Belgian nationality

Hi, I had a stroke 8 years ago whilst living in Etterbeek, and was treated in st luke.
After I can out of surgery, I discovered that I had lost the ability to speak French. I asked the doctors about this and they said itvwas common for the brain that I had lost.
How do I go about applying for citizenship here?
I have lived here for 10 years now.
Thanks.

Hi!

Here are the requirements for the "10 years" option to get the nationality.

18 years old+
Your certificate of birth
You must have a permanent resident card (B, C, D, E, E+, F, F+, annexe 8, annexe 8bis,
You must have lived in Belgium for the last 10 years (of legal stay) without any interrupt.
History of residentship certificate to be fetch at your commune.
Pay the fee of +/-150€ (you'll need to print a proof of payment from your bank / online bank)
Proof that you've at least an A2 level in FR/NL/DE
Prove your economic and / or socio-cultural participation in Belgium
You write a cover letter to explain your case and your attachments to Belgium (you can also add signed letters from the (belgian/eu) neighborhoods (signature legalized is way better), (belgian/eu) friends, sport club, ... + any proof of what you're stating, payslips, work contracts, ...). Add as much proof as possible to proof your integration.

So, in your case, unless you're retired or officially declared "disabled" by doctors, you'll need to learn it again and pass an examination to get the A2 or above.
Tips: showing a B1, B2 or C1 certificate is way better to proof your integration.

Also add medical papers from the doctors that you did lost the ability to speak French, and you decided to learn it again. That's a good added value to your file.

Good luck!

Use the 5 year stay if you are continuosly working for 5 years supported by recent (12 consecutive months of pay statement). That way, you don't need any language certificate. Birth certificate  translated by a court authorized translator. When you submit them at the city hall, you will be given a ticked checklist or if your paperworks are in order, you will be asked to pay €150 online then they will post you your receipt to be sent back to the commune/gemeente. Hope this helps. 😊

@glendsky

After you submit receipt of 150 euro payment at the commune, did you have to sign pledge/oath ? I heard about it somewhere but can't find official confirmation/document/links anywhere.
Hi,

Typical steps at Commune in Brussels

01. Submit all documents at commune
02. Commune checks all documents
03. Commune calls back to pay 150 euros online.
04. Submit the receipt of 150 euros at commune. Pay 50 euros at commune. Sign pledge/oath. Commune gives “Receipt - Confirmation of admissibility of the file”.

The steps may be a bit different.
In my experience. Flanders

01. Verify all documents at the commune
02. If all is Okay, they ask to pay the court fee either by email or via Myfin
03. Submit all documents at the commune with proof of 150 euros with a self-signed pledge/oath.
There is no letter provided by the commune for “Receipt - Confirmation of admissibility of the file”

hVdPDK7

@Kdeepak hi, did the police come to your house? If so, how long after submitting documents at commune?

@Lizliz55

They come usually after 3-4 weeks.

At some communes, they take 1 month to forward it to prosecutors office. If so, those communes notify you by mail that they have forwarded your file to prosecutors office. In this case, you have to count 3-4 weeks from the day you receive the post.

@Lizliz55 yes police indeed visited i think within 1-2 months.

@Kdeepak

What if the police visit and didn't meet you at home but ask your wife to sign on your behalf telling her that your file has already been sent to Brussel and telling her to let your know that you will get a decision within four months

Do i need to still see the police since he already told my wife everything is ok even in my absence. Pls your reply will be appreciated

@Kdeepak

What if the police visit and didn't meet you at home but ask your wife to sign on your behalf telling her that your file has already been sent to Brussel and telling her to let your know that you will get a decision within four months.Do i need to still see the police since he already told my wife everything is ok even in my absence. Pls your reply will be appreciated

@expat2021

@Kdeepak

What if the police visit and didn't meet you at home but ask your wife to sign on your behalf telling her that your file has already been sent to Brussel and telling her to let your know that you will get a decision within four months

Do i need to still see the police since he already told my wife everything is ok even in my absence. Pls your reply will be appreciated

@Lizliz55

@AlexFromBelgium

@Kdeepak

@Bastion-Bloke contact the Belgian government in English. You can send them an email, they will reply normally.

@AlexFromBelgium

Hi,

could you please clarify this:

“You write a cover letter to explain your case and your attachments to Belgium (you can also add signed letters from the (belgian/eu) neighborhoods (signature legalized is way better), (belgian/eu) friends, sport club, ... + any proof of what you're stating, payslips, work contracts, ...). Add as much proof as possible to proof your integration.”

I have been living in Belgium for the past 10 years.Can you give me more info for the “cover letter” Should I write it before applying or i do it in the commune?

Thanks

@glendsky is this rule still valid or not like my husband have F card n he work here almost 5 years but due to work he is not able to do language course is he still have to get the certificate or he can apply citizenship on work year bases

@zarminaibrar If he worked for 5 years without interruption, he can apply for nationality without language certificate.

@zarminaibrar A proof of working for 5 years automatically means socio-economic participation and therefore, the language certificate is no longer necessary although recommended to support the application.

@ABS25  yes he worked here for almost 5 years with the same person. Is this effects if he change the work like he work with different person and he now work with same person for mostly 5 years and he declared in 2019 with the ssame work he is currently

@ARMaliq actually he isn't been able to do so because he can't get permission to get 3 months leaves for the work and all these leaves are unpaid so its much difficult for him to leave work and get certificate if its possible to apply for nationality without certificate than this should be great for him

@zarminaibrar For nationality, what matters is the tax returns for five years and the fact that he worked for 468 days minimum for those years. Add in the file ​Fiche 281.10 for all those years.

I don't think that unpaid holiday would effect that much if working days come to around 468 days, given the fact that he also possesses a permanent residence already.