Moving to France this summer

My husband and I are American and will be moving to France this summer with our children for approximately a 3 year stay. My husband is being transferred with his French company for his job. I work for a very small American company and I would love to keep doing my same job remotely while in France - does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this? I have read about maybe registering as auto-entrepreneur?

Also, what is the news on covid-19 right now? I think with the support of my husband's company we will be able to enter France this summer (and we will be vaccinated before we come), but I don't really know.

Thank you!

Hi, right now the covid situation is very  .... unsure .... but something tells me that (for economical reasons) travelling will become more easy towards summer.

I am a Belgian, living in France, retired and getting my money from Belgium. But I did put myself in order with the taxes and of course declare a zero income. This brings me some French advantages and that's all. In your case I wonder if you should declare anything as you will not have any income from France itself ... best thing to do is to contact the tax bureau of the district where you plan to live ...

Good luck

Marcel

Bonjour,
Micro entrepneur Metiers Chambres de Commerce, apply online with your idea and business plan with papers.

Tous papiers France x Good luck

I live in Provence Mont Ventoux and its very beautiful.

France has everything and I am looking forward to travelling and site seeing here.

regards Louise

also ... as every connection between two countries has different agreements, I think it might be good to inform yourself in the local French consulate

Hi Elizabeth,

We are Carlos and Alejandra. We will be moving to Agde in south France from Orlando Florida USA. We are moving with our two boys (one is 5 years old, the other is 10 months old). My wife will be going to school, I will keep my job from the US. I read your post and I thought it would be helpful to contact you and learn how was your experience. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Carlos.

Hi Carlos! We are not there yet - we will hopefully arrive in Paris on 6/24. Happy to keep in touch and see how things go for both of us. It seems that is very expensive for a US employer to register as a french employer so I'm not sure yet what I will do exactly.

We spent a weekend near Bouzigues, which is not that far from Agde, when our son was 1 yo (now he's 5 and our daughter is 2.5). It is a very nice area!

Hi,

Since you are US citizens, you will need to file with the IRS and if you file jointly and declare your “tax residence” in France (I believe it is related to the # of days residing in one country vs another), you will have to file French income tax reports as well.

The good news is that the 2 countries have a “no double taxation” agreement so basically whatever taxes you pay in one country counts as credit towards taxes in the other.  Where things get complicated is fiscal residence and types of income.

Basically, I'd recommend getting in touch with an accountant familiar with these types of situations.  Side note: ensure your visa status is covered, I don't know about France but the US doesn't have an “auto-entrepreneur” lightweight status, only E2 which is more involved.

What I'm saying is: double check that your husband's visa either gives you authorization to work or that working for a US company from France is legal.  Things like these get sticky quickly and since you'll have to file taxes in both countries, there will be a paper trail.

In other words: I'd talk to a) a lawyer b) a tax accountant

Good luck!

PS: There are also implications on the tax side (social security etc.) for your employer on the US side if you are “legally” residing abroad