Bringing parents to Netherlands

Hi,
I've seen similar threads but never exactly same circumstances.  Hope that someone can provide guidance.

My wife, myself, and my two children will be relocating to the Netherlands later in 2016 for work.  The four of us are Canadian citizens, but my wife also has Irish citizenship.  I believe that I'll be getting a "Highly Skilled Worker" visa, but for argument's sake, let's see if this still works with a regular work visa.

My mother is 84 years old.  I'm her only child, and while she doesn't live with us, she does depend on me to be around.  So, I'd like to relocate her as well.

Will my work visa/highly skilled visa allow me to bring her in for residency (in order for her to be able to stay longer than 6 months and be able to purchase the public healthcare)?  If not, would she alternatively be able to come in given that she is mother-in-law to an EU citizen (my wife)?

I'm assuming that my mother-in-law (the mother of the EU citizen) would have no issues entering herself as direct blood relative of an EU citizen despite not being an EU citizen herself.

Thanks in advance!

Two comments:

the first one is on your last comment: don't assume that your mil have an easy access despite she is a parent of an EU citizen and she's not. It depends on her valid passport.

According to this site your mother can come with you but  you (or she) needs to prove that she's depending on you. How and what to prove doesn't say.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re … dex_en.htm

The best what you can do is to visit the nearest Dutch Embassy for better and more clarification.

Good luck and all the best.

Primadonna
Many thanks for your response, that helps.
You're right that I shouldn't be complacent in assuming that the mil will be allowed just because she is mother to an EU citizen.  I've taken your advice and written to the Dutch consulate in Canada.  Assuming that I get a response that lets me understand the facts, I'll post the answer back here in case someone else is in a similar situation in the future.

That would be great, thanks.

As an update, the Canadian consulate has gotten back to me and sent me to IND to get a ruling.  I've e-mailed them and now await their answer.
I was also forwarded this link:
https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/residence … fault.aspx

While I'll let IND do the ruling, it seems fairly clear that my mother-in-law would be eligible simply by virtue of being mother to the EU citizen.  For my mother, it appears that eligibility would be based on financial/health dependence given that one of the other criteria (that she's living with us here) is not applicable.

Hi,
So here's the "conclusion" to this.

My mother-in-law (mother of EU citizen) = no issue.  Just needs to prove her relationship with the EU citizen, have a valid passport, and not "be a threat".

My mother (mother-in-law of EU citizen) is a bit more complicated.  She can stay if she proves a couple of things.  Such as either living with us for 6+ months prior to the move.  Or that she depends on us financially or medically.  The key with these is that they rely on documents from "competent authorities" that these are true.  My further question to IND is what qualifies as a "competent authority".
So, in short, she can do it, but there'll have to be some documentation in place.  Nothing that a good immigration lawyer can't help us ensure that we have.  Without that documentation, though... she can only stay a max of 3 months.

D.

So sorry to hear that but I expected that somehow ...
You need to concentrate on the documents.
Try to prove that she's depending on you, social isolation etc.

Competent Authority (CA) = Government Body responsible for legislation.  So health = Health Ministry; defence = defence ministry etc etc.

That said, I know in the UK that some CA's are actually agencies of Government departments, for example The Environment Agency are a CA for environmental matters, but not an actual Government Department (known as a "Executive non-departmental public body".

Agree with that definition of "Competent authority".  Thus, which Competent authority will provide documentation that she was living with me, or that she relies on me for financial/physical support that can't be provided by anyone else?  It's gray in those cases, and IND could clarify no further.

Yes!
Because it's a grey area and apparently they are different for each country. Maybe for this the IND can't clarify what you exactly need.

These seem to be social care issues; I just checked the Canadian Government website and it seems this is devolved to individual Provinces; this link gives you the contact details for each; I'd start with that.

Hi there, RicoSuave.

I'd like to know if you had any troubles to take your mother-in-law to live with you in the Netherlands.

I have a similar situation. I'm a EU-citizen and I'd like to take my mom to live with me in the Netherlands (like your wife). I'm moving two months from now probably. But the IND said that there are no way to my mother come permanently. Look what they've said:

"I understand you and your husband want to come and live in the Netherlands. You have the Portuguese nationality . You want to know if your mother can come and live with you in the Netherlands. Your husband will have sufficient income to support the whole family. Your mother has the Brazilian nationality.

The IND has no options for non- EU parents to come and join their family for more than 90 days. It is only possible to apply for a short term visa to invite your mother to the Netherlands for a period of 90 days within a period of 180 days. For more information  you can look at https://ind.nl/en/short-stay.
"

I don't know in whom I should trust because the EUROPE DIRECT Contact Centre said just the opposite:

"We wish to inform you that if you are an EU citizen moving to another EU country to live, work or study, EU rules make it easier for your family to join you.

Your non-EU parents may stay with you in another EU country. If they stay for less than 3 months, all they need is a valid passport and sometimes, depending on the country they are from, an entry visa.

If you are working in another EU country, as an employee, self-employed or on a posting, your non-EU mother can stay there with you without having to meet any other conditions.

However, she must apply for a residence document with the authorities in the host country (often the town hall or local police station) within 3 months of arriving.
During her stay in your new country, your non-EU parent should be treated as national, notably regarding access to employment, pay and benefits facilitating access to work and enrolment in schools.

If you do not work, your mother can stay with you in your new country on certain conditions and you must be able to demonstrate that and meet the necessary conditions.
"

Any thoughts on this?

familiabmmr wrote:

Hi there, RicoSuave.

I'd like to know if you had any troubles to take your mother-in-law to live with you in the Netherlands.

I have a similar situation. I'm a EU-citizen and I'd like to take my mom to live with me in the Netherlands (like your wife). I'm moving two months from now probably. But the IND said that there are no way to my mother come permanently. ........................  any thoughts on this?

To be honest, except that the Europe Direct version has used lots more words to basically say the same thing as IND, I don't see any difference in the substance of the two statements.

Basically, a non-EU citizen does not have the right to live and work in Holland (or anywhere else in the EU); they have to apply to IND.  They can "visit" for up to 90 days in a 180 day period and depending where they are from, may need a Visa.

Thank you very much for your reply, Cynic.  :top:

Well... My understanding was very different from yours... I don't think is almost the same thing... Maybe it's my English understanding.

When I read "If you are working in another EU country, as an employee, self-employed or on a posting, your non-EU mother can stay there with you without having to meet any other conditions" (the European Direct reply) I understood that she can live with me only filling some criterias.

I really understand that she need a Visa, an authorization to stay longer than 90 days, but is that so impossible?  :(:sosad:

familiabmmr wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply, Cynic.  :top:

Well... My understanding was very different from yours... I don't think is almost the same thing... Maybe it's my English understanding.

When I read "If you are working in another EU country, as an employee, self-employed or on a posting, your non-EU mother can stay there with you without having to meet any other conditions" (the European Direct reply) I understood that she can live with me only filling some criterias.

I really understand that she need a Visa, an authorization to stay longer than 90 days, but is that so impossible?  :(:sosad:

I've hi-lighted 2 words from the Europe Direct information you quoted.  "Can stay", does not mean "Can live".  Stay is temporary, live is permanent.

Perhaps you are reading too much in this; unlike yourself (EU citizen), your mother (non-EU citizen) does not have the right to enter Holland to live and maybe work, without complying with certain restrictions (i.e. a visa).  You can just turn up, show your EU passport, and you're in; she can't.

No matter what her intentions are, she will need some kind of visa (there are different types).  I'm not saying she can't live in Holland, of course she can, she just has to go through a few more hoops than yourself before she can do so.  The solution is for her to apply for a Visa to live and work in Holland; there is no guarantee it will be granted.  This link may help you.

Hi all,
I don't have a definite answer for you, but I believe the replies thus far guide in the right way.  To break it down simply, as I understand it:

Non-EU parent of a non-EU resident of the EU: They will need to apply for their own residency based on their own merits unless they can meet certain hurdles (such as proof that the parent is entirely dependent on the child, for one).  Other than meeting the hurdles, the fact that their child is in the EU will have no bearing on the decision.  If they meet the hurdles, they will need to apply for residency under a different scheme.

Non-EU parent of an EU resident:  They will need to apply for residency using the family scheme.  There is no guarantee of admittance, but the wording seems preferential (at least to me), and would suggest that this is entirely possible providing there is no explicit reason why the parent could not be admitted.  In fact (and please don't trust me, you'll need to research), my understanding is that the parent is eligible for national health care from the moment of their registration in NL while determination of their suitability for residency is being determined.

On a personal level, we were trying to bring my mom (non-EU) into the NL while I have residency there as non-EU.  I could not dream up of ways that she could have met the hurdles, and hence we judged that it was likely that she'd have to apply on her own merits, which we went on to decide was going to be near impossible.  As such, we did not proceed.

To quote one of my favourite Dutchisms, often used when they've given you a very unclear answer, which I'm afraid the above is (and I can't do any better)...  I trust that I have informed you sufficiently.  :)

Cynic wrote:
familiabmmr wrote:

Hi there, RicoSuave.

I have a similar situation. I'm a EU-citizen and I'd like to take my mom to live with me in the Netherlands (like your wife). I'm moving two months from now probably. But the IND said that there are no way to my mother come permanently. ........................  any thoughts on this?

To be honest, except that the Europe Direct version has used lots more words to basically say the same thing as IND, I don't see any difference in the substance of the two statements.

Basically, a non-EU citizen does not have the right to live and work in Holland (or anywhere else in the EU); they have to apply to IND.  They can "visit" for up to 90 days in a 180 day period and depending where they are from, may need a Visa.

That's how I read it too but I am very curious to know what they mean with certain conditions.

RicoSuave wrote:

Hi all,
I don't have a definite answer for you, but I believe the replies thus far guide in the right way.  To break it down simply, as I understand it:

Non-EU parent of a non-EU resident of the EU: They will need to apply for their own residency based on their own merits unless they can meet certain hurdles (such as proof that the parent is entirely dependent on the child, for one).  Other than meeting the hurdles, the fact that their child is in the EU will have no bearing on the decision.  If they meet the hurdles, they will need to apply for residency under a different scheme.

Non-EU parent of an EU resident:  They will need to apply for residency using the family scheme.  There is no guarantee of admittance, but the wording seems preferential (at least to me), and would suggest that this is entirely possible providing there is no explicit reason why the parent could not be admitted.  In fact (and please don't trust me, you'll need to research), my understanding is that the parent is eligible for national health care from the moment of their registration in NL while determination of their suitability for residency is being determined.

On a personal level, we were trying to bring my mom (non-EU) into the NL while I have residency there as non-EU.  I could not dream up of ways that she could have met the hurdles, and hence we judged that it was likely that she'd have to apply on her own merits, which we went on to decide was going to be near impossible.  As such, we did not proceed.

To quote one of my favourite Dutchisms, often used when they've given you a very unclear answer, which I'm afraid the above is (and I can't do any better)...  I trust that I have informed you sufficiently.  :)

I agree with most of that and as I said previously, that's what IND have told you.  With regards to healthcare; as you've specifically mentioned it, am I right in reading that this is an important factor in bringing your mother to Holland?

The issue regarding entitlement and registration is that once you have been admitted legally into Holland, you must register at the Gemeente; once you register, you receive a BSN number and this number is required to enable you to register with a GP (and also open a bank account, get a driving licence, pay taxes etc), through which, all Dutch medical services are administered; i.e. you can't just turn up at a hospital, you must arrange this through your GP.  The fact you are registered does not entitle anybody to healthcare, just to register with a doctor and provide their Health Insurance details. 

In general, everybody in Holland pays for personal healthcare; there is no free at the point of delivery National Health Service such as in the UK; the cost of healthcare is approx 50/50 between the State (via legislation) and the citizen (I think my daughter pays about €150, her employer another €150); then because the basic healthcare insurance system does not cover everything, everybody has to pay an additional "surcharge" (I think €385) per year, if you use the service - for example, if you went to the doctor and required regular medication, the patient has to pay the first €385 of the cost of that medication; how this works (I think; haven't used it for a while) is that you pay up front and send receipts to your Insurer; after €385, you get some money back - but not the €385.  Also, the medication you receive is always the cheapest option that effectively treats your illness; this is controlled by the pharmacist that issues your prescription, not your doctor.  There is a "list" of approved medications.

If you work, it is charged to you and your employer pays the legislative contribution, if you are retired, unemployed or an asylum seeker, then you still pay your part, but the other half is deducted from your social funds money/pension; if you have none of this, then it is all up to you to pay the whole contribution.  This is charged regardless of age or status.  Retired citizens of other EU countries are covered by their own home country.

When I first lived in Holland and received my residence permit, it had written on it something along the lines of "not entitled to any state benefits"; your mother will be treated the same.  I got in as the spouse of a Dutch citizen; this changed with changes in the EU rules, but the bit about non-entitled citizens has always been there.

Ricosuave,

I am in a similar situation. I have a job offer from a company in Netherlands. I plan to move with my wife and widow mother. She is totally dependent with me and loving with me since my father's death (3 year back). I am currently working in Singapore and have an Indian passport. What's the best option for me to get my mother for a long term?

Hi,

I hope bringing the mother in this situation is possible and there is a way to do it.
Were you able to find out ?

I too belong to the same situation. Your help will definetely help me.

Thanks,
Yogendra

yogendra_nama wrote:

Hi,

I hope bringing the mother in this situation is possible and there is a way to do it.
Were you able to find out ?

I too belong to the same situation. Your help will definetely help me.

Thanks,
Yogendra

Hi,

Have you got it sorted or anyone else has visa sorted for their parents?

Thanks,
Rahol

I must stress up-front that I have no direct experience of this, but in general, my understanding is that under the family re-unification rules, it is possible to bring a single parent who is over 65; but you must earn enough with a proper contracted job (>12 month contract) to fully support him/her (it was >1,400 euros gross) and if they come from one of those countries where it's required, they also have to go through the MVV process.

My advice is to talk to the IND directly and explain your circumstances; their contact information is available from this link.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expert Team

Hi Rahul,

Did you got any solution , I have same scenarios as yours ,

Appreciate for your help in Advance !

Regards,
Rany

Hi I am an Indian citizen, currently living in the UK. I am planning to move to the Netherlands on a 'highly skilled migrant visa'. I want to bring my dependant mother along with me. Has anyone on this thread been able to do this?

ASun1 wrote:

Hi I am an Indian citizen, currently living in the UK. I am planning to move to the Netherlands on a 'highly skilled migrant visa'. I want to bring my dependant mother along with me. Has anyone on this thread been able to do this?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The published rules are not clear, but I can't see it being impossible; so I'd advise you to speak to your new Employer and get them to speak to IND on your behalf so it can be included as part of your immigration process.  If it does turn out to be impossible, at least you'll find out before it becomes an issue after you've moved.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you. Can you recommend an immigration lawyer consultant in the Netherlands?

ASun1 wrote:

Thank you. Can you recommend an immigration lawyer consultant in the Netherlands?

It's something that could be done quite easily by yourself, but if you wish to use a service provider, then check out our Handy Tools section at the top of the page, that will take you to our Business Directory where you may find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

thank you!

Hey guys
Any progress, i am same situation, my mum is living with me in Netherlands, after waiting 6 months they sent us a letter that they want more evidence of my work dependancy etc, please guys share your stories,

Hello. I am currently living in Netherlands.
I am an EU citizen and would like to bring my elderly mother to Netherlands since she is dependent on daily care.
She is also an EU citizen.
Will she be able to get health care medicines and even when the time comes assisted living in Netherlands?

Thankyou

Rhe19 wrote:

Hello. I am currently living in Netherlands.
I am an EU citizen and would like to bring my elderly mother to Netherlands since she is dependent on daily care.
She is also an EU citizen.
Will she be able to get health care medicines and even when the time comes assisted living in Netherlands?

Thankyou

Your Forum information tells me you're a Scot, so a UK citizen.  Assuming your mother is the same, she will have to pay Health Insurance if she lives in Holland; however, this is simplified if she's a UK citizen and in receipt of a UK state pension as she can contact the Pension people in Newcastle and request an S1 form which will cover the basic premium; that will sort out that bit.  However, it will be on the same basis as you, i.e. she will have to pay for medicines up to the policy annual limit of 385 euro, plus any treatment not covered by the basic policy (check your own).  She will not get the free things she currently enjoys in the UK.

The thing that may screw this up for her is Brexit because a non-EU citizen who has not paid into the Dutch social system is not allowed to become a burden on the state and if she finds herself being unable to pay her way, then she could be sent back to the UK.

Assisted living - you are really describing social housing and some recent changes seem to have restricted this to people who have paid into the scheme; the Dutch call it "Wet langdurige zorg", my advice is to contact your local social services in Holland and see what support can be available.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi There,

I do have the same scenario. I will be moving alone with my 5 year old son. My work requires travel, so i am planning to bring my 64 year old mom with me so she can help me around with the child when i have to travel. Is there any way she can stay with me for more than 3 months. We are non-EU from India. Reading through the previous conversations I understood it is somewhat not possible.

Assuming your coming as a highly skilled migrant, your new employer will be applying for your visa/work permit; contact them now and ask them to include your mother in the application.  Doing it this way, you'll know within a fortnight whether it's possible or not.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic. Yes i will be on Highly skilled Migrant. The immigration and relocation is done through a consultancy appointed by my employer. I had already asked the consultancy to include my mother's Visa. But as technically she is not part of the family (Husband , wife , children) so they dont process it , but i have to from my side.

Then you have a problem; you will only have a chance of getting her in via a residence permit based on article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights: the human right for a family reunion.  But to qualify for that, she would need to be totally dependant on you.  So what are your mother's circumstances, i.e. after you leave, will she then be alone in India, is her husband still around, do you have any other brothers/sisters still there?

Thank you again. This is going to be difficult , though she is totally dependant on me financially and more over emotionally, I cannot prove this
1. she and my dad lives a separate life, and don't get along, but they are not divorced and still live in the same family house along with my brother and family
2. Though I provide financial support to her, doesn't mean that she will not be looked after If I am not present.
So my dad and brother will support her if she needs .

But she leads a troubled life with my sister in law and we cannot control the situation. So I decided if I can take her along with me she will be very happy and all of us will be especially my son. Again a huge relief to me if I have to go to work and travel when it comes to my son.

But I assume these type of stories are good for films, not in front of law.

I have checked the article 8 , but did not get how I can relate this to my case

Hi Cynic,

Quick question about Article 8, is it best to file this type of application from the country of origin or here in the Netherlands?

I am a Filipino by birth but years ago I have already acquired my Dutch citizenship via naturalization.

My mother is the only family that I have and she is solely dependent on me. In December she will be turning 79. It would be a huge relief if she could live with us here.

Thanks in advance for ur time.

Groetjes, Agnes

Mauricia wrote:

Hi Cynic,

Quick question about Article 8, is it best to file this type of application from the country of origin or here in the Netherlands?

I am a Filipino by birth but years ago I have already acquired my Dutch citizenship via naturalization.

My mother is the only family that I have and she is solely dependent on me. In December she will be turning 79. It would be a huge relief if she could live with us here.

Thanks in advance for ur time.

Groetjes, Agnes

Hi Agnes,

On the face of it, she would be a candidate for an Article 8 visa, all you can do is enquire at the IND; their website has the contact details for you to make an appointment.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello there again,

i have got a positive intention on my MVV and booked my appointment for 8th of November to hand in passport and bio metrics.

I am planning to apply for my mom's visa on the short term - visit family and friends category on the same day. Could you be able to help what are the documents required to go through hassle free.

Thank you

NViswan wrote:

Hello there again,

i have got a positive intention on my MVV and booked my appointment for 8th of November to hand in passport and bio metrics.

I am planning to apply for my mom's visa on the short term - visit family and friends category on the same day. Could you be able to help what are the documents required to go through hassle free.

Thank you

Hi there.

The complete list can be viewed on the IND website; this link will take you there; scroll down and select Checklist.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team