How has Malta been affected by the Libya and Egypt...Tunisa...etc

Hello,

Just wondering how Malta has been affected by the uprising in Libya and Egypt.  Does the night sky look like the 4th of July?  Are people more on edge?  What is the political refugee situation? It was once compared to Cuba and Miami, but I am unsure if that is a true an accurate description.

We are seriously considering moving to Malta but obviously would like a real person account of what life in Malta since the trouble began.  This may of course magnify my ignorance of political policy and the like,NOt my intent. However I simply do not know and cannot find any answers in line or with the BBC…

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

It's all good and I don't really feel that something has changed since the start of the war in Libya.
It happened a few times that some military jets landed at Malta's aiport to refuel and there are refugees coming on boats from Africa, but they've been always coming here and because of the war in Libya, I would say there are more of them, however personally I don't feel like it impacts me.

Most of the refugees treats Malta as the short stop on the way to other European countries, mostly UK, France or Italy.

It's definietly not Cuba or Miami, and I am telling all this from the foreigners living in Malta point of view (been living here for 3 years now).

Good luck!

no real effect to the everyday lives on malta but its is in the back of peoples minds - although government stats would have you believe there has not been any impact on tourism..I am not so sure....

it is a slight worry being so close to Libya etc...but to be honest it seems to have been a damp squib in terms of what people were expecting to happen here - thank god for the various UN forces and their ability to mobilise so quickly