Can foreigners own a motorbike

Here in Yogyakarta I went to a Yamaha dealership and looked at a few bikes.  The salesman, who really isn't a salesman, only answered questions I asked and never took the initiative to try to sell me a bike hahaha.  Later he told me I would have to purchase the bike in an Indonesian name because foreigners are not allowed to buy motorbikes in their name.  He even offered his name if I bought the motorbike. 
Is this true in all of Indonesia or just in Yogyakarta ?  I have never heard of this before until today.  I will not buy a motorbike in another persons name that means they own it and I would need their permission to sell it or whatever.

Yeah I have not tried a different dealer yet. I will today.

Digitarius wrote:

Here in Yogyakarta I went to a Yamaha dealership and looked at a few bikes.  The salesman, who really isn't a salesman, only answered questions I asked and never took the initiative to try to sell me a bike hahaha.  Later he told me I would have to purchase the bike in an Indonesian name because foreigners are not allowed to buy motorbikes in their name.  He even offered his name if I bought the motorbike. 
Is this true in all of Indonesia or just in Yogyakarta ?  I have never heard of this before until today.  I will not buy a motorbike in another persons name that means they own it and I would need their permission to sell it or whatever.

U did right, thats a scam.
To buy a motorbike a foreign need a Visa (excluded tourist Visa).