2 yrs ago cos i forgot to put headlights on..brilliant sunshine too..cost me 60 lev..back hander..us a satnav for first time,..i know the route as travelled it many times in my truck and my car..keep an eye on restrictions, and entries into various countries..i had a quick look and all seems good to go..but i have a long term residents permit..so makes a difference for transit..good luck..give me a shout  on my email if you need more info. [link moderated] ( bobby )

Thanks for the info bud... will give you a shout on Ur link👍

The @wtruckyboy route sounds about right, although he might have forgotten about the Netherlands (even if it's only for a few clicks). :-) But, lordy, that Hungary-Romania-Bulgaria (and N-S inside Bulgaria instead of W-E) last stretch is a pain in the proverbial. So, personally, I am still a fan of Hungary-Serbia-Bulgaria (and painless A1), even with the non-EU border queue. But if your car/van is full of stuff (and/or peak summer holidays), then maybe EU-all-the-way is the winner.

Hi just read your reply about driving to bulgaria I'm wondering if you can give me a little advice I'm looking travel in my car with 2 dogs in tow from Cardiff UK to bulgaria I. I've not had any vaccinations covid my choice am I still OK to travel also what would u I need
Thanks tracy

Hi mate i have always avoided serbia
1. Needed a green card
2. Police would always find an excuse to fine you.
Always felt safer in Rumo, Bulgaria.
And loved the scenery.

Not sure about travel arrangements atm
But up to this year..could only enter with documented evidence of vaccinations
Plus i am a resident..have a card and was the only reason to be allowed in 2 yrs ago.
Last year i flew.because of tests..wouldnt have been able to get out of germany in the time restrictions.
Of course you will need travel documents for the dogs..but doubt you will be allowed to travel without being vaccinated and boosted..double check before going..good luck.

Thank you for that information its much appreciated

Vaccinations are not required to enter Bulgaria.

It's worth signing up for the updates from the .gov page and also use the app re-open EU to check up to date travel requirements. It changes more often than I change my socks!

I have up to date vaccination certificate and last time I travelled (Feb) I did a PCR because I wasn't staying in BG long enough to quarantine, I also have residency. All these things will affect what's needed although restrictions are easing all the time.

Always have your log book, I also carried a copy of my insurance and the green card, which has since become obsolete in EU. And don't forget hi-vis, extinguisher, bulbs and fuses.

Fuel cost is anyone's guess at this point, and depends on your vehicle, how much you've put in it and how you drive. You know the distance and you should have an idea of your vehicle's MPG. I personally keep to 2500 rpm which in my van means about 70mph and in the car more like 75-80.

Don't forget to factor in the vignettes for Austria, Hungary, Romania and BG as well as your channel crossing of choice.

I've never been via Serbia as I've been in my van, but the guy taking our pets over next month uses that route, better roads for sure. The change from Hungary's motorway to Romania's single carriageway was a rude one! Last trip over I crossed into Romania at night so traffic wasn't such an issue, and I crossed borders then into BG early the next (Sunday) morning so queues were minimal.

Maybe i was wrong then..but without them  its quarantine..always felt safer being vaccinated..and now awaiting 2nd booster..cant be too careful..especially with running rampant across europe.

For everyone's reference, these two official websites are very helpful… so yes, one is not required to be vaccinated to enter Bulgaria 🇧🇬

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … quirementshttps://www.mfa.bg/en/customnews/main/24737

It seems people from the uk can enter bulgaria without having being vaccinated..but must take a PCR test prior to travel but 48 hrs before arrival.

Hi.as an added bonus..just read it is possible to enter bulgaria without vaccination..however..if driving..the length of the test will have run out before you get there ( 72 hrs ) so will be worthless..and you will need to take another test if driving to enter..this could involve a quarantine period.
Much easier to travel throughout europe if vaccinated..can travel without restrictions atm..by carrying a paper version of proofs..or the NHS app.
Good luck with that.

I just read that unvaccinated are not allowed into Germany..but must have completed a PCR test 48 hrs beforehand
And theres the issue..its very difficult to get a test in the uk..and get in and out of germany in that time..maybe with 2 drivers..driving day and night.
But theres other countries en route to check the status of..heres my route.
Ferry..uk to dunkirk..lille..dortmund
Frankfurt..munich..vienna. budapest.szeged  romania..calafat vidin
Sofia..burgas...check each country for entry or transit requirements.
France..Germany..Austria..Hungary..
Romania..Bulgaria. good luck..safe journey.

You can transit Germany and indeed any country without PCR or being vaccinated. The rules you've read relate to travelling to Germany not transiting through.

I made it to BG border inside of 72 hours last time I drove.

@jeffreystracy Hi mate..recently read that all restrictions have now been lifted to enter BG..check on other countries before you go..sad news for me, as my car has been delayed until the end of August..so will fly over again this year..and the dealer can look after it whilst i`m away..  i will make a late booking though , in case things change.

Happy Holidays folks.
Hi hope all is well I plan doing the same trip in August this year in a 7.5 ton lorry from uk-Calais do I need any documentation for carrying own property through customs nothing I have is expensive so not going over the threshold for declarations or is it a case of packing lists
@gwynj
Hi bud..never forgot holland  cos i never touch holland..always used dover dunkirk..lille..charleroi..namur
Frankfurt..wiesbaden..nuremburg
Regensburg..linz..st polten..wien
Gyor..budapest.kecskemet szeged
Arad.timisoara.resista.drobeta.
severin
Vidin montana..vratsa..lovech.yambol..
burgas..then left to pomorie..home sweet home..
Flying to sofia on the 1st..then a bus to pomorie.
@donners08
Just an itinerary of whats on board mate.
Thanks for your quick reply I hate to get there and be screwed for not having paperwork fuels going to cost me enough

@wtruckyboy piece of cake? sounds like a nightmare

@donners08

Here's a link for a mover, and they have info on documents required for "transfer of residence" so you can move your personal effects without being required to officially import them, and pay duty and VAT.

vanone.co.uk/removals-to-bulgaria
@johncaruthers
Not as frightful as you think..go steady  dont speed..font forget to put headlights on.
I mostly use hotels motels on the main route...tried going into towns looking..but drove roynd n round and back out..lol

Travelling from Calais to Bulgaria in Motorhome- anyone know of suitable overnight sites where we can plug into electric

Travelling from Calais to Bulgaria in Motorhome- anyone know of suitable overnight sites where we can plug into electric
-@honiley47

Have a look at  this site https://www.viamichelin.com

Has anyone taken a EU registered vehicle into Bulgaria .. thinking of taking a Portuguese reg  car from UK ... Wondering if there would be problems at border

@mckayphil

you will be asked to show your passport and the vehicle registration document at the border, as long as you have those it's fine, there are vehicles from all over Europe going through the borders.

Has anyone taken a EU registered vehicle into Bulgaria .. thinking of taking a Portuguese reg car from UK ... Wondering if there would be problems at border
-@mckayphil

Not sure why you think there would be a problem. People are always going on holiday without trouble.

@mckayphil

Car docs: registration/ownership, inspection (MOT), insurance (plus Green Card, if required, depends on the country), road tax, vignette (if required, depends on the country). It would be a very picky cop (or border officer) who asked for all of them, but always safer to have them, and not need them, than vice versa. :-)