Registration Brussels 1000 Commune

Hello there! 

I have begun the process of registration at the Brussels Commune (1000) and have a doubt about the process.  I had my initial appointment and my police visit recently, but I had read on the website that you do not need a rental contract to register in the Commune, only a work contract.  However, the policeman who came asked me for my rental contract and, as I am staying with friends at the moment, I did not have a document to present.  He seemed confused and told me his colleague would be in touch to clear this up.

My question is, has anyone had a similar experience?  I made sure to ask if I would need a rental contract before beginning of the registration process and they said I did not, but I do not want to run into any issues with my registration because of this. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Be logic, where are you gonna live permanently ? In your friend's house or in your own house ?

The police needs that information for your registration.

Thanks for your reply!  I am only in Brussels for a limited amount of time as my work contract is 6 months, so I will be living at my current address for the full duration of my stay!

It's not at me that you must say that. But at the police...