Trying to move to Netherlands with my boyfriend

I am a 23 year old American girl and my boyfriend lives in Netherlands. I want to move in with him and start my life there, but he is a student so he can't sponsor my visa for me. I am a hairstylist (graduated from a Paul Mitchell school) and hope I can somehow use that there, if not I'm willing to do any job I can get that will land me a visa...

We are really in love and really want to start a life together, but going through the relationship route is no longer an option since he can't show his income to sponsor me. We have been calling all over the place, including the IND and they said my only way is pretty much to find a job.

Is this really the only way? My chances aren't looking so good from what I've read, and we are both going crazy. I'm visiting him again in November. What can I do while I'm there to help the situation?

Thanks for helping, anybody's advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Is your boyfriend Dutch or American? If he is American, then you will have to fend for yourself. You don't need a visa to land in Netherlands. Your entry and stay is exempted from visa for 90 days from the day of arrival.

Alternately, if he is Dutch, you can get married and get a dependant visa.

Hello! No actually he is Dutch and from the Netherlands. And I don't mean an entry visa, I mean to live there and stay with him permanently. It's also too soon to get married, we just want to stay together.

The best option available to you is to go to Netherlands as a tourist( Your visa will be on arrival), stay there for 90 days, in the meantime, get married to your boyfriend in Netherlands and register your marriage there.

You will have enough time on hand to get your things in place by that time.

Is there anyway to do this without getting married?

The other option open to you is to find a job in Netherlands, get a work/resident permit, live with your boyfriend and then get married at your convenience.

However, your educational background and training will not fall under the highly skilled migrant quota of the Dutch immigration programme. It will be difficult for you to secure a highly skilled work/resident permit to work long-term there.

You can still land in Netherlands, set up a business there and stay there for 90 days. Beyond that, you must appraoch the IND for extension of your stay.

The company has to be registered in your name and it would lend credibility to your case if you have a Dutch partner, resident in Netherlands.

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=english.ind.nl

Check this out, maybe it will help!

Good luck!

Thanks to you both, I have been calling around desperately (IND included) and finding more information. It turns out there are some possibilities with hair styling, as I do have some good connections. I would, however, like to go in person to some salons and ask around personally. It always makes a better impression to see the person face to face, especially in Netherlands where people tend to be more personal.
I am also intensively learning Dutch. I already speak fluent German, and a couple of other languages, so this definitely helps speed up the process since it's very similar to German.

Any advice however is always super helpful, thanks to those who answered and to anyone else willing to give some input! Much love, and good luck to those trying to find their way as well!

i went through the long distance and finally i move to NL ! And i am hairstylist too ! Since you can speak fluent German , i believe you will learn dutch very fast ! The language is also quite important here to look for a job! I dont start to work yet ,  but i do keep my eye to look about any jobs for hair stylist! Actually, there have quite a lot! But i am not 100% sure if they all need you to speak dutch or not ! If you go to the big city like amsterdam, rotterdam to look for a jobs... i think it would be easier even if you just speak english!! i hope you will sucess and keep flighting for your love !!xxx

nicholbwu wrote:

i went through the long distance and finally i move to NL ! And i am hairstylist too ! Since you can speak fluent German , i believe you will learn dutch very fast ! The language is also quite important here to look for a job! I dont start to work yet ,  but i do keep my eye to look about any jobs for hair stylist! Actually, there have quite a lot! But i am not 100% sure if they all need you to speak dutch or not ! If you go to the big city like amsterdam, rotterdam to look for a jobs... i think it would be easier even if you just speak english!! i hope you will sucess and keep flighting for your love !!xxx

Your message definitely cheered me up! Thank you, at this point i'm willing to do whatever it takes, including looking in every city possible to make my dream come true! I definitely have been learning more and more Dutch, and it is relatively easy because of German! I will have 3 months to search and I really pray and hope it works out. Thanks again for your kind and supportive words, and also advice!

Nash1984 wrote:

Hi,

Is your boyfriend Dutch or American? If he is American, then you will have to fend for yourself. You don't need a visa to land in Netherlands. Your entry and stay is exempted from visa for 90 days from the day of arrival.

Alternately, if he is Dutch, you can get married and get a dependant visa.

Marrying a dutch guy can give you the right to stay here but she stil need that work permit. Without minimum income 1600 € bruto forget it ! Ask first at the IND if americans do need work permit to work in Nederlands.

If you don't want to marry now you can do a registered partnerschip at the council town .Is almost the same , give you most of the rights as married person.
Convenience at being married or having this partnerschip:
-easier at IND
- after 3 years of being here in Nederlands you can ask for dutch passport in place of 5 (becareful , if you ask for dutch passport is possible to you to loose your american passport)

You can become freelancer ,zzp or eenmanszaak .In any case you have to declare at Tax (Belasting)the money you earn. You can do hairstylist at home or at your costumer house.
Between zzp and eenmanszaak is some differences : as zzp you should prove that you have min.3 good costumers per year who provide a particulary amount of money per year.
Better choose eenmanszaak .Go to KVK and ask them.Once you have set your business (having name , BTW number, KVK number ) start to make advertisment(flyers, announcement on internet , small notes at supermarket etc).
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]
Good luck!

you need to find work there in the netherlands, or your boyfriend will have to find a job where he earns more than 1600 euro's

The problem with marrying or a partnership is... my boyfriend is still a student, so he cannot show financial independence right now. So I believe that is out of the question, even for marriage...

If I go to salons IN PERSON while in Netherlands during my visit, is there any chance for me? My German is fluent and my Dutch is getting moderate...

Also, opening up a business of my own is something on  my mind. Maybe it's a good plan B, to use my hair and nail-skills independently...

michb324 wrote:

If I go to salons IN PERSON while in Netherlands during my visit, is there any chance for me? My German is fluent and my Dutch is getting moderate...

I will say: TRY IT!!!!
You don't know if you don't try it and who knows what happened?
If you try to speak Dutch then you show that you are willing to do everything. People will appreciate that very much.

I wish you very very good luck and I hope you will succeed.

Add me : [email protected]  on messenger and I can explain you better how is going with having private business.
Greetings,

MayanMistica wrote:

You can become freelancer ,zzp or eenmanszaak .In any case you have to declare at Tax (Belasting)the money you earn. You can do hairstylist at home or at your costumer house.
Between zzp and eenmanszaak is some differences : as zzp you should prove that you have min.3 good costumers per year who provide a particulary amount of money per year.
Better choose eenmanszaak .Go to KVK and ask them.Once you have set your business (having name , BTW number, KVK number ) start to make advertisment(flyers, announcement on internet , small notes at supermarket etc).
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]
Good luck!

Thank you, that's very informative, I will definitely look into it. Because I am still quite young and would have no idea how to get started, opening a business might be a later resort. I would like to do it eventually, but to earn customers and build a reputation seems tough without have worked somewhere first?

Check your e-mail adress.I just sent you something.

i do have the same problem :(
im 23 from philippines and yes my bf is still a student.
im planning to there but its really hard.

Hi

I'm Iranian I want to immigrate to the Netherlands through university and I am not married to my partner, what are the conditions, how long does it take for my partner's visa to come and how do we have to prove that we are in a relationship?

Hi
I'm Iranian I want to immigrate to the Netherlands through university and I am not married to my partner, what are the conditions, how long does it take for my partner's visa to come and how do we have to prove that we are in a relationship?
-@baharnazzandinezhad80

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

All the details related to your query can be found on the Dutch Government (IND) website; this link will take you straight to it.

They also have a Service and Contact page on their website, which includes an FAQ and other useful contact information, this link will take you straight to it. They also have a Twitter feed where you can ask generic types of questions - @IND_NL.

To answer your specific questions:

• It generally takes at least 90 days for such permits; it can take longer during peak periods.
  • The proof is normally by some governmental documentation, or if not, then documents (rental agreements in both names), joint bank accounts, or other utility paperwork that is in both names.

I've removed your duplicate post.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team