Change to partner visa with EU citizen after a Dutch relationship ends

Hi,

I'm an expat from a third-country national (non EU). So last summer I went from being on a Kennismigrant visa to partner visa and lived with my dutch (now ex) boyfriend.

After we moved in together, things got sour but we kept on living together 'til April 2020. During the lockdown, living together became unbearable.. So I decided to move out and moved back to my old apartment, which I subletted to my current EU partner.

During this time, my Dutch ex and I decided to keep our address the same to keep my residency.

Since April, I've been living with my EU partner and hoping to register and move to a new place together.

My question is, how do I deal with the change of residence permit in this case? Can I apply for a new residence permit with my current EU partner, while still legally being the partner of my Dutch ex?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Confused immigrant

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties; the issue for me is that while I know the system does deal with situations such as separation/divorce, the solutions they offer to you depend on the circumstances.  I'm not suggesting for one minute that you write your sad tale on this open forum, but you are going to have to tell the IND, if not the details, but in general terms.  The fact that you entered the country on a skilled migrant visa is in your favour.

The situations I've heard of ended in the IND advising on the potential ways forward, then giving a timeline for which they agreed, for example, a change of status could be achieved.  I've never heard of anybody being deported for this, so please don't worry about that.  The only issue is COVID and the lack of people working in the IND offices; all you can do is contact them (details are on their website), ask to make an appointment, it may be a telephone appointment, then take it from there.

You do need to advise the Gemeente of your change of address, the law requires you to do that and it will not help your case if when you tell them, that they discover you have not complied with this requirement.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team