How to rent a flat as HQS in Peter

Dear all,

I need your advice and help.

I would go to Russia (after COVID) on the HQS status, what has a lot of benefits and ease within the legal structure beside the uncertain- How to rent a flat and be registered.

In my understanding as Expat with HQS-status the registration process for the landlord is ease as well - as it is different to the registration with usual work permit (7 days) - as the HQSterms (within 90 days) affect also the registration period for the landlord (otehrwise the HQS possibility wouldn´t make any sense for anyone living longer in Russia).

But my company tells me that for the landlord the registration within 7 stays active in anyway and therefore no one is going to rent to forigners, especially if they are travelling around Russia for business, as after every leave a new registration need to be done?

So I need advice how it is really and how do you deal with that regulation on an practical way. I am quite sure there is an official way which works out.

Thanks Andreas

Hello. We are a real estate agency in St.Petersburg.  There were  HQS status tenants among our foreign clients and yes, they could register within 90 days, while their family members needed regular registration within 7 days, so their landlords sometimes registered just their family members and sometimes all of them together. Yes, landlords often mind the mess with the registration,  some would even want to, but they cannot provide for it as they rent out their flats according to the Power of Attorney  when flat owners live abroad or in another city, and this document does not  allow to register according to the law, just a flat owner or a person with the "propiska" in the apartment can register in it. But, even though it is difficult to find a landlord who will register, it does not mean it is impossible! Renting situation is not so good here these days, there are no new foreigners currently because of closed borders, Russian tenants are also unpredictable because of the economy, so some of the landlords will put up with all the complications and will agree to register you even within 7 days, let alone -- within 90!
Hope it will help.
Thanks,
Irina

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : No advertising on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have rent an apartment in SPB since the end of February, I'm paying the rental and employer is paying back to me. So far I have no visa and I am locked out of Russia. As migration services will be resumed only then applying for HQS visa and doing the rest of the tasks.
Thanks to God, my boss is a really nice guy and willing to pay, landlord is a kind person and giving discount to the rental fee.