Motorbike with Vietnam plates

Does anyone have experience of using a motorbike with Vietnam registered plates in Cambodia?

Yes, I've crossed the border and spent a few weeks in Cambodia with a motorbike with VN plates, I had no problems. It was a few years ago and I was on a tourist visa. However I remember a post in this forum (I'm pretty sure it was from @JoeKhmer) stating that this was technically illegal, even though it's not enforced.

> technically illegal, even though it's not enforced.

In the last couple of weeks, there's been a major crackdown by police (at the order of Hun Sen), to enforce traffic regulations (no licence; no helmet; drunk driving; etc.) and you could find yourself receiving a lot of unwanted attention (and fines).

ulric wrote:

> technically illegal, even though it's not enforced.

In the last couple of weeks, there's been a major crackdown by police (at the order of Hun Sen), to enforce traffic regulations (no licence; no helmet; drunk driving; etc.) and you could find yourself receiving a lot of unwanted attention (and fines).

To be clear, I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to drive a motorbike into Cambodia with Vietnamese plates per se, otherwise they wouldn't let you do it (just as they don't let private passenger cars cross the border). The problematic part is what 99% of foreigners do, e.g. use a Vietnamese bike which is not registered in their name.