30 percent ruling and family dependent visa

Hi all,

Me and my wife found a job (different employers) in Netherlands and planning our move.

My question is, if I get a highly-skilled migrant visa through my employer, and my wife gets a dependent visa on me, will she be able to apply for 30 percent ruling as well? Or does she have to apply for visa with her company to be able to do that?

Thank you in advance.
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The Dutch Government (Belasdtingdienst) have a webpage that describes who can apply for the 30% tax ruling; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
Hi Cynic,
Thank you for your welcome. I want to say that here you have is a very good website.

Thank you for the link and lightning-fast response :)
Actually I read that page and some of the older posts on the forum and I believe that visa does not have a direct effect on the 30 percent ruling process. However some people just said us the opposite. We had signed our contracts already and wanted to be sure we are not missing anything. When I saw this forum, I thought that you guys certainly know more than most people so wanted to asked to you as well.
Hi again.

First off, I must say I'm not a tax expert and I would always advise you to seek professional advice if the receipt of any single item is important enough to make you think twice as to whether to do something.

The 30% tax break is a personal allowance, your marital status has no bearing on whether you qualify or not.

In your case, your wife has to go through the same process as you, i.e. she is sponsored by her employer who applies for her work visa; her relationship with you has nothing to do with her in this matter.  I would not think her getting a dependent visa based on her being your wife is a good idea.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
Thank you for your advice. I will look for some professionals, I think.
Hello!

Me & my husband both moved to NL together & I am on HSM dependent visa. Both of us are employed with different employers. So, our situation is same as yours. Both our companies confirmed that we are eligible for 30% ruling. Therefore, I guess it is no where an issue even if your wife is on dependent visa. If she has HSM visa status she is eligible for 30% ruling. It is just that she should confirm from her employer to start the process.
Hello!

Me & my husband both moved to NL together & I am on HSM dependent visa. Both of us are employed with different employers. So, our situation is same as yours. Both our companies confirmed that we are eligible for 30% ruling. Therefore, I guess it is no where an issue even if your wife is on dependent visa. If she has HSM visa status she is eligible for 30% ruling. It is just that she should confirm from her employer to start the process.
- @shivangimohan94

Hi and thanks for the input.

Can you confirm that both you and your husband are in receipt of the 30% tax ruling?

Cynic
Expat Team

@Cynic Well, it is in process for now. as we have just moved here.

Thank you for the info. Can you please update here when you get the response? Hope it does not take too long :)

@shivangimohan94 Hi! Can you please confirm if you (the one with dependent visa) got the job after moving to NL or did you have it before coming?