Scooter or motorcycle driving license in Cambodia?

Can foreigner on visa go to exam and obtain it?

@narcrepellant2525

Yes you can.

If you drive a moto under 125 cc no need for a DL.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Joe, must be under or can be up to 125cc, like Honda Dream 125cc?

@narcrepellant2525
Yes you can.

If you drive a moto under 125 cc no need for a DL.

Cheers.

Joe
-@JoeKhmer

Dear JoeKhmer, how difficult is the process to obtain DL?

@Mike CL

Up to 125 cc.

I have a 125 cc Airblade, no problem.

Did you ever got stopped by traffic police?

@narcrepellant2525

Never.

They concentrate on no helmet, no lights, no plate and card.

@narcrepellant2525

Once, about 10 years ago, two officers saw us waiting at the red light and checked our licenses. They tried to get us (we were two, on two bikes) to pay a fine, because supposedly our driver's licenses weren't valid to drive in Cambodia. We refused to pay since our bikes were 50 and 70 cc, so they let us go.

Did anybody went to drivers license exam in Cambodia?

@narcrepellant2525
Never.

They concentrate on no helmet, no lights, no plate and card.
-@JoeKhmer

Never lol. Im sorry but reality is quite different. i dont remember a single day where i didnt had to pay an imaginary "infraction" . i came to hate driving my motorbyke, and i had my partner with me (khmer) and i was able to discuss in khmer , it didnt help at all. i sold that motorbyke to her brother, i couldn't stand it anymore. There is a reason if there are sites and apps to mark police spots, ye?

You don't need to go through an exam to get a licence to drive moto over 125cc. I think you just need to buy a Cambodian car driving licence  but you have to buy it every year. The last time I bought it, it was 35$ ( 6/7 years ago). If you want to buy a Cambodian driving Licence you will need to show your foreign driving licence too , at least to drive a car. To drive a moto over 125cc, I don't know if you need to show something.

@narcrepellant2525

If on a long-term Visa, yes.

My USA license expired, so they told me to take the test.  Rumor is that is is not easy and I and sure if classes are required/needed.

I am to skitish to deal with it.

The laws are bound to be different. So, even if you can drive, it is may not be easy.

I hear they are especially strict on the parking part of the test.

@Filot

You forgot to mention the reason why you were fined so many times.

As I mentioned no helmet (rider and passenger), no lights, no plate, no card are the usual reasons to get stopped and fined.

Another reason is driving against traffic but as a responsible foreigner you wouldn't have done that.

Cheers.

Joe

@Filot
You forgot to mention the reason why you were fined so many times.

As I mentioned no helmet (rider and passenger), no lights, no plate, no card are the usual reasons to get stopped and fined.

Another reason is driving against traffic but as a responsible foreigner you wouldn't have done that.

Cheers.

Joe
-@JoeKhmer

I second that. I've been touring all over Cambodia twice, and was only stopped once for no reason. And these cops didn't insist a lot, as soon as they realized that we weren't just gonna pay, they let it go. I had the same experience in Vietnam, where I've driven thousands of kilometers. And just like you say, wearing a helmet and driving responsibly probably helped.