Rejection of family reunficiation

Hi. I (non-EU citizen) am living in Belgium for 4 years based on a work-permit and thus I have a temporary residence card. My partner is a non-EU citizen as well who has joined me in Belgium.

We had applied for the legal cohabitation which got approved. Then we applied for the Family Reunification at the commune, which was rejected in less than 15 days with the reason.

Vu que la présente décision a tenu compte de l'article 8 de Convention Européenne de Sauvegarde des Droits de l'Homme et des Libertés Fondamentales qui impose une mise en équilibre des éléments invoqués par la personne concernée au titre de sa vie privée et familiale et la sauvegarde de l'intérêt général ; En effet, La présence de Mr<my-name> sur le territoire belge ne donne pas automatiquement droit au séjour. En outre, la séparation avec ce dernier ne sera que temporaire, le temps pour la personne concernée d'obtenir les autorisations nécessaires à son séjour en Belgique.

Has anyone been in a similar situation such as ours? Any ideas on what should we do? I was not aware that I need to have a permanent residence in Belgium before I can apply because of the existence of Article 10 bis  https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/FR/Guid … _1980.aspx

Hello KaiserWilhelmII,

Actually, if you click on the link of the description in the Article 10 Bis, you see that you require permanent residence permit in order to be able to apply for a family reunion (see extract below):
'Le conjoint d'un ressortissant de pays tiers qui séjourne de manière illimitée en Belgique (carte B, C, D, F ou F+)'.

Normally, if the family reunification permit has been rejected, you can always try to apply (at least) one more time (for specifics, ask your commune). Your partner normally can stay until the end of the tourist visa.
In order to improve your chances, fill in very precisely the paperwork, classify everything neatly.

In last resort, you could get the help of an Immigration lawyer. I am not sure the outcome will be positive, due to the particularities of your case, but that's a possible solution.

Anyway, best of luck with this! Do feel free to post a follow-up comment in a few weeks/months (it could help others).

Cheers!

following