Does anyone know when to allow tourists to enter Vietnam thanks

Ciambella wrote:
Contem talk wrote:

If you mean, Chinese don't spend even single 1$ in VN. Then why the VN government should pay attention to Chinese tourist and investment if they have no benefits from Chinese?

I didn't say Chinese tourists don't spend even $1 in VN.  I said the local economy benefits little from them.  If they make a food purchase on sidewalk vendors or a coffee at Starbucks, they still spend some money.  Not enough to boost the economy, but enough to support the sidewalk vendors for that day.

The Vietnamese government (or rather, some people in the government) pay attention to Chinese investors to benefit their pockets.  They pay attention to Chinese tourists because the tourists are part of the agreement they have with the investors.

Hmm, That makes sense.

Tiny_63 wrote:

it just came in the newspapers: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 05848.html

Thanks for the link, very informative, please post when you have some more news.

Interesting and quite surprising to me. I read the list of countries on the list that includes Brazil. How can this be? Brazil is out of countrol. Just read one report that by August deaths in Brazil could reach 125,000. Curiously Thailand is not on the list. I have been in Bangkok since March 4. Thailand is now experiencing days with no new cases that are organic. Most new cases are from Thai's coming back to Thailand. But they are immediately quarantined at the border, usually Malaysia,or the airport.

The USA is on the approved list. My trip to Vietnam was cancelled as of mid March. As an American citizen I now wonder if I can fly to Vietnam in July from Thailand assuming that flights exist. A trip in June to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok now on my list.

Wait and See...nobody knows...??

Just saw this from Visa agent I used to get visa for Ms My to go to Hong Kong last time. Dont know how official his info is but looks like things are starting to happen.

https://i.postimg.cc/xqHxZBBw/visa.png

Nvarist:-
Interesting and quite surprising to me. I read the list of countries on the list that includes Brazil. How can this be? Brazil is out of countrol. Just read one report that by August deaths in Brazil could reach 125,000.

Just because a country is on this e visa list does not mean they automatically will get a visa if they apply. This list is just an update from the previous e visa list which was already in place prior to corona............I think!!

Curiously Thailand is not on the list. I have been in Bangkok since March 4. Thailand is now experiencing days with no new cases that are organic. Most new cases are from Thai's coming back to Thailand. But they are immediately quarantined at the border, usually Malaysia,or the airport.

I suppose Thailand is not there because Thai citizens dont need a visa to come to Vietnam!

... and, just because there is a new list of countries that can get e-visas as of July 1, it does not mean the borders will be open.

"I suppose Thailand is not there because Thai citizens dont need a visa to come to Vietnam!"

You are correct. I knew that but obviously failed to consider it in my reply. Thanks for the clarification.

I doubt, that international tourism is supposed to be to be happen this year. The list and conditions are clearly made to protect for the while being from mass-tourism.
It more looks like to get some of the needed expats back as a quarantine of 2 weeks is for most tourists not feasible. Vietnam has to lose a lot on cheap tourism but could gain from the industries, which leaving Chinese ground

cruisemonkey wrote:

... and, just because there is a new list of countries that can get e-visas as of July 1, it does not mean the borders will be open.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 54804.html
I was also expecting similar. The aim is clearly, no masses and paying for a visa doesn't warranty approval/entry

Tiny_63 wrote:
cruisemonkey wrote:

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 54804.html
I was also expecting similar. The aim is clearly, no masses and paying for a visa doesn't warranty approval/entry

I think they wait till vaccine will be ready...so more months for sure!!

That will not be before the end of coming year, if ever. Also Vietnamese gasp that. Without any medical bad luck and almost cheating on the legalization, they barely could make it by next year spring and then comes production and distribution ...
An endless long time, just to wait to wait for a vaccine

I think the decision will be driven by dollars. The hotel, tourism, airline industries will be pushing the government to be open asap. Thailand is in a worse state than VN and they are talking about opening in july for international travelers .
With no social welfare system Vietnam cannot afford millions unemployed.  My guess is late july, early August.

I just spoke with my Visa agent in Hanoi.

She is pretty confident that the borders will open on July 1st.

Just her opinion/speculation, but that's all everyone else is sharing here.

hdgh29 wrote:

With no social welfare system Vietnam cannot afford millions unemployed.  My guess is late july, early August.

Social welfare does exist in VN, albeit in a small scope comparing to Western countries.  There are unemployment benefits, assistance for the poor, the elderlies and the disabled benefits, and even assistance for the burial of the deaths.

Regarding to employment, Vietnamese has a different attitude from people in the West:  people who are unemployed (as in not drawing a paycheck) do not wait for new jobs to open.  Instead, they create their own daily income.  They put a cart on the sidewalk and sell cakes, soup, smoothies, bánh mì, desserts, sweet rice, etc. made from their kitchens.  They sell fruits and vegetables grown in their backyards.  They hone knives and scissors, deliver packages, clean houses.  They drive xe ôm.  They become handymen or Jacks and Jills of all trades.  In Vietnam, one rarely hears people complain that they cannot survive due to the lack of jobs.

That's the reason unemployment rate is extremely low: 1.99% in 2019 (2.94% in the cities and 1.52% in the countryside).  Unemployment rate in 2020 is the highest in the last 5 years: 2.22% in the first quarter.  Those are not made-up numbers but a true reflection of the Vietnamese idea of unemployment:  if one can bring home money, one is not unemployed.

I don't know whether the country will be opened in July or whether there will be tourists at that time, but as whether it can afford millions of unemployed, the answer is yes, it can.

The figures for unemployment are a little bit flawed. There is an article (2014)  -- google "Vietnam's unemployment rate one of the lowest worldwide?" where they explain the figures. Cambodia and Laos have even a lower unemployment rate. But you're correct Ciambella if you earn money you're not unemployed anymore.

Sobie wrote:

The figures for unemployment are a little bit flawed.

It's flawed when comparing to what you and I have accustomed to in our home countries.  It's not flawed in Vietnam where having a job means bringing home enough money to buy groceries that day.

For almost 6 months since the outbreak of this pandemic, I truly have not heard anyone saying, "If this thing continues any longer, we'll be starving /homeless/ destitute, etc."

A few doors from where we live, a young woman in her late teens or early 20s made money during the worst part of the pandemic by selling soup in plastic cups from a knee-high table by her front door.  After the restrictions were lifted, she's back running her family's coffee shop.  She wasn't and isn't desperate, same as millions of others. 

After surviving 1000 years under the Chinese, 100 years under the French, 25 years in the war, and numerous upheavals in between, this pandemic is a child play to the Vietnamese.

Ciambella wrote:
Sobie wrote:

The figures for unemployment are a little bit flawed.

It's flawed when comparing to what you and I have accustomed to in our home countries.  It's not flawed in Vietnam where having a job means bringing home enough money to buy groceries that day.

For almost 6 months since the outbreak of this pandemic, I truly have not heard anyone saying, "If this thing continues any longer, we'll be starving /homeless/ destitute, etc."

A few doors from where we live, a young woman in her late teens or early 20s made money during the worst part of the pandemic by selling chicken soup in plastic cups from a knee-high table by her front door.  Since the restrictions were lifted, she's back running her family's coffee shop.  She wasn't and isn't desperate, same as millions of others. 

After surviving 1000 years under the Chinese, 100 years under the French, 25 years in the war, and numerous upheavals in between, this pandemic is a child play to the Vietnamese.

Genius posts Ciambella, I wish I could give you more thumbs up!!!!

I wonder to what extent people speculating on when tourists will be allowed to enter Vietnam are really just wanting to know when they can go back to effectively continuous residency based on a string of tourist visas punctuated by occasional trips to the Cambodian border. 

The persons I have the most sympathy for are holders of VEC's who were outside the country at the time of the closure and now can not rejoin their spouses and families.  This is both spouses of Vietnamese citizens as well as overseas Vietnamese who can no longer visit their families.  I hope the government will see fit to allow them back in even if it means a 14 day quarantine.

THIGV wrote:

I hope the government will see fit to allow them back in even if it means a 14 day quarantine.

I think you will see that sooner rather than later, subject to quarantine.  I've moved out any plan to go back to the US until September soonest, more likely Christmas for a month.  That may be my only trip home before we move in June.

THIGV wrote:

The persons I have the most sympathy for are holders of VEC's who were outside the country at the time of the closure and now can not rejoin their spouses and families.  This is both spouses of Vietnamese citizens as well as overseas Vietnamese who can no longer visit their families.  I hope the government will see fit to allow them back in even if it means a 14 day quarantine.

They are most likely the ones, feeling the full force. However, there still a quite decent time frame for most nationalities/ border crossing, to make it.
Many other countries had given 0 notice

SteinNebraska wrote:

That may be my only trip home before we move in June.

If they let you back in.   :o

THIGV wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

That may be my only trip home before we move in June.

If they let you back in.   :o

A USC and that person's husband/wife and children are allowed to enter the US even today.  They are exempted from the ban.

I HOPE things are better in another 12 months.  Who knows, with what is going on now there might not be a US to go back to.

i thought you meant that you would make a trip to the US in the Fall and return to Vietnam to make the big family trip in June.  That could get tricky unless the rules change.

THIGV wrote:

i thought you meant that you would make a trip to the US in the Fall and return to Vietnam to make the big family trip in June.  That could get tricky unless the rules change.

Ah, yes.  If it is even a little bit flaky or even if there is still a 14 day quarantine I probably won't go.  Not worth it.

I was planning on moving back to the US at the end of September.  My visa is good until October, but I was required to leave the country by 29 May.  As far as I can tell, I am not breaking the law until the grace period ends on June 30, but because I re-entered Vietnam from Australia on 29 February, one day before the 01 March cutoff, they want an exit letter from the US consulate and proof of health before I can leave the country. 

My landlady is trying to figure a way to get a stamp on my passport, but if she cannot, I will have to sign up for an interview at the consulate to get this exit letter.  Unfortunately, June appointments are still grayed out.

paulmsn wrote:

I was planning on moving back to the US at the end of September.  My visa is good until October, but I was required to leave the country by 29 May.  As far as I can tell, I am not breaking the law until the grace period ends on June 30, but because I re-entered Vietnam from Australia on 29 February, one day before the 01 March cutoff, they want an exit letter from the US consulate and proof of health before I can leave the country. 

My landlady is trying to figure a way to get a stamp on my passport, but if she cannot, I will have to sign up for an interview at the consulate to get this exit letter.  Unfortunately, June appointments are still grayed out.

Some info in this thread:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=895449

I can't locate the email, but the Embassy announced it was going to stop issuing some letters soon.

I'm pretty sure it was the letters for those entering after March 1st, but I may be mistaken.

An important point to consider is that the grace extensions are only good for those leaving the country. I'm thinking your 90 day "approval to remain date" from your last entry passed on May 29?

So at this point, without an Embassy letter in support of whatever special circumstances caused you not to exit, you have almost certainly overstayed your 90 days.

Without a letter from the Embassy, my source in Hanoi (my agent) implies that you will be subject to fine for the overstay as you leave the country.

Hopefully the self-reporting health declaration will also be good for you.

You probably could have paid for an in country extension prior to May 29th, but now, any extension on "permission to remain until _____" is likely to include a fine.

Going to immigration for an extension "might" work, if they date the extension from tomorrow instead of from May 29th, however you will almost certainly have to pay an overstay fine if you do that.

I admit, I'm speculating to some degree, but based on what I've learned about this unique situation, those "guesses" are based on facts, which is one step above guesses based on guesses.

It might be time to bite the bullet and pay an agent to help get you out of this mess.

I'll continue looking for the exact quote from the Embassy email about the availability of letters.

Good luck!

paulmsn wrote:

I still didn't find the exact quotes about when they're going to stop providing letters come on but I did find some information that may or may not be helpful:

The Embassy's main COVID-19 info page:

vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Visa info including special info for those planning to leave Vietnam prior to July 2st:

vn.usembassy.gov/information-for-u-s-citizens-on-visas-for-vietnam/

Some pertinent paragraphs:

U.S. citizens and other foreign nationals who entered Vietnam before March 1, 2020, may be considered for an automatic extension through June 30, 2020, if they can provide proof that they have been stranded in Vietnam due to COVID-19 mandatory quarantine, treatment, or other reasons beyond their control, or by presenting a letter from their Embassy or Consulate about their situation.

U.S. citizens who arrived in Vietnam prior to March 1, 2020 and have plans to exit Vietnam before June 30, 2020, may request an exit letter using our America Citizen Services inquiry form here***. Please provide detailed information about your situation, including your full name, date of birth, U.S. passport number, and the date of expiration of your Vietnamese visa.  This is a temporary measure that will only be in effect in response to COVID-19.

***Inquiry form

vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acs-inquiry-form/

U.S. citizens on tourist visas who have overstayed and/or need extensions should work with Vietnamese immigration authorities and follow the proper procedures to resolve immigration-related issues.  U.S. citizens may also contact a tourist agency that can sponsor foreigners seeking to extend their visas for Vietnam without having to depart and re-enter Vietnam.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I still didn't find the exact quotes about when they're going to stop providing letters come on but I did find some information that may or may not be helpful:

Visa info including special info for those planning to leave Vietnam prior to July 2st:

U.S. citizens and other foreign nationals who entered Vietnam before March 1, 2020, may be considered for an automatic extension through June 30, 2020, if they can provide proof that they have been stranded in Vietnam due to COVID-19 mandatory quarantine, treatment, or other reasons beyond their control, or by presenting a letter from their Embassy or Consulate about their situation.

U.S. citizens who arrived in Vietnam prior to March 1, 2020 and have plans to exit Vietnam before June 30, 2020, may request an exit letter using our America Citizen Services inquiry form here***. Please provide detailed information about your situation, including your full name, date of birth, U.S. passport number, and the date of expiration of your Vietnamese visa.  This is a temporary measure that will only be in effect in response to COVID-19.

***Inquiry form

U.S. citizens on tourist visas who have overstayed and/or need extensions should work with Vietnamese immigration authorities and follow the proper procedures to resolve immigration-related issues.  U.S. citizens may also contact a tourist agency that can sponsor foreigners seeking to extend their visas for Vietnam without having to depart and re-enter Vietnam.

Thanks, a bit more clarity, but I still don't know what to do.  I went to two immigration offices before 29 May.  At the first one I was told verbally that I was OK until 30 June but must obtain an exit letter and a health certificate for when I leave.  The second one just looked at my passport and handed me a flyer with the second point circled, which said, "Tourists who entered Vietnam before March 1, 2020 may be considered for an automatic extension until June 30, 2020, providing that they can provide proof that they have been stranded in in Vietnam due to COVID-19, mandatory quarantine, treatment, or other uncontrollable reasons by presenting an exit letter from their Embassy or Consulate about their situation.  They must present these documents upon exiting Vietnam."

Since the Consulate was not doing interviews on 29 May (and apparently is still not), complying with the flyer was not an option, and it appears to be a copy and paste from the instructions for those whose visas have expired.  Mine has not, and I was not planning on permanently exiting Vietnam at this time -- they haven't really thought up anything for those few Americans who have unexpired one year visas and only need the stamp on their passport.  I believe I am still legal per the first office until 30 June, but there's no certainty of that.  I hope that my landlady can do something -- she wants to help.

paulmsn wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

***Inquiry form

Thanks, a bit more clarity, but I still don't know what to do.  I went to two immigration offices before 29 May.  At the first one I was told verbally that I was OK until 30 June but must obtain an exit letter and a health certificate for when I leave.  The second one just looked at my passport and handed me a flyer with the second point circled, which said, "Tourists who entered Vietnam before March 1, 2020 may be considered for an automatic extension until June 30, 2020, providing that they can provide proof that they have been stranded in in Vietnam due to COVID-19, mandatory quarantine, treatment, or other uncontrollable reasons by presenting an exit letter from their Embassy or Consulate about their situation.  They must present these documents upon exiting Vietnam."

Since the Consulate was not doing interviews on 29 May (and apparently is still not), complying with the flyer was not an option, and it appears to be a copy and paste from the instructions for those whose visas have expired.  Mine has not, and I was not planning on permanently exiting Vietnam at this time -- they haven't really thought up anything for those few Americans who have unexpired one year visas and only need the stamp on their passport.  I believe I am still legal per the first office until 30 June, but there's no certainty of that.  I hope that my landlady can do something -- she wants to help.

You haven't said if you've had the kind of extenuating circumstances they list to even qualify for the letter.

Just saying you want one isn't enough.

And yes, they have thought up something for people in your situation with one year visas and unexpired time remaining.

It's right there in the highlighted text:

You contact a visa agent and get up to a 3 month (90 day) extension of your "approval to remain until _____" date in your passport.

I'm not meaning to chastise you, but if you had done that prior to May 29th, you'd have a new "approved to remain" stamp in your passport good until approximately August 27th.

Now, if you attempt to do that (choice 1) you can likely get it approved BUT with an overstay fine since you would NOT be leaving Vietnam, and as the Embassy website clearly states, the grace visa extensions are only for those planning to leave Vietnam on or before June 30th.

Your other choice (only other choice) is to get the Embassy letter BUT you have to provide justification for not having left by now.

I get it.

You wanted to stay so you've waited to see how you could do that.

Maybe you refused to pay an agent because $250.00 seemed too expensive for a 90 day in-country extension.

But by waiting this long you've complicated your own situation.

Unless you can convince the Embassy that you've encountered special circumstances which qualify you for their assistance, I have to disagree that you are ok until June 30th.

I hope you can get this fixed tomorrow, because every extra day is going to cost you in penalties if you don't have the Embassy letter.

Best wishes and good luck!

KruChris, It tells you that Co-vid or not, they still get you.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

And yes, they have thought up something for people in your situation with one year visas and unexpired time remaining.

You contact a visa agent and get up to a 3 month (90 day) extension of your "approval to remain until _____" date in your passport.

I'm not meaning to chastise you, but if you had done that prior to May 29th, you'd have a new "approved to remain" stamp in your passport good until approximately August 27th.

Now, if you attempt to do that (choice 1) you can likely get it approved BUT with an overstay fine since you would NOT be leaving Vietnam, and as the Embassy website clearly states, the grace visa extensions are only for those planning to leave Vietnam on or before June 30th.

Your other choice (only other choice) is to get the Embassy letter BUT you have to provide justification for not having left by now.

I get it.

Maybe you refused to pay an agent because $250.00 seemed too expensive for a 90 day in-country extension.

Unless you can convince the Embassy that you've encountered special circumstances which qualify you for their assistance, I have to disagree that you are ok until June 30th.

I hope you can get this fixed tomorrow, because every extra day is going to cost you in penalties if you don't have the Embassy letter.

I didn't need a visa extension, since the visa is good until October.  Where in the highlighted text is the phrase "You contact a visa agent and get up to a 3 month (90 day) extension of your "approval to remain until _____" date in your passport."?  I do not see those words.

I think my actions were completely logical, but of course the immigration system here is not.

paulmsn wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I get it.

I didn't need a visa extension, since the visa is good until October.  Where in the highlighted text is the phrase "You contact a visa agent and get up to a 3 month (90 day) extension of your "approval to remain until _____" date in your passport."?  I do not see those words.

I think my actions were completely logical, but of course the immigration system here is not.

Yes, you need what is commonly referred to as a "visa extension" or "visa renewal", not a new visa.

The text you can't seem to understand is this:

U.S. citizens may also contact a tourist agency that can sponsor foreigners seeking to extend their visas

Yes, your visa has plenty of valid time remaining.

However, as you've already acknowledged, you were supposed to depart on 27 May 2020 based on a stamp in your passport (from 29 February 2020 when you last entered Vietnam).

The stamp in your passport reads:

"permitted to remain until __ __ ____" ("Được phép tạm trú đến")

THAT is what needs to be extended: your "permission to remain".

You can believe what you want to believe or you can believe the information that's going to help you.

If you want to stay in Vietnam you are going to need to get what is called a visa extension which I just described to you.

Unfortunately you will probably pay an overstay fine too because you didn't get it extended before the 27th of May.

You only qualify for the government's extension of your permission to remain if U are planning to leave Vietnam by the 30th of June.

Also, as I noted in this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=896774

You cannot get an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate if it's related to getting the letter that you're seeking.

You have to apply using the link that I provided on that other thread, filling out the ACS inquiry form.

Then you will hear back from the embassy or consulate.

None of what you link says anything about the date stamp on my passport.  You are interpreting what you read about visa extensions to mean something different from what I interpret it as -- I think it refers to expired visas, but you think it refers also to the requirement to leave every 90 days.  I'd like to see the data that shows your claim is correct.  Nothing I have read even hints at that.

paulmsn wrote:

None of what you link says anything about the date stamp on my passport.  You are interpreting what you read about visa extensions to mean something different from what I interpret it as -- I think it refers to expired visas, but you think it refers also to the requirement to leave every 90 days.  I'd like to see the data that shows your claim is correct.  Nothing I have read even hints at that.

I wish you well.

THIGV wrote:

That's one aspect I don't miss about these forums - the lack of clarity in some posts. Offload..never mind if it makes sense to the next person.

Also, how some moderators only reply to threads and not PMs during public holidays.

Hi guys,

I would like to share my experience which is  I made my way back to Vietnam during the border closed.

I came here last June from Tokyo when I reach Narita airport I had to take a PCR test before 2 hours earlier than my flight the test was negative, the airline at the airport gave me special uniform to wear during my flight time including face masks, gloves and hate. 

Once I reach to Vietnam they try to keep me away from other local passengers and right away they make PCR test again, after immigration clearance they send me to quarantine centre, so my self I chose the place and pay during my stay. I was there for 17 days and during the times they tested me 6 times, but all were negative. after 7 days finally, I can back to normal life. for the total cost, it took $4700 including business class tickets. I have to register the Vietnam embassy in Tokyo, and I received day to day update news from them.

Contem talk wrote:

Hi guys,

I would like to share my experience which is  I made my way back to Vietnam during the border closed.

I came here last June from Tokyo when I reach Narita airport I had to take a PCR test before 2 hours earlier than my flight the test was negative, the airline at the airport gave me special uniform to wear during my flight time including face masks, gloves and hate. 

Once I reach to Vietnam they try to keep me away from other local passengers and right away they make PCR test again, after immigration clearance they send me to quarantine centre, so my self I chose the place and pay during my stay. I was there for 17 days and during the times they tested me 6 times, but all were negative. after 7 days finally, I can back to normal life. for the total cost, it took $4700 including business class tickets. I have to register the Vietnam embassy in Tokyo, and I received day to day update news from them.

I hope wearing that hate wasnt too uncomfortable, lol.  :D

colinoscapee wrote:
Contem talk wrote:

Hi guys,

I hope wearing that hate wasnt too uncomfortable, lol.  :D

It should be correct as Hat,  ;);)

Contem talk wrote:

I came here last June from Tokyo when I reach Narita airport

So you were in Japan, not in Canada at first?

I doubt even the authorities even have an idea. Seems every time there are rumours about borders, visas and tourists nothing happens.

Success in fighting covid-19 worked..but everything else seems to have been forgotten about